Mads to Bordeaux - confirmed

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Mads to Bordeaux - confirmed

Post by curates_egg »

Bristol have apparently offered even more than 500k sterling to Mads but he has a deal pencilled with Northampton. Crazy money.
http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/sokeef ... digan-bid/
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

curates_egg wrote:Bristol have apparently offered even more than 500k sterling to Mads but he has a deal pencilled with Northampton. Crazy money.
http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/sokeef ... digan-bid/
That article seriously needs an editor to read over it :shock:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Oh no. We are up to 3 Simon o'keeffes. :shock:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

there can be only one
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe wrote:there can be only one
When are you having "The Quickening"?
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

I have seen very little of Madigan this season but will be interested to see if he has addressed his kickoffs, a particular glaring fault in his game. It is a required element within a top outhalf's arsenal and one that Madigan has either ignored or found impossible to master.

It's a pity things haven't gone well for him in France, as a couple of years as top dog in a 10 jersey would have been important for his development and could/would have been the making of him. As disappointed as he is with that I imagine the Bordeaux faithful can't be too impressed with his blatant posturing to leave 6 months into his first season.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Think he was told to seek a contract elsewhere
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Somewhat susprised to see reference this morning in an Indo interview with Farrell, Grenoble and soon to Munster, where he suggests that Mads kept a long-term groin injury hidden from Bordeaux S&C and medical staff for 5 months, because he didn't have full faith in them.

Not smart to behave like this but not clever of Chris Farrell to drop info like that so casually.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Peg Leg wrote:Think he was told to seek a contract elsewhere
I certainly didn't read it like that. The fact that he was so outspoken would suggest that he is definitely leaving (I'm assuming if it was still a possibility to stay he wouldn't be as openly critical). It all reflects badly on him though - suggesting that they do things a different way, attitudes aren't great, very hard slog - etc we could all have told him that
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Golf Man wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Think he was told to seek a contract elsewhere
I certainly didn't read it like that. The fact that he was so outspoken would suggest that he is definitely leaving (I'm assuming if it was still a possibility to stay he wouldn't be as openly critical). It all reflects badly on him though - suggesting that they do things a different way, attitudes aren't great, very hard slog - etc we could all have told him that
The interview with him I read suggested he was sidelined by Ibanez, went to talk to the president to try and figure out a way forward, and only then proactively started looking around (and publicising it).
Ibanez and co have come under serious fire and there are lots of report of Bordeaux being at sixes and sevens.
I went and saw them play at the start of the season. They had a very good start to the season too. Then something seemed to go wrong.
There was a big brouhaha when Ibanez started doing TV punditry instead of attending matches: he didn't travel to Exeter for the Champions Cup game and their season started to dramatically unravel after that.
A real shame as they were not only doing well but playing well. Madigan seemed to be enjoying playing with Serin, who - although young - is a classic controlling, general scrumhalf, which freed up Madigan to do the things he likes doing. I think his kicking from hand was still a bit cat though.
Then he got injured or got his injury treated and they re-signed that Kiwi outhalf, who hasn't exactly been doing well for them.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Somewhat susprised to see reference this morning in an Indo interview with Farrell, Grenoble and soon to Munster, where he suggests that Mads kept a long-term groin injury hidden from Bordeaux S&C and medical staff for 5 months, because he didn't have full faith in them.

Not smart to behave like this but not clever of Chris Farrell to drop info like that so casually.
It's not new news RTB. Mads told Murray Kinsella about the injury last week https://www.google.ie/amp/www.the42.ie/ ... %3Famp%3D1
Murray Kinsella wrote:
However, Madigan soon picked up a groin issue, which was related to the changes in training methodology at Bordeaux.

“I picked up a bit of a groin injury, which was partly down to the change in environment. I went from knowing how Leinster operates, their strength and conditioning coaches, to moving to a different environment in Bordeaux and having a different set-up with both their strength and their conditioning; the length of time on the pitch and I also had the added stress of being a regular starter.

“In France, a lot of the games come down to goal-kicking, so I was practicing my goal kicking more and more. Between doing the extra time with pitch sessions with the team – it is more regulated in Ireland, so it might be only on the field for an hour, an hour and 10 minutes, whereas in France you can be closer to an hour and a half, two hours.

“With that added in and the extra kicking I was doing, and also trying to maintain the strength work I was doing previously in Leinster and Ireland on top of that, I picked up a bit of a groin problem.”

Madigan says he attempted to manage the injury at first, but the intermittent pain began to affect his confidence and his performances levels waned. After his high-profile transfer from Ireland, he felt he wasn’t in a position to take time out to let his groin heal.

“I was probably feeling a bit of pressure, as I had just come into the club for seven or eight games – I’d had a good injury profile previously – so I was keeping it to myself.”

It culminated in “a poor personal performance” away to Castres in October, whereafter Madigan finally told Bordeaux’s medical team about the issue. After undergoing a scan, he was diagnosed with “a split in my tendon” and advised to take a month out of the game
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Xanthippe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Somewhat susprised to see reference this morning in an Indo interview with Farrell, Grenoble and soon to Munster, where he suggests that Mads kept a long-term groin injury hidden from Bordeaux S&C and medical staff for 5 months, because he didn't have full faith in them.

It's not new news RTB. Mads told Murray Kinsella about the injury last week https://www.google.ie/amp/www.the42.ie/ ... %3Famp%3D1
Murray Kinsella wrote:
However, Madigan soon picked up a groin issue, which was related to the changes in training methodology at Bordeaux.

“I picked up a bit of a groin injury, which was partly down to the change in environment. I went from knowing how Leinster operates, their strength and conditioning coaches, to moving to a different environment in Bordeaux and having a different set-up with both their strength and their conditioning; the length of time on the pitch and I also had the added stress of being a regular starter.

“In France, a lot of the games come down to goal-kicking, so I was practicing my goal kicking more and more. Between doing the extra time with pitch sessions with the team – it is more regulated in Ireland, so it might be only on the field for an hour, an hour and 10 minutes, whereas in France you can be closer to an hour and a half, two hours.

“With that added in and the extra kicking I was doing, and also trying to maintain the strength work I was doing previously in Leinster and Ireland on top of that, I picked up a bit of a groin problem.”

Madigan says he attempted to manage the injury at first, but the intermittent pain began to affect his confidence and his performances levels waned. After his high-profile transfer from Ireland, he felt he wasn’t in a position to take time out to let his groin heal.

“I was probably feeling a bit of pressure, as I had just come into the club for seven or eight games – I’d had a good injury profile previously – so I was keeping it to myself.”

It culminated in “a poor personal performance” away to Castres in October, whereafter Madigan finally told Bordeaux’s medical team about the issue. After undergoing a scan, he was diagnosed with “a split in my tendon” and advised to take a month out of the game
2.26 am Xan? I hope you're on holliers in Amereeka!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

curates_egg wrote:
Nope. Insomnia's a pain in the arse - as is the arthritis which makes the insomnia so much more painful
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Xanthippe wrote:

Murray Kinsella wrote:

Thanks Xan, I stand corrected, with apologies to Chris Farrell.

Certainly a bad call by Mads to try to self-diagnose or self-monitor an injury as difficult as this. It doesn't suggest that the Bordeaux set-up has the management structure to optimise their recruitment capacity.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Anyone see the Franno article on Mads today? Franno at the peak of his bluster.
Madigan is probably wishing for a Bobby Ewing shower scene where everyone else has only dreamt he went away.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Franno is right on a lot in that article I must say.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Xanthippe wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Nope. Insomnia's a pain in the arse - as is the arthritis which makes the insomnia so much more painful
Just looked at your points table on twitter. An increase in points at this time in the season every year from the previous. That's mad Ted! :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Off to Bristol, according to reports.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Thats a mad thing to do Ted
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

playing in the championship did Gavin Duffy's international career no harm... :cry:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon