Ospreys v Leinster Friday 7.45 Sky/BBCW

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ribs
Mullet

Re: Ospreys v Leinster Friday 7.45 Sky/BBCW

Post by ribs »

Kudos to Isa for not just his catch and kick through on the touch line but for also avoiding the water bottles and stuff on the ground to be able to chase the kick
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ribs wrote:Kudos to Isa for not just his catch and kick through on the touch line but for also avoiding the water bottles and stuff on the ground to be able to chase the kick
That really was ridiculous...he kept his eyes on the ball too as he was dancing around them.

I hope Isa becomes president one day.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Gearzbox2 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:@LRIP yeah everyone seemed to miss Paul James' wwf style elbow drop on Sexton in first couple of phases

The missed first up tackles a slight worry, Jamie injured once a season now, but feels like the swagger is back in the side

Furlong's scrummaging is coming along nicely, James had to (cleverly) walk backwards to fake a wheel. In defence of my boy Marty Moore, scrummaging beside Strauss rather than Cronin is a lot easier
Watched the game, actually thought scrum was hugely dominant when the new front row came on, forced turnovers from pressure that was put on numerous times in the Ospreys half
Though Marty ate opposite loosehead and Cronin was strong
You seem to think cronin goes to sleep when he's scrummaging
Can you elaborated since you seem to be an expert???
One thing I would say about the scrummaging late on was that Reddan pretty much passed it straight back to number 8 on a few occasions. Although a couple of times it was straight and Cronin hooked it back really quickly, hopefully something he's been working on but think he has a purple patch with scrummaging every season.
pretty sure he clearly hooked the ball every time, it was actually striking (pardon the pun) how fast it was been presented to ruddocks feet to create a great platform
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Are you copying my posts Gearbox? :D
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Don't disagree that the ref made some poor calls (although I thought he was okay and has improved massively to be fair to him) but think you've got the Strauss one on our 10m wrong. He said Strauss was fine over the ball but that the tackler hadn't released. That looked right to me.
Apologies to Wilkinson as I misheard his decision on 2nd one - but still don't agree that tackler didn't release. Genuinely believe that Wilkinson is improving and far better than Fitzgibbon and possibly even Clancy, but to elevate the competition overall, we need better standards of refereeing. Best way to get that is by post-match coaching.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Donny B. wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:A perfectly timed away win to maintain, no, increase momentum going into the 6N period. The squad and coaching staff's singlemindedness this past month is heartening.

We need to exert a blue death grip on the top spot. I can't wait for the Scarlets and Glasgow games.
We've already played the Scarlets twice.
Doh! :D

Like DC says, chances are we'll see the Scarlets again this season but the point I'm trying to make is that top table clashes for the rest of the season have a real spice now that we're on an upward curve.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

We have been on a upward curve since Ulster and it included two very good 40 mins against triple-European Champions Toulon. We were very poor in one game this year, our European opener at home against Wasps. We were individually sloppy against Bath where our scrum ceased to function. Apart from that we suffered from the challenge of trying to integrate 17 dissolutioned internationals who were low on confidence, into the rematinder of a Squad many of whom were providing genuine competition to the established guys.

We will need smart selection and lots of tactical nous over next two months to get through 6N at top of table. Do that and we can look forward to European draw next Season
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterfan100 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:We have been on a upward curve since Ulster and it included two very good 40 mins against triple-European Champions Toulon. We were very poor in one game this year, our European opener at home against Wasps. We were individually sloppy against Bath where our scrum ceased to function. Apart from that we suffered from the challenge of trying to integrate 17 dissolutioned internationals who were low on confidence, into the rematinder of a Squad many of whom were providing genuine competition to the established guys.

We will need smart selection and lots of tactical nous over next two months to get through 6N at top of table. Do that and we can look forward to European draw next Season
I agree.....along with a very decent shot at the Pro 12 this season
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Well played Leinster, best side in every department on Friday,

You disrupted our set piece, had the better of the breakdown. Your back line was much sharper (d Kearney and teo especially good) and your kicking game was excellent.

Sexton played superbly in awful conditions and his control was a joy to watch.

I have to say , your the best side to have visited the liberty this season and I've now had a bet on you to win the the pro 12.

For us the young centre Watkins did well and the even younger Underhill at 7 had a terrific game (shame hes English)

Best of luck for the rest of the season,
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Thx JB
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

JB1973 wrote:Well played Leinster, best side in every department on Friday,

You disrupted our set piece, had the better of the breakdown. Your back line was much sharper (d Kearney and teo especially good) and your kicking game was excellent.

Sexton played superbly in awful conditions and his control was a joy to watch.

I have to say , your the best side to have visited the liberty this season and I've now had a bet on you to win the the pro 12.

For us the young centre Watkins did well and the even younger Underhill at 7 had a terrific game (shame hes English)

Best of luck for the rest of the season,
Hadnt seen him before but Watkins looked good, was breaking tackles almost naturally
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

johng wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Don't disagree that the ref made some poor calls (although I thought he was okay and has improved massively to be fair to him) but think you've got the Strauss one on our 10m wrong. He said Strauss was fine over the ball but that the tackler hadn't released. That looked right to me.
Was about to post this. Didn't notice who the tackler was though. (If it wasn't Strauss) but he made a point of telling Straussey that he was fine.

The first one was called by the touchie (Ben Whitehouse?) and Wilkinson was on the other side of the ruck and just took his word.
It was Dave Kearney. He made the tackle and immediately made an effort to get out. But as is so often the case now he wasn't able to get out quick enough.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Kurt McQuilkin provided an injury update ahead of this weekend's game against Bath.

After the win in the Guinness PRO12 against Ospreys last Friday there were two fresh injury concerns for Leinster with Jamie Heaslip and Luke Fitzgerald both leaving the field after taking knocks during the game.

Speaking to the media in Leinster HQ on Monday afternoon, defence coach Kurt McQuilkin provided an update on the health of both players.

"Jamie took a bang on the head on the weekend, so he's going to follow the return to play protocols. Lukey Fitz took a stinger on the shoulder, so we're just going to assess him over the week and see how things go there."

There was some positive news with Isaac Boss expected to return to training this week after a hamstring injury, though McQuilkin confirmed it would be another few weeks before other injured players would return.

"Isaac Boss, hopefully we'll have him back training this week after the hamstring injury. Mike Ross is still a couple of weeks away with his hamstring issue.

"Cian Healy has had an elective procedure on his knee, so he'll be a couple of weeks off also.

"Of the long-term guys - Mick Kearney, Hayden Triggs and Jack Conan - they're progressing well and we hope to have them back later down the line."
I have Bumbleflex
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Just got to watch it.

Great effort from the pack. We were a bit indisciplined at times in the first 20 (Mike Mc lucky not to be carded maybe) but we totally dominated Os, even when they brought in AWJ and others. Jamie got a helluva bang. He didn't look happy coming off.

First game in a longtime I've seen some quality Leinster starter plays. The one for DK's second (Reddan with the Wardy dummy, pass to DK coming off wing who runs at the ref while Sexto runs interference on Biggar), was very simple but brutally effective. DK was excellent I thought. Sexton has his touch back with his kicking, esp from hand and I think that must have just let him relax and start to play the way he can. Thought his reaction to the late-ish tackle was bordering on simulation (holding the head in two different places, then the thigh) which I hate to see. He's definitely minding himself a little better out there. Not ducking out of defensive duties but being a bit smart about it.

The Lukes were really poor I thought. McGrath looked very stiff as LRIP said. Passing was poor and general mobility wasn't great, though his choke tackle with Dippy to maybe save a try was excellent. Dippy was prob my motm. Te'o is just starting to click and we're going to lose a very good union player. The difference when Noel came on in terms of clicking with Te'o was noticeable. Great skill from them both for the try.

Some great pieces of skill out there too in sh!t conditions. Sexton's kick for DK, Sexton's long touchfinder that led up to the Dk 2nd try, Isa's catch and kick, Te'o's offload for Reid, Dippy's steals on the deck, Cronin's break off the back of the lineout, not forgetting Jack McGrath's superb front crawl through the water.

Ref was quite good, I thought. Didin't allow much of a jackaling contest, which prob helped the game flow in the cr@p weather. O's crowd were, well, the O's crowd.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

jezzer wrote:First game in a longtime I've seen some quality Leinster starter plays.
That one for DKs second was one we've tried a few times and failed to pull off (didn't we try it twice before that on Friday?). It was good to see it work that time, and Sextons blocking line was wonderful. I think Ringrose against Connacht was possibly the first backs set play we've seen come off since the internationals came back. It was good to see more of that on Friday. It's looking like we're building in confidence nicely. I just hope the 6Ns doesn't disrupt that too much.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Wouldn't say Luke McGrath was poor exactly, but he was a bit laboured. He dropped a couple of balls when we had advantage, I'm always unsure as to whether or mot to hold that against a player!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Yeah, I thought he was pretty poor. Slow to get around, dropped some balls, very laboured passing ( a lot of passes into or behind players), didn't provide much of a break threat and didn't kick much. He's coming back from injury and I really think he needs gametime, but we were a better team after he went off, to be honest.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

very laboured passing? :roll:

some people will find anything to complain about with Luke's passing.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the last thing we want here is repetitive complaining
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Kurt did a quick pitch side commentary after HT.
His main point was that Leinster we're't looking after the ball well enough.
This is the single biggest aspect of the game that Leo and the team must address if we are to move to the next level.
It's an issue with Ireland as well.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.