Shane Horgan

Re: Big Marty off to Wasps?

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

So much for Dai Young beingvthe perfect mentor forcan up and coming tighthead
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:So much for Dai Young beingvthe perfect mentor forcan up and coming tighthead

I'd say he is the ideal mentor for an up and coming professional tighthead
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:So much for Dai Young beingvthe perfect mentor forcan up and coming tighthead

I'd say he is the ideal mentor for an up and coming professional tighthead
haha..

from Cambridge Dictionary -

Mentor - person who gives a younger or less experienced person help and advice over a period of time, especially at work or school

Professional - used to describe someone who does a job that people usually do as a hobby

so assuming Marty Moore is indeed a Professional and Dai Young is a Mentor - all evidence points to Dai Young's help being to direct Moore to the drive through in McDs and his advice was "sit on your hole young man, all that fitness cr@p is over rated".
Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on October 14th, 2017, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Like every other Irishman abroad, he'll be offered a deal to come back to Ireland as long as it's Munster.

Seeing as Michael Bent is our second choice tight head right now and how well he was doing when he was here, we could really use him back, but I think he may have burned his bridges with Leinster, and possibly the IRFU too.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Big Marty off to Wasps?

Post by artaneboy »

COYBIB wrote:Like every other Irishman abroad, he'll be offered a deal to come back to Ireland as long as it's Munster.

Seeing as Michael Bent is our second choice tight head right now and how well he was doing when he was here, we could really use him back, but I think he may have burned his bridges with Leinster, and possibly the IRFU too.
Well, seeing as Michael Bent is playing great stuff over the last two years and continues to improve- and the fact that Porter is well on track to make the grade, I see no particular need to resign Moore.

Not objecting if he ends up back here, but the notion that we NEED him... c'mon! Bent is a top class back up TH; not sure if Marty is any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I'd have benty over marty every day and twice on sundays.

Nucifora has resisted using the stick to get Leinster players to change province (otherwise Ulster would be swimming with our back rows) so getting them to munster via abroad would be a good idea. Eg Beirne.

Would like to see Marty there rather than in tingland
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Munster have Archer and Ryan, they're doing well enough.

They won't reach for Moore and it would be a huge risk for him. He’s in the same boat as Madigan, he lost all his leverage when he left and wasn’t missed. It isn’t possible to roll back the clock so moving forward is his best play.

If he keeps playing and concentrates on his game, he'll have options.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

If Marty returns it'll probably be Connacht, or maybe Ulster. Herbst is now IQ and Rodney Ah You is actually playing quite well these days. Connacht are struggling a bit at tighthead though.

Certainly, Moore would be behind Bent now, and within a year probably behind Porter too.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote:Munster have Archer and Ryan, they're doing well enough.

They won't reach for Moore and it would be a huge risk for him. He’s in the same boat as Madigan, he lost all his leverage when he left and wasn’t missed. It isn’t possible to roll back the clock so moving forward is his best play.

It seemed a strange call at the time to leave. With Madser, you'd have had to do some special thinking to avoid the logic of his move away from Leinster, but for Marty Moore it didn't seem like he was in the sort of situation that would push you to move.

He had already experienced first hand the fact that you could play international rugby whilst not necessarily being a nailed-on first choice for your province, and he'd already seen the reality of prop rotation in the Cian/Heinke and then Jack/Cian combo at loosehead.

Rossy was [like everyone else] only getting older, and even with Tadhg Furlong obviously marked out as a big deal, Marty had already debuted for Ireland, played in two Six Nations-winning campaigns and established himself as an international tighthead before turning 25. It was a very dubious decision to move and has proved to be a poor one.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It was an ideal time to cash in though. He was at his reputational peak and was sought after. Being a backup in Leinster isn’t the way to get a really top pay check and we were slumping a bit.

If he had the same decline/fitness problems here he’d be badly off too but on a lot less money and with doors closing for a big time move.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ronk wrote:Munster have Archer and Ryan, they're doing well enough.

Archer got folded like an accordian at the weekend
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Archer is a very poor tight head. Never rated him and I'm not sure many Munster fans do either. Well they'll have first option at the very least. John Ryan seems to be at a decent level though.

Looking back, I'm trying to recall if he was second choice or not, but I think at the time was his battle not more with Ross than it was Furlong? I think Furlong was just coming through whilst Moore was starting with the Irish team and winning 6 nations. (iirc).

It was a stupid move in reality. I appreciate Wasps were throwing silly money at him, but it was very short sighted and maybe he didn't think through the level of risk he was taking. If it didn't work out at Wasps, he was goosed. From what I gather, there was an extremely poor taste left in the mouth at Leinster with how Marty went about it, and I think the word "furious" isn't an overstatement. Not since Felix Jones was there such a fall out.

Leinster and the IRFU invested so much in getting tightheads through and the disrespect to absorb all of that investment and as soon as you reach senior level, basically giving the two fingers to the people who got you there and moving away to chase money, I'm pretty sure he'll never be back. At Leinster at least.

Having said all of that, I don't think his move to Wasps has been a disaster by any stretch. Admittedly I haven't watch much of him play over there, but he seems to be getting a lot of minutes on the pitch at least.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

COYBIB wrote:Archer is a very poor tight head. Never rated him and I'm not sure many Munster fans do either. Well they'll have first option at the very least. John Ryan seems to be at a decent level though.

Looking back, I'm trying to recall if he was second choice or not, but I think at the time was his battle not more with Ross than it was Furlong? I think Furlong was just coming through whilst Moore was starting with the Irish team and winning 6 nations. (iirc).

It was a stupid move in reality. I appreciate Wasps were throwing silly money at him, but it was very short sighted and maybe he didn't think through the level of risk he was taking. If it didn't work out at Wasps, he was goosed. From what I gather, there was an extremely poor taste left in the mouth at Leinster with how Marty went about it, and I think the word "furious" isn't an overstatement. Not since Felix Jones was there such a fall out.

Leinster and the IRFU invested so much in getting tightheads through and the disrespect to absorb all of that investment and as soon as you reach senior level, basically giving the two fingers to the people who got you there and moving away to chase money, I'm pretty sure he'll never be back. At Leinster at least.

Having said all of that, I don't think his move to Wasps has been a disaster by any stretch. Admittedly I haven't watch much of him play over there, but he seems to be getting a lot of minutes on the pitch at least.
it was due to injury of nothing else initially but Furlong definitely got ahead of him and then kept his place
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Moore wasn’t the only one who left. There’d been a solid history of holding onto Irish players getting caps at the provinces and we had an exodus.

Moore’s reasoning shouldn’t be seen on its own. Money was tighter then, there were management issues leading to unhappier players and the grass was temporarily much greener than normal on the other side. That’s all changed.

Moore allegedly burnt bridges but I don’t know if they couldn’t be mended. He seems to be getting reasonable playing time mostly from the bench.If he can keep at it for a while he’ll get fitter and become more durable.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Lots of players leave burnt bridges behind them that amazingly get mended when there is a confluence of need!
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I checked, he's played less minutes(142) with 1 start under his belt this season than Furlong (169), Bent(226) & Porter (165 - also 1 start). Houston we got an unfit prop.

Wasps site doesn't give minutes played but looking at his stats they flogged him last season and it looks like he played (start or sub)in almost every competitive first team fixture.

For comparison, Furlong played 13+3(900 mins) for Leinster & 8 for Ireland (not checking but he played 60+ mins in many games) and then more for the Lions. The extended break must have been nice.

Harder to make a comparison with Iron Mike (because he's so many years) but when he became undisputed Irish no. 1 TH 11/12 he did 1098 mins for Leinster and the year after 1238. Thereafter it's all below 800mins.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:Lots of players leave burnt bridges behind them that amazingly get mended when there is a confluence of need!
And Munster are very needy.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Lots of players leave burnt bridges behind them that amazingly get mended when there is a confluence of need!
Ulster are sniffing around seemingly.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Ulster are sniffing around seemingly.
Could be a good move. He can apply all that knowledge he's acquired from Dai Young...