Mads to Bordeaux - confirmed

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Mads to Bordeaux - confirmed

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
curates_egg wrote:I will remain in my default stance of Madigan is the best running outhalf I have seen in Ireland in the 30 odd years I have been watching the game.
If the 30 years excludes Paul Dean then I have no problem agreeing with you.
It does unfortunately. I can only go on the word of others for his abilities. That and the animated gifs and his agent's youtube highlight reel.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ah come on, Dave. Deano was good, very, very good, I'll admit, but Ollie was KING!!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

riocard911 wrote:Ah come on, Dave. Deano was good, very, very good, I'll admit, but Ollie was KING!!!
Yes, but we're simply talking about a running outhalf, and thats where Dean was brilliant. He couldn't kick the ball for toffee, but give him the ball and a yard of grass...
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
riocard911 wrote:Ah come on, Dave. Deano was good, very, very good, I'll admit, but Ollie was KING!!!
Yes, but we're simply talking about a running outhalf, and thats where Dean was brilliant. He couldn't kick the ball for toffee, but give him the ball and a yard of grass...
... and he was gone!!! I well remember.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
He's no john Robertson
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Barry McGann is at least worth a punt in this discussion.
Dean was also a very solid defender.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Ian Madigan 15 Racing 9...
usual performance from Mads tonight...you know what you get with him
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Unless you are an O'Connor or a Cullen who doesn't know his ass from his elbow
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

French papers loved the style more than the substance. A lot like our match reports from '14-15; some crtiticism of his kicking from hand; adulation at his skip passes; incredulity at his bravery in the tackle and lip-smacking about some of his half-breaks. All in all, the local fans loved him and his instructions, in French, could apparently be heard in Row Z.

The Mads has arrived!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought his passing was very good, more forgiving (can't think of the correct term) than usual. He blew one try scoring chance by firing a skip pass when hands quick hands would have done but generally it was very good.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Thought his passing was very good, more forgiving (can't think of the correct term) than usual. He blew one try scoring chance by firing a skip pass when hands quick hands would have done but generally it was very good.
Doesn't sound like something he'd do?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

How easy it is to forget that the Top 14 is largely a slug-fest, until you watch a game like Toulouse v Bordeaux on a pitch with terrible surface in Stadium Ernest Walton in Toulouse. The home side won 22-17 and yes, Mads missed a pen and convert which would have tied it up.

But, he gave a great scoring pass and kicked 2 pens, one a monster from half-way. His defence and distribution were excellent from the moment he replaced the injured Beauxis who suffered a quad injury on 20 mins.

A teak-tough bruising encounter olayed with the intensity of a test match but with the imagination of 3rd B rugby in December.

Mads can handle this every week if necessary but Bordeaux need to find the key to avoiding playing games in this style which doesn't suit their skill-set or outlook.

Would expect Mads to collect a couple more "etoiles" this week. He has started very well.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Ruckedtobits wrote:How easy it is to forget that the Top 14 is largely a slug-fest, until you watch a game like Toulouse v Bordeaux on a pitch with terrible surface in Stadium Ernest Walton in Toulouse. The home side won 22-17 and yes, Mads missed a pen and convert which would have tied it up.

But, he gave a great scoring pass and kicked 2 pens, one a monster from half-way. His defence and distribution were excellent from the moment he replaced the injured Beauxis who suffered a quad injury on 20 mins.

A teak-tough bruising encounter olayed with the intensity of a test match but with the imagination of 3rd B rugby in December.

Mads can handle this every week if necessary but Bordeaux need to find the key to avoiding playing games in this style which doesn't suit their skill-set or outlook.

Would expect Mads to collect a couple more "etoiles" this week. He has started very well.
Christ. I hope he is not checking this forum if he ever did.
Looked like a player invigorated after the past season at Leinster in particular. Must be delighted to get away from the haters.
Having stayed in a job too long and had it effect me and my performance, I can only empathise with him.
The fans seem to love him already, so it must be like 2013 all over for him.

He missed one easy kick but Toulouse missed about 4 or 5, so I don't think you can claim anything about missed kicks costing anyone anything. Bordeaux's lineout is probably more what cost them the game (they coughed up a try after losing a lineout on their 5 yard line...and they lost a ton). Classic Madigan pass for the try. They really seem to be encouraging him to play to his strengths...which I guess is what happens when you have a good coach. Of course, their natural style of play suits his running and audacious passing game.

I'll be in the region in September and am planning on catching a game. They've started very well anyway (winning against the champions and getting a losing bonus in Toulouse), so they will hopefully keep that momentum up and play with some verve when I'm there. I will be wearing my smelly old heavy cotton 2006 geansai, so I hope it's not too hot.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Didn't see the latest game yet, but another win for Bordeaux and 4 pens and two cons for Mads against Bayonne in a 40-20 victory. Now mid-table with La Rochelle surprising many at top of the Table. Birch needs a result from Grenoble to get their Season started.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

From Simon E in the IT - this must be music to Mads' ears but where does he lie in the pecking order?

“At the moment we’ve got three guys there. Ian Madigan is out in France and he was unavailable last weekend but he’s another guy who would be real quality and has been in the environment before. So we’ve got some real depth in that position and options in different styles as well.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2859891

For me it's

1. Sexton
2. Jackson
3. Carbery
4. Madigan.

...but I expect some movement in that order in the next 12 months, or even in the next month.

Good times for green 10's
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

dont want the guys in situ getting complacent

would concur with that pecking order, would throw TB in at 4 next Autumn
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Also Tyler will qualify for Ireland next year I think.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

outcast eddie wrote:From Simon E in the IT - this must be music to Mads' ears but where does he lie in the pecking order?

“At the moment we’ve got three guys there. Ian Madigan is out in France and he was unavailable last weekend but he’s another guy who would be real quality and has been in the environment before. So we’ve got some real depth in that position and options in different styles as well.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2859891

For me it's

1. Sexton
2. Jackson
3. Carbery
4. Madigan.

...but I expect some movement in that order in the next 12 months, or even in the next month.

Good times for green 10's
Was amazed with Easterbunny's comment given that Mads is hors de combat till the end of November at least with knee injury.

Personally, have to agree that TB is a decent prospect but so is Jack Carty, if he was allowed to play his own game, and not just (sometimes) crazy run the ball.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Mads is hors de combat till the end of November at least with knee injury.
Are you "some bloke called" Gerry in disguise?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

offshorerules wrote:Also Tyler will qualify for Ireland next year I think.
January 2018.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!