Mads to Bordeaux - confirmed

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Mads to Bordeaux - confirmed

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Golf Man wrote:Only place he could go would be Connacht - not sure he'd go or they would want him tbh - Boshoff is there and probably a bit more like what Connacht need, rather than Madigan. I'd love him to go there but in reality he would be more of a 10/12 and possibly more 12/10 if he did - obviously would be a big drop in pay as well
If Schmidt wants him back in Ireland a place will be found for him and Boshoff will have a lot of time for sightseeing.

I don't think Schmidt is particularly concerned though, apart from a belt and braces POV. He has Sexton, Jackson, Carbery, Keatley and Byrne and he will have Bleyandaal (I'm going to have to learn how to spell that properly!) next year.
just say TB Dave, its the easy way around it

but think youre right, when TB IQs next Jan we've a good amount of outhalves
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

BlueBlue wrote:Northampton, not because I wish it, but because I think it will happen.
They love a flakey Irish 10/12 over there.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Golf Man wrote:Only place he could go would be Connacht - not sure he'd go or they would want him tbh - Boshoff is there and probably a bit more like what Connacht need, rather than Madigan. I'd love him to go there but in reality he would be more of a 10/12 and possibly more 12/10 if he did - obviously would be a big drop in pay as well
If Schmidt wants him back in Ireland a place will be found for him and Boshoff will have a lot of time for sightseeing.

I don't think Schmidt is particularly concerned though, apart from a belt and braces POV. He has Sexton, Jackson, Carbery, Keatley and Byrne and he will have Bleyandaal (I'm going to have to learn how to spell that properly!) next year.
Well he probably won't have Keatley as he is likely to leave Munster - might go back to Connacht, but France seems to be the likely destination

No where near as simple as you make out though - Schmidt would probably like all of them in Ireland so that they are available to him, but he simply can't make them - we have enough evidence of this. I'm sure Schmidt would like Moore to be playing in Ireland for example but if he doesn't want to join another province and they don't want to pay him what he'll get elsewhere then nothing Schmidt or anyone else can do.

Connacht is the only option for Madigan and Schmidt could well encourage Madigan to go there, but they ain't going to be topping up salaries for the likes of Madigan - he simply is not at that level. It would be great to see Madigan in Connacht and turning down bigger money, but there is no guarantee he would start at Connacht. Hasn't got ahead of Jimmy Gopperth and Simon Hickey in his two most recent clubs - is he likely to get past Boshoff?

Madigan unfortunately for him is always likely to be seen as versatile - thats attractive in its own right and maybe he should accept that.

Big move for him next wherever he goes
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Wouldn't Madigan be suited to Connacht game. I think he'd be a superstar in Super Rugby as his game is suited more to sH than Europe

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

He should come back to Ireland and play Scrumhalf :lol: :lol:
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

MunsterSugar wrote:Wouldn't Madigan be suited to Connacht game. I think he'd be a superstar in Super Rugby as his game is suited more to sH than Europe

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Don't necessarily think so - as a 12 quite possibly - I think they need a little bit more control at 10 to counter/balance the general approach

On teh southernm hemisphere - not for me - all the best out halves down there, know how to control the game - he might be able to make more use of his off teh cuff approach, but his game management has always been the issue. I think he was figured out to some extent after 2013, and probably hasn't adapted as well as hoped, despite some very good days. Would have liked to see him more at 12 tbh
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:He should come back to Ireland and play Scrumhalf :lol: :lol:
stop it you :P
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

scrum half - ulster.....the pipes are calling.....
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

tingman wrote:scrum half - ulster.....the pipes are calling.....
:lol:
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Madigan was just on 2FM and he REALLY wants a move to Connacht.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

joooooe wrote:Madigan was just on 2FM and he REALLY wants a move to Connacht.
Great stuff. A move there could be just the thing for him. I hope it comes about.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

riocard911 wrote:
Great stuff. A move there could be just the thing for him. I hope it comes about.
Are we going to lose Ray, tho?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
riocard911 wrote:
Are we going to lose Ray, tho?
not as long as we keep Noel Reid

IRFU shouldve offered him a central to stay in Ireland, but it is heartening to see how much playing for Ireland means to him
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I'm pretty certain Ray still is in Ireland, he's not for moving him!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

Can we stop with the 'poor lad hasn't adapted to another country' bullshit. We're a land of emigrants. Wherever we go there's a pub with our name on it.

Jaysus the drizzle isn't that good!
He's an hour from home. He spent summers there as a kid.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

neilinboston wrote:Can we stop with the 'poor lad hasn't adapted to another country' bullshit. We're a land of emigrants. Wherever we go there's a pub with our name on it.

What is this comment in relation to? I think one person has mentioned [in a single sentence, almost in passing] that he may have struggled to adapt to living in a foreign country!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

hugonaut wrote:
neilinboston wrote:Can we stop with the 'poor lad hasn't adapted to another country' bullshit. We're a land of emigrants. Wherever we go there's a pub with our name on it.

What is this comment in relation to? I think one person has mentioned [in a single sentence, almost in passing] that he may have struggled to adapt to living in a foreign country!
Very strange comment indeed.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Seems to be a case of not getting enough starts/relationship with coach and international exile

reading the interview on RTE he seems annoyed over the players being roatted in general and big names like AAC leaving but it seems like a trade dispute with his employers as much as anything
Last edited by simonokeeffe on February 23rd, 2017, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

hugonaut wrote:I think one person has mentioned [in a single sentence, almost in passing] that he may have struggled to adapt to living in a foreign country!
Ye see there it is again. For the love of god will people stop bringing this up.!
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

My god Nucifora and Schmidt must be grinning like Cheshire cats at this news. Really solidifies their no-foreigners policy. If he gets his way and Bordeaux cancel the remaining year it would be a massive opportunity for the IRFU. They have to try and do something about Boschoff in Connacht.

Madigan returning to Leinster would be pointless imo. They've discovered both Carbery and Byrne because of his departure. Connacht would be the ideal scenario and with him going there it would be a top class IQ out-half in each province ( Bleyendaal qualifies next year ), as well as that a future Irish 10 behind each one of those players.

Leinster : Sexton, Carbery, Byrne, Marsh
Munster : Bleyendaal, JJ Harrahan, Johnston ( Keatley probably gone )
Ulster : Jackson, Herron, McPhillips
Connacht : Madigan , Carty
Last edited by erskinechilders on February 23rd, 2017, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.