Big Marty off to Wasps?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Big Marty off to Wasps?

Post by simonokeeffe »

Is it worth keeping Ross for one year over losing Marty for 3? Hell no

Everyone thought release Ross to retain the medium and long term prospects. And Ross is no use off the bench

Whether Marty stays or not what the bleepedy bleep were the IRFU doing in not offering him a central contract??? Means no TH on central deal and Moore & Furlong are currently the only two Irish qualified tightheads who will probably be around in 2019 and good enough for the national side. Moore imo was angling for one and or gametime with length of previous deals
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Pendragon
Bookworm

Post by Pendragon »

Should not be allowed to happen. Just should not be .....

Our talent pool is small enough, thought this was supposed to be DN's role. Mads, I can kinda understand, but should not be allowed. JJ should never have been allowed to go. Certain times a culmination of events does lead you to believe that job role needs defining.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I don't rate him that highly at this stage. I think Furlong has a much higher ceiling and will be 1st choice.

He has missed a shed load of rugby and you would imagine that was part of the Leinster thinking when making a decision.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Big difference between the reporting of this and the reporting of the likes of SOBs possible move (very clearly stated that SOB wanted to stay - but the money at Toulon was way more than Leinster could offer)

While Moore has used this tactic before he also obviously is looking to maximise his deal (the one year deals obv suggest this)

He could just be kite flying, it could be that he is not as highly thought of as we assume, it could very well be the IRFU simply cant (or wont) compete and that Moore is going to take the big money move. The other thing is obviously that IRFU have paid some big money for Leinster players recently - Sexton Heaslip and SOB probably the three highest earners I would guess - they obviously have to spread the money around the provinces and maybe there simply isn't money for another big Leinster signing

By the way while Munster are in a shitheap at the minute, none of the Irish provinces are going to be a destination for really improbving your career the way things are going - worst standard domestic league of the three options, ikley to not really be contenders in Europe for some time, not able to pay the same money. Also while the idea of players being moved domestically is good in principle the big name guys are very unlikely to do it - younger or fringe guys will but especially between Leinster and Munster the big names (and I count Moore in that ) aren't going to move - ook at the Munster players that would be big players in Leinster - Ryan, POM, Murray, Earls, Zebo - can you see any of them moving to Leinster - I certainly can't and the sam,e goes for the likes of SOB, Heay, Heaslip, Sexton.

I'd be concerned with what the IRFU do with all of this - there is potential that the big names now (who may not be the stand outs in 2 years) get longer deals on big money and that the fringe international players (who are likely to be the stand out guys in 2 years) won't get the deals ad move - not sure that's the best for the national team
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Hopefully just kite flying from his agent PR pro GT. Losing him would be a right kick to the teeth though. Madigan i can understand, he's never going to be first choice with j10 in situ but Moore is a totally different story. We should be keeping him and Furlong going forward.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Personally (and I really haven't a clue here) but I'd be surprised if the IRFU are going to let him leave for the sake of a years extension on his contract. So if he goes I would reckon he must be either getting mad money that the IRFU\Leinster can't\won't match or (as indicated by his shorter previous contract) he just wants to go now to get more experience, try different things etc. In which case there might not be a lot anyone can do to keep him here.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

the spoofer wrote:I don't rate him that highly at this stage. I think Furlong has a much higher ceiling and will be 1st choice.

He has missed a shed load of rugby and you would imagine that was part of the Leinster thinking when making a decision.
Agree entirely with this
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Leoslovechild wrote:
the spoofer wrote:I don't rate him that highly at this stage. I think Furlong has a much higher ceiling and will be 1st choice.

Agree entirely with this
He is only 24. He is the reason the whole country has been able to stop worrying if anything happens to Mike Ross the last couple of years. In propping terms he is a few years away from reaching his peak. If Furlong turns out better then great but with the age Mike Ross is we are gonna need someone else other then Furlong over the next three years.

Moore is not some squad guy who has missed the boat, he is not a guy with potential who needs more rugby, he is not a guy in his mid 30's coming to the end of his career he is a 24 year old who has been cemented in the Irish 23 when fit for two years already. Not a great precedent losing a guy like him.
Last edited by OTT on January 13th, 2016, 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Golf Man wrote: The other thing is obviously that IRFU have paid some big money for Leinster Ireland players recently - Sexton Heaslip and SOB probably the three highest earners I would guess - they obviously have to spread the money around the provinces and maybe there simply isn't money for another big Leinster signing
Fixed that for you.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Leoslovechild wrote:

Agree entirely with this
So in a years time you want us to have Furlong, an aged Bent and not much else for TH?
Thats like saying we should let Cronin or McFadden go

A realisation that has me more hopeful is its strictly against Premiership rules to release players outside of designated IRB windows, they made an exception for a home world cup, but they fined Northampton heavily over letting George North play an international let alone go to a training camp. And unlike the salary cap they actually enforce this. So Moore goes to Wasps he misses half of the Ireland training sessions and seriously damages his chances of playing international rugby
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The short-termism on here sometimes is incredible.

Here's a 24 year old TH prop who has been in the Irish 22 for two years and is seen by Wasps (who have truckloads of cash) as a big enough target to spend a 3 year contract on, and we've guys saying 'I don't rate him that highly at this stage'?

When Ross knocks off next year and Furlong is in Irish squads,where is his replacement going to come from?

This is potentially a bigger long term loss than Madigan.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:The short-termism on here sometimes is incredible.

Here's a 24 year old TH prop who has been in the Irish 22 for two years and is seen by Wasps (who have truckloads of cash) as a big enough target to spend a 3 year contract on, and we've guys saying 'I don't rate him that highly at this stage'?

When Ross knocks off next year and Furlong is in Irish squads,where is his replacement going to come from?

If he goes it will a considerably bigger loss than Madigan.

You always get this when a player is mooted to be leaving, who can forget the 'sure who cares about Sexton, isn't Ian a squillion times better and more lovely' brigade
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Moore and Furlong should've been the perfect double act to go along with Ciano and McGrath for the medium term.

I'd be very annoyed if we fcuked it up, considering how rarely good TH props come along.
Last edited by wixfjord on January 13th, 2016, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote:The short-termism on here sometimes is incredible.

If he goes it will a considerably bigger loss than Madigan.

You always get this when a player is mooted to be leaving, who can forget the 'sure who cares about Sexton, isn't Ian a squillion times better and more lovely' brigade
Ah Dave you must know someone who knows someone? Can you not just ring Marty and ask him if he's going or what? Put us all out of our misery :D
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

ChrisUppy wrote:WTF does David Nucifora actually do?
I'll tell you what he doesn't do. He doesn't put a gun to players heads and tell them their only options are Irish provinces and they aren't allowed to go elsewhere. Mainly because that would be, you know, against the law.

I have to laugh at how people hear rumours like this (and that's all this is) and start lashing out at people. Nucifora seems to be the flavour of the month in that regard.

I'd be hopeful that this is just contract wrangling. "3 year central contract and I'm yours IRFU". If so then give him the contract and let's move on. It should be noted though that Marty is in a position of strength. Once Ross finishes up Ireland won't have a huge number of options at TH. If Moore is out of the picture due to being in England then it'll be Furlong and A N Other. The next best option we have right now is probably Bent if we're honest. Then Ah You. If Moore goes to Wasps he could still command a place in the national side.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Leoslovechild wrote:

Agree entirely with this
So in a years time you want us to have Furlong, an aged Bent and not much else for TH?
Thats like saying we should let Cronin or McFadden go

A realisation that has me more hopeful is its strictly against Premiership rules to release players outside of designated IRB windows, they made an exception for a home world cup, but they fined Northampton heavily over letting George North play an international let alone go to a training camp. And unlike the salary cap they actually enforce this. So Moore goes to Wasps he misses half of the Ireland training sessions and seriously damages his chances of playing international rugby
I think the IRFU will have to move back to a stricter position on players playing outside of Ireland (as was the case during the Gatland era). Unless you're a truly exceptional player with no obvious replacement you don't play for Ireland.

We don't have the funds to compete at this moment in time but we do have the carrot of Ireland selection and that's huge.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

The sensible move is to transfer Rossy back to Munster for 2 years (ie better deal than he's on) and keep Moore at Leinster for 3.

Would be pissed off if he goes. Furlong is a complete beast, but we need two good THPs and we're letting a great one walk out the door. If I thought we were getting a world class young 9 or lock with the money we saved, it might help the disappointment. But we won't.

Leinster has taken over from Connacht as the country's development province. That's just the fact of it. Munster isn't developing anyone worth wanting. Taking a Connacht player is tantamount to *** Edited by mod *** and the IRFU seem to be happy with most Ulster players being queasy about transfers down south.

We're the veal pen. Get used to it.
Last edited by limecat on January 13th, 2016, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Abusive term removed
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Kite-flying from agents is generally less definitive than 'set to leave' though. More 'in contact', 'expression of interest', 'offer made which he is seriously considering', 'in negotiations' etc.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

jezzer wrote:
Leinster has taken over from Connacht as the country's development province. That's just the fact of it. Munster isn't developing anyone worth wanting. Taking a Connacht player is tantamount to *** Edited by mod *** and the IRFU seem to be happy with most Ulster players being queasy about transfers down south.

We're the veal pen. Get used to it.
haha brilliant :happy clapper:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Purely in the interests of nosiness I went over to the Wasps forum to have a gander at what they're saying. One poster stuck up 'Supposedly Leinster offered 2 year contract worth €90K and Wasps a 3 year £160K'. Taking the usual pinch of salt those figures look tiny for a player with Moore's potential.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation