Ian Nagle to Leinster?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

outcast eddie
Mullet

Ian Nagle to Leinster?

Post by outcast eddie »

Has reportedly agreed terms to join Leinster during the Summer.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/j ... -1.2495643
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Re: Ian Nagle to Leinster?

Post by goreyguy »

Rather Mark Flanagan tbh
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

Look at it positively lads. This guy has talent. He is still young and he WANTS to come and play for us. He wont be getting paid a huge amount and he will be around during the 6n when call ups affect us. Welcome Ian and I hope you get to full fill your potential with us.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Which side does Nagle play on?
If Denton is on the way out, that leaves us down to Mike Mac and Mick K for TH lock really.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Would be interested to hear from Munster fans to see if they rated him. From memory they did but that he was injury prone.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Its interesting, but not sure he brings a lot more than a performance in a friendly match and an Irish passport to the party. However, clean slate and all that
I have Bumbleflex
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Meh another signing we wont want anywhere near the squad when the big matches come around. Not worth talking about.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

eugh,

We go from Nathan Hines, Leo Cullen and Brad Thorn to Mike McCarthy, Tom Denton, Mark Kearney and Ian Nagle. Could we entice Franno back to round out the squad?

Has Leinster been taken over by Harvey Norman behind the scenes? "Trade in your old player and we'll give you a brand new player absolutely free! If you have trouble with your new player, we'll send around a technical expert Les or Andy to get you set up. Your new player didn't work out? Bring it back and exchange it for a new one! We have a range of exciting financing packages - talk to David in Head Office for more details! "
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

To put a non negative nelly spin on it......

He is potential. He may well not work out, but perhaps worth a punt compared to Tom Denton?

In Munster he was behind a huge queue Poc Doc Ryan Foley etc. He had injury issues and he possibly lacked maturity and direction. He is older now and surely knows what it takes. The fact he is coming back to Rugby means he will hopefully give it a really good shot.

Doesn't mean we don't need a Nathan Hines/Brad Thorn also.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

wixfjord wrote:Which side does Nagle play on?
Munster previously

(I'll just leave now....)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

6'6" and big bones. Has the physical base to play on the right.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

johng wrote:He is potential.
Correction he HAD potential, he's now moving into his late 20's having previously given up the game entirely.

The fact that this is even being discussed here is a sad reflection of where Leinster's recruitment has gone of late.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Logorrhea wrote:
Correction he HAD potential, he's now moving into his late 20's having previously given up the game entirely.

The fact that this is even being discussed here is a sad reflection of where Leinster's recruitment has gone of late.
As we all know late 20s is well over the hill for a lock.......

It's only a sad reflection if you consider it a replacement for Hines. Not what it is. A replacement for Tom Denton.

We are a top lock and a scrum half away from being a very decent Euro team.

Possibly disadvantaged by the fires burning elsewhere in Irish Rugby. Especially down South where they are a Tight head, an Outhalf and some attitude away from being a top pro 12 team.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

There is nothing exciting about this signing but also nothing to be upset about. Maybe he can become our new Damien Browne (not an international but an important squad guy) but maybe he wont play at all. If it is the former then great, if it is the latter he can join Jersey when his deal is done. It is only a bad signing if you invest to much expectation in it. We signed a J4 player before and Leinster Rugby is still standing.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:

As we all know late 20s is well over the hill for a lock.......

It's only a sad reflection if you consider it a replacement for Hines. Not what it is. A replacement for Tom Denton.

We are a top lock and a scrum half away from being a very decent Euro team.

Possibly disadvantaged by the fires burning elsewhere in Irish Rugby. Especially down South where they are a Tight head, an Outhalf and some attitude away from being a top pro 12 team.
So lets sign a top lock and a scrum half and not a guy who played well in a friendly 5 years ago. Theres no evidence that Nagle is even at Dentons level, let alone fit to replace him. Denton has played more rugby at higher levels for longer with a lower propensity for injury.

Sign him certainly and give him a chance but lets not get carried away by imagining that as things stand that he is currently on a par with a Denton or Moloney - never mind Dev, Mac or Triggs.
I have Bumbleflex
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

We are still getting a top class NIQ lock right? RIGHT?

Hopefully he proves us all wrong but this just looks like yet more bad business from Leinster.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote: So lets sign a top lock and a scrum half and not a guy who played well in a friendly 5 years ago.
Hopefully we will.

The guy is a punt for sure. My point is. We know what Tom Denton can do. Good cover at pro 12 level. Honest hard working guy that comes up short in Europe. We have had 3 or 4 seasons of him to discover that.

Yes Nagle could prove to be less than that. BUT (and it's a Homer Simpson sized butt) He could also prove to be way more. Lets see before we write him off.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Are we sure that Denton is off?

I'd love to know the basis on which we've signed Nagle, assuming its true that is. Think he was in the states before going to Cambridge so that's a year and a half or so of very little rugby at any kind of decent level, and wiki (although I've had issues with that recently :lol: ) says he only has 29 caps for Munster and 2 for Newcastle. That makes me very pessimistic about it.

That said, I agree with those saying that if he's just there to add depth and we bring in someone top class to actually start then we'll be fine. Fast forwarding to September, hopefully Kearney will be playing regularly, we'll have a proper replacement for Douglas, Molony will have bulked up more, and even James Ryan could be closer to the first team. My worry is that we won't get anyone and have pencilled Kearney in to take that "vacant" spot but that's unfounded for now so lets see what happens.

Btw, there's a rumour on UAFC (which I must say is probably the best fan forum out there) that Keiran Treadwell is signing for them. They seem unsure as to whether it's a short term injury deal or if he'll be signing in the summer but even if it is just short term hopefully they can make it a permanent one, would be a brilliant bit of business. Not that I think we should have gone for him btw, we don't need another young lock, although I'd certainly have taken him. Munster should have been all over him too.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Are we sure that Denton is off?

No. But it's in the same article about Nagle so the info is as reliable as the Nagle info.
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: Btw, there's a rumour on UAFC (which I must say is probably the best fan forum out there) that Keiran Treadwell is signing for them.
I heard that rumour. There a lot of Ulster fans who hate that forum and think it is worse than Munsterfans. (i.e. they have difficulty distinguishing banter from nastyness) I agree that it is a good laugh although I rarely read it. Or MF for that matter.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

While theres probably no risk here (and I'm sure very little money) expectations should be kept at the lower end - he had huge potential 6/7 years ago - obviously Munster were stacked with locks at the time and playing time was going to be limited, but he was also hugely injury prone. Biggest single problem was he seemed soft tbh - its not exactly a position where you can be and its hard to coach that hardness - think Noel Reid with injury problems and away from the game for 2 years

The bigger news from that article is Cronin moving - that seems mental and absolutely damnig of the set up with the IRFU at the moment - more important to us than Moore is to you