Big Marty off to Wasps?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: Big Marty off to Wasps?

Post by CiaranIrl »

I hope it goes well for him. He undoubtedly has bags of talent. He's got incredible ability in the scrum, and is a super breakdown operator. What he needs to do is get his head straight and focus. I know the S&C lads in Leinster were pulling their hair out in frustration with his diet and fitness. I hope having a kid brings out the single mindedness and focus that's required to achieve your potential, because at his best, he could certainly be an exceptional tight head and really challenge Furlong.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Don't forget that Jono Gibbes is pretty experienced in the field of rehabilitating out of shape props
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:Don't forget that Jono Gibbes is pretty experienced in the field of rehabilitating out of shape props
Despite all visible improvement since the start of the season, getting Ah Here to fulfill his potential is still very much a work in progress, IMO.....
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I was talking more about Mike Ross!
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote:Don't forget that Jono Gibbes is pretty experienced in the field of rehabilitating out of shape props
well let's just hope he can build on the excellent work done by Dai "the Mentor" Young :D
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I think the piece overestimates the success of his time there. If he was so good and so valuable to Wasps, why are they letting him go a year early? I don't think he's a better player now than when he left tbh.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Cianostays wrote:I think the piece overestimates the success of his time there. If he was so good and so valuable to Wasps, why are they letting him go a year early? I don't think he's a better player now than when he left tbh.
'Zactly - prob should have used this smiley :roll:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cianostays wrote:I think the piece overestimates the success of his time there. If he was so good and so valuable to Wasps, why are they letting him go a year early? I don't think he's a better player now than when he left tbh.
Plus he hasnt nailed down the starting berth there
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Looks like a wasted couple of seasons when you compare progress made by furlong
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Wasps could be short of money and this was an easy decision.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I would say his scrummaging probably improved over there, with the grind of the Premiership. His fitness declined. Everything else probably stayed about the same. Assuming he keeps any improvements in scrummaging and gets into semi-decent shape at Ulster, he'll probably be Ireland's sub-tighthead until Porter proves himself at Tier 1 international level. Marty is a low centre of gravity style strong scrummager, a decent ball carrier and due to his 'unique' build is also a very, very effective poacher of the ball at the breakdown. I know there's a bit of ill-feeling but he is already a good player at international level, with the age profile and potential to become a very good player.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Has he stopped having Emmet Byrne style rests a few times per game?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Despite what the waggish Jimmy Gopperth said about the incredible fitness and how he looked like a back rower, under the great tutelage of Dai Young he looks like a shambles. When he came here he was munched in the scrum and couldn't make it about the pitch.

Ulster had some good success in getting Ah You into a bit of shape, and while they will never have the great mentorship of Dai Young to offer him, he needs to get away from there ASAP if he is to have a career as a professional sportsman outside possibly darts. That he is leaving would suggest he knows that there is an opening in Ireland (Porter is young and converted, Archer is first choice at Munster though Ryan is preferred for Ireland despite the illness concerns) and he wants to work at it.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

TerenureJim wrote:Looks like a wasted couple of seasons when you compare progress made by furlong
In rugby terms for sure but he's probably set himself up nicely financially.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

There is no way Marty will feature in Ireland squads unless he gets himself in top shape. Murray Kinsella did a piece yesterday on Furlong and the level of fitness that allowed him make the hit on Nadolo. Porter is another with top level fitness while John Ryan can get around the pitch. They are all decent to excellent scrummagers (Furlong). The TH ranking at the moment probably looks something like

Furlong
Ryan
Porter
Bent
Archer
>
>
>
>
Moore.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

the spoofer wrote:There is no way Marty will feature in Ireland squads unless he gets himself in top shape. Murray Kinsella did a piece yesterday on Furlong and the level of fitness that allowed him make the hit on Nadolo. Porter is another with top level fitness while John Ryan can get around the pitch. They are all decent to excellent scrummagers (Furlong). The TH ranking at the moment probably looks something like

Furlong
Ryan
Porter
Bent
Archer
>
>
>
>
Moore.
Anyone know what's happened to Bealham? Is he out injured or out out?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Think he just got injured. He's been in good form lately so hopefully he's not out of favour.

Edit: Yep.. Bealham's injured. http://www.connachtrugby.ie/squad-updat ... l-5-clash/
Last edited by jimbobjoe on January 23rd, 2018, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

jimbobjoe wrote:Think he just got injured. He's been in good form lately so hopefully he's not out of favour.
He is a very iffy scrummager and that would rule him out as far as I'd be concerned.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the spoofer wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Think he just got injured. He's been in good form lately so hopefully he's not out of favour.
He is a very iffy scrummager and that would rule him out as far as I'd be concerned.
IMO he was a bit of a Tom Court; in on the basis of being (groomed for) the 5th prop for shall we say a world cup sized squad
I like him far better as a loosehead but hes 5th best there at best
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

the spoofer wrote:There is no way Marty will feature in Ireland squads unless he gets himself in top shape. Murray Kinsella did a piece yesterday on Furlong and the level of fitness that allowed him make the hit on Nadolo. Porter is another with top level fitness while John Ryan can get around the pitch. They are all decent to excellent scrummagers (Furlong). The TH ranking at the moment probably looks something like

Furlong
Ryan
Porter
Bent
Archer
>
>
>
>
Moore.
Crucial bit in there is the bit I've put in bold and underlined.
Moore is proven at international level (and has two 6 Nations medals), also as a scrummager. Used to be very good at ruck time too.
He is 26 (Ryan is 29; Archer is 29; Bent is 31; Furlong is 25); and clearly is/used to be rated by Schmidt and the Irish set-up.
Against that background, all other things being equal, there is no reason he couldn't move up towards the top of that list.