Mads to Bordeaux - confirmed

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

R-Dog
Graduate

Re: Mads to Bordeaux - confirmed

Post by R-Dog »

erskinechilders wrote:My god Nucifora and Schmidt must be grinning like Cheshire cats at this news. Really solidifies their no-foreigners policy. If he gets his way and Bordeaux cancel the remaining year it would be a massive opportunity for the IRFU. They have to try and do something about Boschoff in Connacht.

Madigan returning to Leinster would be pointless imo. They've discovered both Carbery and Byrne because of his departure. Connacht would be the ideal scenario and with him going there it would be a top class IQ out-half in each province ( Bleyendaal qualifies next year ), as well as that a future Irish 10 behind each one of those players.

Leinster : Sexton, Carbery, Byrne, Marsh
Munster : Bleyendaal, Keatley ( if he stays ), Johnston
Ulster : Jackson, Herron, McPhillips
Connacht : Madigan , Carty
You can add JJ in at Munster too
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I think Keats is off to France. But JJ is back
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:He should come back to Ireland and play Scrumhalf :lol: :lol:
Joe might see some merit in that suggestion.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

erskinechilders wrote:My god Nucifora and Schmidt must be grinning like Cheshire cats at this news. Really solidifies their no-foreigners policy. If he gets his way and Bordeaux cancel the remaining year it would be a massive opportunity for the IRFU. They have to try and do something about Boschoff in Connacht.

Madigan returning to Leinster would be pointless imo. They've discovered both Carbery and Byrne because of his departure. Connacht would be the ideal scenario and with him going there it would be a top class IQ out-half in each province ( Bleyendaal qualifies next year ), as well as that a future Irish 10 behind each one of those players.

Leinster : Sexton, Carbery, Byrne, Marsh
Munster : Bleyendaal, JJ Harrahan, Johnston ( Keatley probably gone )
Ulster : Jackson, Herron, McPhillips
Connacht : Madigan , Carty
IRFU will love it I agree but not sure that they will be as keen to take him back. In general its great that Madigan wants to come back and is very open to any of the provinces but its hard to believe that the option wan't put to him last year and he chose (understandably) the big bucks on offer in France, knowing that he was essentially r
ruling himself out of the Ireland set up. Not sure what space there is for him - Connacht don't have to do anything about Boshoff - he signed up for 3 years, and got injured almost as soon as he arrived. Carty and Ronaldson are also tied up for next year (and I Think Carty is confirmed for the year after as well). There might be a spot there but its not a big money spot and not sure IRFU will (or should) pony up for Madigan to come back. The Boshoff contract was surely his if he wanted it
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I think it's a little revealing that people are talking and writing about the presence of Marnitz Boshoff at Connacht being a significant barrier to Madigan going there.

Firstly, Boshoff has played all of two games for Connacht, so there's practically no form at all to base an opinion on; secondly, he only made 20 Super Rugby starts in his career, so it's not like he has a strong, high calibre body of work that people can point to as evidence; thirdly, he's the same age as Madigan, i.e. one isn't going to outstrip the other as one declines/hits their prime.

Most importantly, he has one cap off the bench for South Africa, and Madigan has thirty for Ireland ... do people honestly still think that there is a big gulf between ourselves and South Africa, that a Springbok cap is more credible than an Irish cap? Because I don't.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

hugonaut wrote:I think it's a little revealing that people are talking and writing about the presence of Marnitz Boshoff at Connacht being a significant barrier to Madigan going there.

Firstly, Boshoff has played all of two games for Connacht, so there's practically no form at all to base an opinion on; secondly, he only made 20 Super Rugby starts in his career, so it's not like he has a strong, high calibre body of work that people can point to as evidence; thirdly, he's the same age as Madigan, i.e. one isn't going to outstrip the other as one declines/hits their prime.

Most importantly, he has one cap off the bench for South Africa, and Madigan has thirty for Ireland ... do people honestly still think that there is a big gulf between ourselves and South Africa, that a Springbok cap is more credible than an Irish cap? Because I don't.
If Boshoff has a better tactical brain for playing 10 it could end up similar to how he was behind Gopperth at Leinster though. Plus, there might be an opportunity for Steve Crosbie at outhalf if Connacht extend his deal and Madigan doesn't move there. Ulster might be a better bet for Madigan with Jackson away quite a lot, Nelson being more of a 15/13, and Herron not exactly having set the world alight. I suppose the flip side of that would be that, were he to go to Connacht, his and Boshoff's time would only overlap by one season
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

hugonaut wrote:I think it's a little revealing that people are talking and writing about the presence of Marnitz Boshoff at Connacht being a significant barrier to Madigan going there.

Well Boshoff being there is a significant barrier to Madigan going there - Connacht have two out halves (Carty and Boshoff) signed up to end of 2019 season - of course that impacts recruitment at out half

I agree with a lot of what you say but its just as easy to look at it from the other side - Boshoff was a pretty big signing for Connacht and they obviously have a lot of time for him - 3 year contract would suggest that. The fact that that he has played so little for them means there are as likely to still have faith in him (bit like Bleyendaal in that sense). People in Connacht will be very familiar with Madigan as an outhalf - that is not necessarily a big selling point

The fact that he has played for South Africa is surely a positive for Connacht? - no potential to lose him to internationals

They are very different players - if anything Carty is more in Madigans way than anything else - Boshoff is a very steady good controller of a game, without being exciting.

Carty and Boshoff were signed /re-signed after Madigan announced his move to Bordeaux - the time for this move was last year. I actually think its difficult to see Madigan there - either needs Connacht to stump up big cash and carry three senior 10s (obviously a knock on effect to that elsewhere in their budget), pay off and release Carty or Boshoff, IRFU step in and pay the money. I'm not sure I see any of that happening. You could see Madigan accept whatever is on offer in order to get back and go into a group with Boshoff/Carty and Ronaldson as the 10/12 options for Connacht. That would be fantastic to see, but very unrealistic

Leinster forever - Boshoff sigedn for 3 years afaik so here until 2019. Can't see him at Ulster - Jackson is younger and better (and who they are likely to build around and they have Nelson, McPhillips coming up as well. Not like they need versatile players with Olding, Marshall etc around also - think he has missed the boat tbh - hopefully something gets sorted at Connacht - new coach would obviously help the possibility - he is not going to have a loyalty to Boshoff and may have been promised some good signings
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Isn't Boshoff's deal for two years, not three? Seem to remember hearing two at the time
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

leinsterforever wrote:Isn't Boshoff's deal for two years, not three? Seem to remember hearing two at the time

Connacht gave him 2

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-si ... nnachtNews

Golfy subsidised a third year when he heard Maddog was on the prowl.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

OTT wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:Isn't Boshoff's deal for two years, not three? Seem to remember hearing two at the time

Connacht gave him 2

Fair enough - was convinced it was 3 - doesn't change much really - although if he did see out his contract at Bordeaux then the timings might suit for moving in 2018. His comments are all a bit strange tbh - only there a couple of months, very critical of the set up, talks about the stress of being teh starting 10, angling for a move when he has that long left - all in all not the brightest move by Ian the more I think about it
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Golf Man wrote:
OTT wrote:

Connacht gave him 2

Fair enough - was convinced it was 3 - doesn't change much really - although if he did see out his contract at Bordeaux then the timings might suit for moving in 2018. His comments are all a bit strange tbh - only there a couple of months, very critical of the set up, talks about the stress of being teh starting 10, angling for a move when he has that long left - all in all not the brightest move by Ian the more I think about it

In your opinion the 3 year contract that you built your whole point around which is now a 2 year contract doesn't change much really? eh...okay.

I wouldn't over think it. He made a decision/choice to go to France it did not work out and now he is looking to come back to Ireland. Has his stock gone down? probably yes. Can the IRFU get him cheaper then 12months ago? probably yes. Could he do a job at Connacht? probably yes. If he was available to Ireland that would be a positive imo if it does not happen good luck to him where ever he ends up.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

OTT wrote:
Golf Man wrote:
OTT wrote:

In your opinion the 3 year contract that you built your whole point around which is now a 2 year contract doesn't change much really? eh...okay.

I wouldn't over think it. He made a decision/choice to go to France it did not work out and now he is looking to come back to Ireland. Has his stock gone down? probably yes. Can the IRFU get him cheaper then 12months ago? probably yes. Could he do a job at Connacht? probably yes. If he was available to Ireland that would be a positive imo if it does not happen good luck to him where ever he ends up.
It changes nothing at this point in time - Carty and Boshoff are signed up for next year (which was my whole point), so there isn't a lot of space on the Connacht roster (or presumably money) to take Madigan back early from Bordeaux. It is a bot weird that he is making these statements now - if he waited until the end of the season (ie 6 months before he'd be signing a new contract) then you can see a route for Madigan with Boshoff being let go (obv depends on how he goes when he gets the games). I think you are underestimating the money aspect btw - 500K was the widely circulated figure for Madigan going to Bordeaux - coming back next year he would possibly get less than he was at in Leinster before he left - that's a huge drop

As you said good luck to him wherever he goes - his experience will certainly be an example used by the IRFU when other players are looking at moving though
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Lads Connacht have effectively said they don't want Madigan.
Issue is I think Madigan has ambition to be a 10 but hasn't skillset. He's a running rugby guy but terrible kicking game and overall vision needed of a 10

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Golf Man wrote: I think you are underestimating the money aspect btw - 500K was the widely circulated figure for Madigan going to Bordeaux - coming back next year he would possibly get less than he was at in Leinster before he left - that's a huge drop

As you said good luck to him wherever he goes - his experience will certainly be an example used by the IRFU when other players are looking at moving though

There is always the carrot of International cash to make up for the drop in base Salery. If he had stayed at leinster for example he would have been challenging Jackson for Ireland over the last 6 months and could easily picked up a good chunk of change in appearance fees and win bonuses.

I would also say is off field marketability is alot greater in Ireland than in France or even the UK where Pro sports stars are a dime a dozen
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Mads, Ulster and Ireland could do a lot worse than look at a contract as cover 9/10. He is not now going to usurp the 10, or even back-up 10 in Leinster, Munster or Connacht. Development moves on at a pace.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Mads, Ulster and Ireland could do a lot worse than look at a contract as cover 9/10. He is not now going to usurp the 10, or even back-up 10 in Leinster, Munster or Connacht. Development moves on at a pace.
It has been remarkable how quickly our depth in most positions has improved.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Midi Olympique reporting he has been offered 500k sterling per year by Northampton.
Even a Mads fan like me would estimate that as being a lot of lolly for his services. Currently almost 600k in our money and the sterling will regain more strength.
He's had some great times with Ireland but a couple of seasons on that salary, added to what he is supposedly on in Bordeaux, could set him up for a good chunk of his life...combined with some lucrative egg promotions.
It would end his Ireland career, unless the IRFU change their rules, but there doesn't seem to be any realistic avenue for him to come back next season anyway. Ulster could do with a back-up 10 but surely couldn't offer much more than a third of that.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

curates_egg wrote:Midi Olympique reporting he has been offered 500k sterling per year by Northampton.
Even a Mads fan like me would estimate that as being a lot of lolly for his services. Currently almost 600k in our money and the sterling will regain more strength.
He's had some great times with Ireland but a couple of seasons on that salary, added to what he is supposedly on in Bordeaux, could set him up for a good chunk of his life...combined with some lucrative egg promotions.
It would end his Ireland career, unless the IRFU change their rules, but there doesn't seem to be any realistic avenue for him to come back next season anyway. Ulster could do with a back-up 10 but surely couldn't offer much more than a third of that.
That's crazy money, if true.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

cormac wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Midi Olympique reporting he has been offered 500k sterling per year by Northampton.
That's crazy money, if true.
Picked up by the online rugby writers now. Here's the Indo: http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/n ... 85753.html
Presumably picked up from Gavin Mortimer's tweet - he's the Rugby World's French hack who tweets from MO and L'Equipe each morning.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Northampton can certainly afford that sort of wedge to a top-rank, place-kickin out-half. The question is, does Mads fulfill that description?

I believe he does,with a fast passing scrum-half who can take some heat with ocassional breaks, and a big ball-carrying mid-field which give him outlets for slow ball, without having to double skip or try to create gaps himself.

Myler is a competent place kicker and judicious controller of a backline, but not somebody who is going to set an attack alight. If Mads was playing with Dickson or Groom inside and Burrell, Estelles or Pisi in mid-field with George North and Pisi eile on the wings and Foden at full-back, he could add a lot more than just 90% kicking stats.

Saints are,like Leicester, in a slump, results wise and style wise. Mallinder is one of the three best Coaches in the Premiership but unless results start coming even that may not be enough to keep him in situ. Spending some of the boss's money, on the prospect of better days ahead, is a logical way to both distract from the present and bolster yourself against a current frailty, whilst focussing minds on the future.

If it has been offered, Mads and his agent should bite their hands off. In the meantime, practice his penalty line-kicking and kicking from hand from defensive positions. Both of those skills are weak but, when strengthened, make an out-half a legend to his own forwards. Mads could do with allies up front, as he hasn't had many in years past.