Ian Nagle to Leinster?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Ian Nagle to Leinster?

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:He was at the JWC in Argentina, we were down two back rows, he was still playing and training and relatively close - everyone else was on their hollibobs
Yeah that's exactly the way I remember it.
Wasn't a controversial call at the time either.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:He was at the JWC in Argentina, we were down two back rows, he was still playing and training and relatively close - everyone else was on their hollibobs
Paddy Wallace was on his hollibobs too before being asked to play the All Blacks.
Everyone knows Paddy was Dekko's love child. :?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

They both have lovely smiles
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Paddy Wallace was on his hollibobs too before being asked to play the All Blacks.
Judging by Ireland's performance in that third test, so were the rest of the squad.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Judging by Ireland's performance in that third test, so were the rest of the squad.
Zing!!

As much as I am enjoying this debate I'm not seeing anywhere near the certainty on the Ulster Forum about Treadwell going to Ulster or leaving Quinns at all as I am seeing here. Think folks need to rein it in as a lot of folks are talking about certainties rather than rumour.
Pendragon
Bookworm

Post by Pendragon »

darkside lighteside wrote:Re Treadwell - he played with the likes of Arnold and Dow (and O'Hagan who was briefly with the Ulster academy) at age grade, and also (probably most importantly) played under Alex Codling (Ulster's A head coach) for Rossyln Park. I think a combination of those relationships, and a lot of guys in the queue ahead of him in the second row at Quins, explains why he's open to a move. Hasn't been confirmed yet, but fingers crossed, because I think he'd be a great signing.
Makes sense the connection with Codling alright, but the bottom line is the lad is here to fast track his career, he has loads ahead of him in Quins and England. Changing back to declare for Ireland is a career decision.

Rejected at 16's by England and goes to Irish 18's, goes back to England for 20's when they want him and now back to Ireland where he sees a better opportunity of a full cap.

Honestly thought of that 18's team that O'Hagan was a real talent, saw him both with Ireland and in some AIL games and he stood out whenever I saw him. Ulster did not do a great job with him and just got rid, he supposedly turned England down because he wanted to play for Ireland ! Professional rugby is at the end of the day just business.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

O'Hagen wasn't taken up by the Connacht Academy and Ulster got rid of him after a year. Unfortunately happens sometimes that players can't make the step up. O'Hagen is a good example of that
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:So you're (Simon) saying that Deccie rang up Rhys and Keogh and asked what way the water was flowing in the toilet?

We won't agree but I did chuckle at the Santa Ponzo comment!
Deccie always knew which way the water is flowing :wink:

If Nagle is being signed to replace Douglas then thats a dodgy signing
If Nagle is being signed to replace Denton (/Beirne/Thornbury) then thats a decent signing
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

sunshiner1 wrote:O'Hagen wasn't taken up by the Connacht Academy and Ulster got rid of him after a year. Unfortunately happens sometimes that players can't make the step up. O'Hagen is a good example of that
Said this before but I couldn't believe how big O'Hagen was when he played against us in pre season 18 months ago, and then how bad he was. Even allowing for him being so young, he was dreadful.
Pendragon
Bookworm

Post by Pendragon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:O'Hagen wasn't taken up by the Connacht Academy and Ulster got rid of him after a year. Unfortunately happens sometimes that players can't make the step up. O'Hagen is a good example of that
Said this before but I couldn't believe how big O'Hagen was when he played against us in pre season 18 months ago, and then how bad he was. Even allowing for him being so young, he was dreadful.
All opinions I suppose, I saw that game and also thought that O'Hagan had gotten big, but I thought that he was quite good ! They actually won that game as I remember. Of all the young players that I saw during the last few years, he had a raw talent, great hands and a terrific boot. He had real potential and room for improvement but never to be realised. Irrelevant now as he has gone. My point was that some young players push on and others are discarded. Ulster are very quick to get rid if they don't push on, it is a business. They don't hang around. Treadwell looked great at underage but he has not been fully tested at senior level and he is going to a place were patience is in short supply. I would have taken him here all day long and wish that we had a few years ago. He could have been a new Ross Maloney !
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Thats the key. Progression is not a straight line in pro sport. Hopefully, Treadwell has now finally decided that he is unlikely to make it in English conveyor beslt. Guys who reach that decision are usually very well focussed on the next step. So good luck Ulster
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ulster have confirmed the Treadwell signing
I have Bumbleflex
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Dave Cahill wrote:Ulster have confirmed the Treadwell signing
2.01m, 119kg, 20 year old lock.. just what we needed.

Maybe they'll give us back Alan O'Connor...
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

goreyguy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Ulster have confirmed the Treadwell signing
2.01m, 119kg, 20 year old lock.. just what we needed.

Maybe they'll give us back Alan O'Connor...
It is what we needed, but it doesn't seem like he wanted to come here. From what I have heard we approached him previously and he decided that he wanted to stay with Quins. Fair play to Ulster for getting him to change his mind. He's a cracking prospect and it's a really good piece of recruitment.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

A signing that could be potentially huge by Ulster in a few seasons. Fair play Bryn Cunningham and the Ulster branch!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Two very good prospects in him and Alex Thompson both of whom just turned 20.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Interesting that he rejected a move to Leinster.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

neiliog93 wrote:Interesting that he rejected a move to Leinster.
A few years ago he did.. not sure about this season.. a lot more links to ulster with ex teammates up there
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

Is he one of thise God Squad types maybe? They get attracted to Ulster like fly's.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

I doubt they seem to be more saffers.. he would know the exile lads well - Sam Arnold, Lorcan Dow, Frank Taggart etc.