Things are looking up

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Things are looking up

Post by neiliog93 »

Don't worry, I'm not getting ahead of myself.

But there have been a lot of (negative) complaints on here over the last couple of years concerning the....well, negativity that's been exhibited by some posters.

We were ludicrously poor at times against Wasps, similar to Munster against Stade Francais last weekend. But in the last few games there's been a sense of purpose, an accuracy, a cohesion, an understanding, a confidence, a potency and a sense of 'threat' emanating from Leinster that we haven't seen with any consistency since about 2012. Two very good halves against Toulon, and clinical and physical vs the Ospreys. Effective in horrendous conditions vs a now seriously threatening Connacht. Good against Munster.

We got a stinker of a pool in Europe and we just were not ready for it after the world cup and so soon into Leo's reign. But 7 consecutive league wins and having a game in hand over the Scarlerts (the winning of which would send us top) surely gives us cause to celebrate.

So here's a positive thread for everyone to enjoy. Comment on an aspect of the recent run which has given you hope/happiness/satisfaction.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Things are looking up

Post by wixfjord »

Yes. Love this thread, lots of abject negativity around Leinster and Irish rugby in recent times, but I've been very heartened by our play since the first Toulon game.

Very excited by the prospects of McGrath, Ringrose, Tracey, Moloney and VDF making up the next era of Leinster players, and by the likes of McGrath & Ruddock who are mainstays in the side now and brilliant leaders.

That's one area we have over any other province - waves of experienced leaders coming through.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Look we were brutal that day against Wasps but the most worrying thing for me that day was that we looked like we did not really care. There were so many loose balls that were 50-50 but we just had no desire to compete for them. Whatever about us not having the quality of the previous years if you do not have the desire to fight for everything then you are screwed.

So the aspect of the recent run that has most pleased me is the way we have competed. At the minute Toulon are a better side then us but we made them work for their wins. We should have earned a BP over there and we could have beaten them at home. Our pack fronted up in both games. I left the AVIVA that night disappointed because the team had done me proud and a win would have helped their morale to get to where we need to go instead of being mad because guys seemed to just not give a sh!t like I was against Wasps.

We are trying to play some rugby and not always clicking but the effort they have been putting in in every game (not just picking 1 in every 4 games like the previous season) no matter who is playing eg Ospreys on Friday Dom Ryan put in a huge cover tackle up the Ospreys left wing in the 2nd half and Tom Denton getting to and winning the contest for the ball near the Ospreys line were 2 examples of desire that we looked like we lacked earlier in the season and from two players who have been heavily criticized by fans (justifiably in most cases).

It feels a lot like 07/08 for me and that was a season Leinster did a lot of the hard grunt work which made us the team we became over the following seasons. We are not where we want to be yet but we are going in the right direction with a lot of hard work.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

HH13 in the RDS
I have Bumbleflex
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

The rugby has become far more enjoyable under Leo than MOC. Okay, bar the Wasps game.
The aimless kicks are all but gone. We are seeing decent phase building with organised pods and plans.

I'm happy.
The French are predictably unpredictable
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

We're playing running rugby

Johnny Starting to look like his old self, same with SOB
we're falling over front and back rowers, same with outside backs
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Things are certainly looking better but I think we still need to go up a couple of gears.. Recent results have been good but bear in mind the opposition that we have beaten have been largely poor (Munster) to decent (an injury ravaged Connacht, Ospreys). The Ospreys result was the best of the season and it bodes well that we've been getting good results on the road. Having players like Mick Kearney and Conan return will be great for the competition for places.

I'd like to see us go on and complete a clean sweep of the provinces (Ulster and Connacht away would be particularly tough, but I think doable if the management treat them as if they were big knockout games) and get a decent seeding for next years european cup. Then a good focussed preseason would give some of the younger guys like Molony and Ringrose a chance to add that bit of bulk/power to their frame and maybe with a couple of good recruitments we could be back in the frame for the European trophy.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

We're 1 point off top spot with a game in hand. We have 3 games against Italian opposition to go, 2 of which are home games. We have won all our inter-pros so far. And yet we are still waiting to see the best from this team. The way we are approaching games is far more positive. Our performances have been getting better by the week. Important guys like Sexton are starting to show some form. We've a bunch of young lads who are really proving their worth (Dooley, Tracy, Furlong, Molony, VDF, McGrath & Ringrose). And our coaches are getting valuable experience and should, you would imagine, improve themselves as we go on.

We are a long way from the finished article, but as long as we're moving in the right direction then I'm more than happy. It's more than our poor southern cousins have been doing.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ChrisUppy wrote:The Ospreys result was the best of the season and it bodes well that we've been getting good results on the road. Having players like Mick Kearney and Conan return will be great for the competition for places.
This is very true. Whilst the win away to Munster was as pleasurable as it always was, those games exist within their own little bubbles of reality where many of the factors that normally indicate the better team or the quality of the performance are distorted by the fixtures own gravity. The win against Ospreys was excellent on so many levels, individual, unit and team performances were great - the team responded really well to losing Jamie Heaslip so early and Dom Ryan had one of his better games for us, Johnny is really hitting his straps and his kicking from the hand and the ground, both tactical and offensive was top notch.
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:The Ospreys result was the best of the season and it bodes well that we've been getting good results on the road. Having players like Mick Kearney and Conan return will be great for the competition for places.
This is very true. Whilst the win away to Munster was as pleasurable as it always was, those games exist within their own little bubbles of reality where many of the factors that normally indicate the better team or the quality of the performance are distorted by the fixtures own gravity. The win against Ospreys was excellent on so many levels, individual, unit and team performances were great - the team responded really well to losing Jamie Heaslip so early and Dom Ryan had one of his better games for us, Johnny is really hitting his straps and his kicking from the hand and the ground, both tactical and offensive was top notch.
I'd like to see the stats for Dom Ryans missed tackles, he seemed to miss a hatful.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

molloyjh wrote: We've a bunch of young lads who are really proving their worth (Dooley, Tracy, Furlong, Molony, VDF, McGrath & Ringrose).
This is the important thing for me. The future's bright, the future's Blue!
A proud Winsome Fluter
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

the spoofer wrote:I'd like to see the stats for Dom Ryans missed tackles, he seemed to miss a hatful.
Made 9, missed 3 appaerntly.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats ... gue=270557
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

molloyjh wrote:
the spoofer wrote:I'd like to see the stats for Dom Ryans missed tackles, he seemed to miss a hatful.
Made 9, missed 3 appaerntly.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats ... gue=270557
Thanks for that, I thought it was 1 or 2 more.

Am I reading the stats correctly, was the penalty count really 14-5? That's massive.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I have it 13 - 5 in Ospreys favour, but its still mahoosive alright
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Seeing Kurt's update reminded me of how big a positive he has been, not just the coaching aspect but even just the interview he gave during the game the other day. Sounds like a small and irrelevant thing but it does make a difference to feel like you're in safe hands, in my opinion it's a part of the reason MOC failed and part of why Foley may do too. Don't mean to derail a positive thread or to engage in Munster bashing but the way our coaches present themselves and deal with the media really inspires confidence.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

the spoofer wrote:Thanks for that, I thought it was 1 or 2 more.

Am I reading the stats correctly, was the penalty count really 14-5? That's massive.
There's always a margin of error on the ESPN stats tbh. So I wouldn't take them as absolute gospel. But they are usually broadly accurate. We did concede a lot of penalties against the Ospreys but if memory serves that has been the exception rather than the rule for us this season.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

My memory is that we seem to be conceding a lot of penalties in most matches. Toulon away comes to mind immediately
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Seeing Kurt's update reminded me of how big a positive he has been, not just the coaching aspect but even just the interview he gave during the game the other day. Sounds like a small and irrelevant thing but it does make a difference to feel like you're in safe hands, in my opinion it's a part of the reason MOC failed and part of why Foley may do too. Don't mean to derail a positive thread or to engage in Munster bashing but the way our coaches present themselves and deal with the media really inspires confidence.
we need Munster to do well, and not just for the national team

theyre our Rangers
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Our defence has been really excellent this season. The league table confirms it. For me Wasps was totally misleading in this regard: we were in total control for the first 50 minutes and the Wade try was just freaky nonsense. The Simpson try was shameful though.
The only team close to us in terms of defence in the Pro12 is Ulster.
Defence is what started winning us trophies and it is a good foundation to get back winning them again (even more so now we are finally starting to click a bit in attack).

Progressing some of the academy prospects into valuable squad members has also been great to see. Van der Flier tops the list. Ringrose is getting the headlines. Moloney looks ready to step up whenever asked. McGrath is finally getting the games that will help us determine if he really is a long-term answer at 9. Tracey, Dooley, Marsh and Leavy have done a lot of what has been asked of them when getting their chances.
I can't think of anyone other than Furlong or Conan who was really 'brought through' last season, so this season has been a really positive turn-up in that regard too.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

curates_egg wrote:Our defence has been really excellent this season. The league table confirms it. For me Wasps was totally misleading in this regard: we were in total control for the first 50 minutes and the Wade try was just freaky nonsense. The Simpson try was shameful though.
The only team close to us in terms of defence in the Pro12 is Ulster.
Defence is what started winning us trophies and it is a good foundation to get back winning them again (even more so now we are finally starting to click a bit in attack).

Progressing some of the academy prospects into valuable squad members has also been great to see. Van der Flier tops the list. Ringrose is getting the headlines. Moloney looks ready to step up whenever asked. McGrath is finally getting the games that will help us determine if he really is a long-term answer at 9. Tracey, Dooley, Marsh and Leavy have done a lot of what has been asked of them when getting their chances.
I can't think of anyone other than Furlong or Conan who was really 'brought through' last season, so this season has been a really positive turn-up in that regard too.
if you by tries conceded its interesting

Leinster & Ulster 11
Edinburgh 12
Munster & Glasgow 18
Connacht & Scarlets & Dragons 24
Ospreys 26
Cardiff 32
Treviso 35
Zebre 38