Ospreys v Leinster Friday 7.45 Sky/BBCW

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Ospreys v Leinster Friday 7.45 Sky/BBCW

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That was a seriously important performance in that we weren't as coherent a team as against Connacht or Munster but we showed precision in attack which we haven't displayed against a top team, possibly since Northampton away 14 months ago.

Three excellent tries in terrible conditions, each of them the result of great prep and super execution.

A number of players off the boil at different times but we kept them out at vital times and really nailed them with decisive attacks. IMO, great coaching performance and true out-half display by JS. Personally would have given MOTM to DK, but no concern that JS display was recognised.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Really happy with that anyway. Thought the starting front row were excellent, the scrum was a real weapon before the ref decided to make it a lottery. Toner was really good, McCarthy stepped up around the time I said he was looking tired when we really needed him to and in fairness to Denton he was decent when he came on too. Dippy missed a couple of tackles but thought he was excellent outside of that. Ruddock was excellent defensively and SOB worked hard in defence and at the breakdown (some excellent clearouts) but quiet enough with ball in hand.

Luke McGrath just looked a bit slow in the first half. He even looked awkward bending down to pick up the ball and never looked like threatening a break. I've had knee issues myself and him bottling the high ball at the end of the first half had all the hallmarks of someone minding their knee. Instead of getting in the air and leaving yourself vulnerable, you face the opposition on your strong side and just let that take the impact and keep your bad leg out of the way. I didn't think he was bad by any means though. By and large he was grand and Sexton couldn't have played as well as he did if Luke had been poor.

Hard to judge the outside backs due to the conditions. Isa and the Kearneys chased really well though and obviously Dave took his tries brilliantly. Isa's defence was immense and I love the way he doesn't let the ball die, must be a nightmare to play against. Pity about the stupid penalty he gave away though. Luke Fitz was quiet but it wasn't a game for him really, not in the centre anyway. Te'o was good though, himself and Isa were similar in that they probably didn't see much ball but really made it count when they did.

The thing that impressed me the most was just how composed we looked. Not sure why we gave away stupid penalties when we weren't under pressure but regardless of that we just looked comfortable and were particularly good at defending in our 22 and just turning the ball over and clearing our lines. Given that we're out of europe already and there's been a certain amount of pressure on us over the last while, that's really impressive.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Well that was a great win. Scrum, defence and handling, especially considering the weather, were all magnificent. We're definitely heading in the right direction now after what could safely be described as a frustrating two years
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

unbelievable skill from Isa in first half to field JS cross-kick and then instantly to get a kick ahead away before landing in touch......all done in atrocious conditions
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

alanair wrote:would someone please tell Sky that 'player mic' is a whole heap of sh*t and is just annoying
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... highlights
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

blockhead wrote:
alanair wrote:would someone please tell Sky that 'player mic' is a whole heap of sh*t and is just annoying
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... highlights
He's not quite a Willie Mason . ..
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Absolutely delighted with that. Other than wavering a bit in the third quarter during their purple patch, we managed tough conditions pretty well and Johnny looked seriously sharp. Te'o barnstorming as ever (Dan Biggar must have thought the hand-off he copped from Sean O'Brien in the H Cup a couple of years back would never be repeated!), and the back three looked polished. Sheer of moment of class from Isa on the touchline with the little kick through.

Our scrum wobbles must be seen in the context of their strong front-row. We might have had a more experienced side but they still had to do the job in one our least successful hunting grounds in tough conditions. It was a bit of a role reversal with Ospreys cruising in Europe and us being out of it, and it certainly worked to our advantage in the narrow context of tonight's match. A couple of their young players looked seriously impressive (Wales seem to have a production line of enormous, talented centres and good 7s).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

A perfectly timed away win to maintain, no, increase momentum going into the 6N period. The squad and coaching staff's singlemindedness this past month is heartening.

We need to exert a blue death grip on the top spot. I can't wait for the Scarlets and Glasgow games.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

outcast eddie wrote:A perfectly timed away win to maintain, no, increase momentum going into the 6N period. The squad and coaching staff's singlemindedness this past month is heartening.

We need to exert a blue death grip on the top spot. I can't wait for the Scarlets and Glasgow games.
We've already played the Scarlets twice.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

In the final Donny!
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

@LRIP yeah everyone seemed to miss Paul James' wwf style elbow drop on Sexton in first couple of phases

The missed first up tackles a slight worry, Jamie injured once a season now, but feels like the swagger is back in the side

Furlong's scrummaging is coming along nicely, James had to (cleverly) walk backwards to fake a wheel. In defence of my boy Marty Moore, scrummaging beside Strauss rather than Cronin is a lot easier
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Great result. Wins there like hens teeth.
Can't add much more than what's already been said other than Dippy somehow always manages to be the first body over a ball that squirts out of a ruck.... his willingness to put his head where most wouldn't put a hand is brilliant.
Special mention for Biggar forcing the offside peno against kearney. Some great players and skill in the P12.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

simonokeeffe wrote:@LRIP yeah everyone seemed to miss Paul James' wwf style elbow drop on Sexton in first couple of phases

The missed first up tackles a slight worry, Jamie injured once a season now, but feels like the swagger is back in the side

Furlong's scrummaging is coming along nicely, James had to (cleverly) walk backwards to fake a wheel. In defence of my boy Marty Moore, scrummaging beside Strauss rather than Cronin is a lot easier
Watched the game, actually thought scrum was hugely dominant when the new front row came on, forced turnovers from pressure that was put on numerous times in the Ospreys half
Though Marty ate opposite loosehead and Cronin was strong
You seem to think cronin goes to sleep when he's scrummaging
Can you elaborated since you seem to be an expert???
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Nice win indeed even if Ospreys were not great and we were clueless a lot f the time.

Hope that Sexton's injury is not too bad.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Gearzbox2 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:@LRIP yeah everyone seemed to miss Paul James' wwf style elbow drop on Sexton in first couple of phases

Watched the game, actually thought scrum was hugely dominant when the new front row came on, forced turnovers from pressure that was put on numerous times in the Ospreys half
Though Marty ate opposite loosehead and Cronin was strong
You seem to think cronin goes to sleep when he's scrummaging
Can you elaborated since you seem to be an expert???
One thing I would say about the scrummaging late on was that Reddan pretty much passed it straight back to number 8 on a few occasions. Although a couple of times it was straight and Cronin hooked it back really quickly, hopefully something he's been working on but think he has a purple patch with scrummaging every season.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I was just about to mention the speed of Cronin's hooking! It was really striking. The ball went straight back to the back of the scrum and we could milk it for penalties with comfort. Overall I think that the scrum doesn't seem to suffer as much with Cronin on as it did a year or two ago.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Have to say that some of the officiating last night was very dodgy. To illustrate I just picked out two specific penalties inside 2 mins in second half:

43.49: Ospreys 10m line, they attack moving right to left from breakdown on right, 3 passes and Te'o makes excellent tackle on Spratt (13) and Nacewa and Strauss join perfectly through gate and hind foot, touch judge calls "side-entry against 2 White" which referee repeats and blows.

45.44: Breakdown on Leinster 10m line, Leonard breaks right and passes to Dirkson who is tackled by DK with Ruddock joining breakdown. Again Strauss joins from hindmost and jackals over Dirkson, but ref blows penalty for " tackler not releasing and side entry" against Strauss.

Both terrible decisions and even Ryan Jones as commentator remarks that " Leinster are unlucky".

Wilkinson is an improved referee but needs to have these mistakes pointed out so that he gains more respect from players and therefore gets less chat from them.

There were plenty more, in both directions, and remarking on them, after a win, is essential if Pro12 Ref standards are to improve.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Don't disagree that the ref made some poor calls (although I thought he was okay and has improved massively to be fair to him) but think you've got the Strauss one on our 10m wrong. He said Strauss was fine over the ball but that the tackler hadn't released. That looked right to me.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Don't disagree that the ref made some poor calls (although I thought he was okay and has improved massively to be fair to him) but think you've got the Strauss one on our 10m wrong. He said Strauss was fine over the ball but that the tackler hadn't released. That looked right to me.
Was about to post this. Didn't notice who the tackler was though. (If it wasn't Strauss) but he made a point of telling Straussey that he was fine.

The first one was called by the touchie (Ben Whitehouse?) and Wilkinson was on the other side of the ruck and just took his word.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

fourthirtythree wrote:I was just about to mention the speed of Cronin's hooking! It was really striking. The ball went straight back to the back of the scrum and we could milk it for penalties with comfort. Overall I think that the scrum doesn't seem to suffer as much with Cronin on as it did a year or two ago.
his hooking does seem to have been sorted out

I dont know the technical aspects of it but I wonder with Strauss is just the size/shape of him that lets the props angle in a bit or his technique or both?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon