Big Marty off to Wasps?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Big Marty off to Wasps?

Post by blockhead »

In a few articles that I've read now there is a common theme to his quotes. "Dai Young is a great coach", " I have no regrets" etc etc etc.
The Marty doth protest too much, methinks.
It's obvious that his career has gone into reverse over the last 2 years. Furlong is a dot to Marty, he is so far ahead of him. And he is now one of a bunch of guy's vying for the back-up position. He has a lot of work to do.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote:In a few articles that I've read now there is a common theme to his quotes. "Dai Young is a great coach", " I have no regrets" etc etc etc.
The Marty doth protest too much, methinks.
It's obvious that his career has gone into reverse over the last 2 years. Furlong is a dot to Marty, he is so far ahead of him. And he is now one of a bunch of guy's vying for the back-up position. He has a lot of work to do.
Barring injuries, I can't ever see him overtaking Porter, who of the Irish tightheads is the nearest thing Joe has to the all-action Furlong model.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

curates_egg wrote:
the spoofer wrote:There is no way Marty will feature in Ireland squads unless he gets himself in top shape. Murray Kinsella did a piece yesterday on Furlong and the level of fitness that allowed him make the hit on Nadolo. Porter is another with top level fitness while John Ryan can get around the pitch. They are all decent to excellent scrummagers (Furlong). The TH ranking at the moment probably looks something like

Furlong
Ryan
Porter
Bent
Archer
>
>
>
>
Moore.
Crucial bit in there is the bit I've put in bold and underlined.
Moore is proven at international level (and has two 6 Nations medals), also as a scrummager. Used to be very good at ruck time too.
He is 26 (Ryan is 29; Archer is 29; Bent is 31; Furlong is 25); and clearly is/used to be rated by Schmidt and the Irish set-up.
Against that background, all other things being equal, there is no reason he couldn't move up towards the top of that list.
There are 130+ reasons he shouldn’t move up towards the top of that list. The man needs either a bit of discipline about his diet or a minder to divert him from the pie stands.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
the spoofer wrote:There is no way Marty will feature in Ireland squads unless he gets himself in top shape. Murray Kinsella did a piece yesterday on Furlong and the level of fitness that allowed him make the hit on Nadolo. Porter is another with top level fitness while John Ryan can get around the pitch. They are all decent to excellent scrummagers (Furlong). The TH ranking at the moment probably looks something like

Furlong
Ryan
Porter
Bent
Archer
>
>
>
>
Moore.
Crucial bit in there is the bit I've put in bold and underlined.
Moore is proven at international level (and has two 6 Nations medals), also as a scrummager. Used to be very good at ruck time too.
He is 26 (Ryan is 29; Archer is 29; Bent is 31; Furlong is 25); and clearly is/used to be rated by Schmidt and the Irish set-up.
Against that background, all other things being equal, there is no reason he couldn't move up towards the top of that list.
There are 130+ reasons he shouldn’t move up towards the top of that list. The man needs either a bit of discipline about his diet or a minder to divert him from the pie stands.
Is that a reference to his weight? Jeez, there is a lot of nastiness and animosity to Moore on this board. I don't really understand why, but no matter.

The reality is that he was deemed good enough to play a central part in the Irish 23 that won the 6 Nations two years in a row. Now maybe we haven't won since then because BOD and POC retired, or maybe it's because Marty and Mads are no longer in the 23. Who knows?

But seriously, if he was good enough and fit enough to be a central part of the national (and Leinster) set-up during a very successful period for Ireland, why couldn't he get back to that again?
If it's just about eating pies, I'm sure they can brainwash him in bible camp in Belfast that pies are the work of the devil.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I agree CE. He is young enough to get back to where he was, then progress further if he wants it enough. It would be a huge boost for Ireland if that was to happen.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I suppose I just don't buy the bullshit about how he went to Wasps to challenge himself and for new experiences. He went for the moolah and at the time left Leinster fairly well screwed at TH. He played his hand to the fullest extent with the IRFU, they didn't blink and he got his €300k a year with Wasps.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

the spoofer wrote:I suppose I just don't buy the bullshit about how he went to Wasps to challenge himself and for new experiences. He went for the moolah and at the time left Leinster fairly well screwed at TH. He played his hand to the fullest extent with the IRFU, they didn't blink and he got his €300k a year with Wasps.
I understood that he signed a pre contract agreement to use as leverage with the IRFU, only to learn from the IRFU that the terms of his signed pre contract agreement were binding.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Peg Leg wrote:
the spoofer wrote:I suppose I just don't buy the bullshit about how he went to Wasps to challenge himself and for new experiences. He went for the moolah and at the time left Leinster fairly well screwed at TH. He played his hand to the fullest extent with the IRFU, they didn't blink and he got his €300k a year with Wasps.
I understood that he signed a pre contract agreement to use as leverage with the IRFU, only to learn from the IRFU that the terms of his signed pre contract agreement were binding.
Yup, that's very close to what happened alright.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

curates_egg wrote:Is that a reference to his weight? Jeez, there is a lot of nastiness and animosity to Moore on this board. I don't really understand why, but no matter.

The reality is that he was deemed good enough to play a central part in the Irish 23 that won the 6 Nations two years in a row. Now maybe we haven't won since then because BOD and POC retired, or maybe it's because Marty and Mads are no longer in the 23. Who knows?

But seriously, if he was good enough and fit enough to be a central part of the national (and Leinster) set-up during a very successful period for Ireland, why couldn't he get back to that again?
If it's just about eating pies, I'm sure they can brainwash him in bible camp in Belfast that pies are the work of the devil.
he was a brilliant TH before he left because he could make it around the pitch and was an excellent scrummager - now he's really really badly out of shape, can't make it around the pitch and gets mullered in the scrum.

he needs to get in shape and pointing this out is not nasty - it's a statement of undeniable fact.

no offence to the man etc...
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Is that a reference to his weight? Jeez, there is a lot of nastiness and animosity to Moore on this board. I don't really understand why, but no matter.

he was a brilliant TH before he left because he could make it around the pitch and was an excellent scrummager - now he's really really badly out of shape, can't make it around the pitch and gets mullered in the scrum.

he needs to get in shape pointing this out is not nasty - it's a statement of undeniable fact.

Brilliant is over egging it. Don't forget that Furlong hadn't come through and the brilliant Mike Ross was winding down. The Marty Moore from 2 years ago wouldn't get into the current Irish squad.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Think is was £300k but yeah, he went for the money after bargaining on his value and maximising his financial return - which is absolutely fair enough. Now his value is nothing like as distinctive as it was so his bargaining power is less - he's surplus to requirements at Wasps and Leinster have a queue out the door of international props. Up to him to put himself back into contention at Ulster where he'll work with a world class coach and where he will get plenty of opportunity to prove himself. If he works hard, he has the talent to become first choice at Ulster and put himself in the Ireland frame. Up to him really.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

the spoofer wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

he needs to get in shape pointing this out is not nasty - it's a statement of undeniable fact.

Brilliant is over egging it. Don't forget that Furlong hadn't come through and the brilliant Mike Ross was winding down. The Marty Moore from 2 years ago wouldn't get into the current Irish squad.
I actually don't agree with you here Spoofer - he was a brilliant TH - to say that Furlong is better than the version of Marty Moore who left us for Wasps is not at all controversial, but does not take away from how good Moore was back then. Moore's issue is he's shown himself not yet to have the attitude to be a professional
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Marty Moore was an excellent tight head when he left Leinster, there's no doubt about that. And he wouldn't have gotten a whopper deal from Wasps if he wasn't.

He could potentially become one again quite quickly under the right coaching. He's certainly shown he has the ability and attributes.

It's tough to know what his actual attitude is like, but after the disappointment of his Wasps adventure, I'd be very surprised if he didn't come back all guns blazing and with a point to prove. I wouldn't be surprised if he became one of Ulsters more indispensable players within his first season. I could also see him breaking back into the national squad quite quickly if Joe likes what he sees in terms of form. We know Joe has a loyalty for players he knows, and he was a big fan of Marty.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

COYBIB wrote:Marty Moore was an excellent tight head when he left Leinster, there's no doubt about that. And he wouldn't have gotten a whopper deal from Wasps if he wasn't.

He could potentially become one again quite quickly under the right coaching. He's certainly shown he has the ability and attributes.

It's tough to know what his actual attitude is like, but after the disappointment of his Wasps adventure, I'd be very surprised if he didn't come back all guns blazing and with a point to prove. I wouldn't be surprised if he became one of Ulsters more indispensable players within his first season. I could also see him breaking back into the national squad quite quickly if Joe likes what he sees in terms of form. We know Joe has a loyalty for players he knows, and he was a big fan of Marty.
Not sure how much, if any, difference it makes but Marty and his good lady became parents in the last couple of weeks. I know there was a piece earlier in the year when one of the Munster 'old boys' was talking about how some the younger lads were settling down and knuckling down better since they'd become parents.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It could take a toll as well...preparing meals every couple of hours...trying to get naps in all the time...and now they have the baby to look after as well.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It could take a toll as well...preparing meals every couple of hours...trying to get naps in all the time...and now they have the baby to look after as well.
Its always piqued my interest how such regimented pursuits cope with that

The Irish u20 TH has been playing for Ulster A, if he comes good quickly they might release Herbst who seems to be injured all the time
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It could take a toll as well...preparing meals every couple of hours...trying to get naps in all the time...and now they have the baby to look after as well.
He'll be preparing bottles every few hours in a few probably, if not sooner, so preparing meals won't be such an imposition.
Marty was a great TH two years ago so the ability was/is there.
He was a tad injury prone maybe.
If the trend in Ireland is for our players to lose some weight this might help Marty to avoid injury so long as he follows instructions.
With a new comes responsibilities, motivation and the need to maintain a steady stream of income.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I think Marty is well used to preparing meals every couple of hours.

(Sorry).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

neiliog93 wrote:
I think Marty is well used to preparing meals every couple of hours.

(Sorry).
Whooosh
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Am I the only one that read this comment as a razor hot zinger?

More of this type of thing I say!
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation