Team for Bath

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

molloyjh
Mullet

Re: Team for Bath

Post by molloyjh »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I see no difference between resting players tomorrow or next week, and if you acknowledge that we had to rest them in at least one of the last two group games then I see no reason why you'd have an issue with it being tomorrow.
If we're resting them in one and not the other then surely we should be resting them next week? This is the one we're most likely to win and it is the home game where far more fans have forked out to attend. Is that alone not reason enough? Why would we play them next week and not this? :?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

bails wrote:Very suprised and dissappointed with the Team Selection fot the Bath game

This is the supposed Premier competition and by us resting so many fit players, it demeans the competition
Great that you lads get development oppurtunities but must it all be in the one game. And what about us the supporters paying hard earned cash. Do we ever get to see our strongest line ip, we seem to be resting players every game. Its surely not too much to ask to see our best side in the premier competition

Seriously evaluating my season ticket, as i believe we are being short changed. Woul the money saved be better going on International tickets
I preferred it when you were funny, Bails.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

molloyjh wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I see no difference between resting players tomorrow or next week, and if you acknowledge that we had to rest them in at least one of the last two group games then I see no reason why you'd have an issue with it being tomorrow.
If we're resting them in one and not the other then surely we should be resting them next week? This is the one we're most likely to win and it is the home game where far more fans have forked out to attend. Is that alone not reason enough? Why would we play them next week and not this? :?
I would much rather blood inexperienced players at home. Wasps is the more difficult game in my opinion and id worry far more about the youngsters over there. I don't think the crowd comes into it in the slightest and you can't just focus on that issue without thinking of things like people travelling over to Coventry (I did that last season btw) or people paying for sky and BT being short changed. Someone loses out somewhere along the line, the priority has to be the rugby decision that makes the most sense.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

hugonaut wrote:
bails wrote:Very suprised and dissappointed with the Team Selection fot the Bath game

This is the supposed Premier competition and by us resting so many fit players, it demeans the competition
Great that you lads get development oppurtunities but must it all be in the one game. And what about us the supporters paying hard earned cash. Do we ever get to see our strongest line ip, we seem to be resting players every game. Its surely not too much to ask to see our best side in the premier competition

Seriously evaluating my season ticket, as i believe we are being short changed. Woul the money saved be better going on International tickets
I preferred it when you were funny, Bails.
not sure I agree with Bails but it is a valid point (of not taking the competition seriously) and the value of season tickets is a bit creaky as it is
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

I take on board many of your opinions. I am just once again disgusted that as a Season ticket holder we don't seem to ever get to see our full strength side at home.

Let's not forget the AP clubs and Bruce Craig happily tried to shaft the Pro 12 last year. Here is our opportunity to beat them well, show them they can't do without us and shove a bit if humble pie down Craig's throat. But no, we are prepared to gamble and potentially submit at home to an average AP side. When a European league gets looked into, as it will eventually 0 wins from 6 in a group is not going to do us any good.

I wish I could share your optimism, or maybe naivety about the game tomorrow, unfortunately last years demise has left me scarred. The one thing we know an AP side will do is attack our front 5. If we cannot resist it may be a long afternoon, and a long season.

It's great to have young players to develop, but let's not forget about our strongest XV.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

ChrisUppy wrote:

This, in particular, made me laugh. Get a grip

Be interested to hear your thoughts if we get well beaten !
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Surprised and disappointed with a few selections across the team
Thought Cronin, Dom Ryan, SOB and Redser(maybe) could have done with a start in order to keep match sharpness
Good to see youth given a chance and rewarding young players for decent enough form but leaving out seasoned internationals who need the gametime ( cronin and SOB in mind) is very strange considering how little gametime they have had
Still going to be very interesting to see how this game goes for a number of players
Really looking forward to seeing Dooley up against Davey Wilson
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

Sink or Swim! I love it! If these young guys step up it will be fantastic!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Stuka wrote:Sink or Swim! I love it! If these young guys step up it will be fantastic!
It sure ****ing will. Fingers crossed!!!!
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

bails wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:

This, in particular, made me laugh. Get a grip

Be interested to hear your thoughts if we get well beaten !
It's never nice to get beaten but the reality is that these next two games are the least important matches left in our season. It's a rare opportunity to expose players that we'll be depending on heavily through the 6Ns (and into the future) to a higher level of rugby with very little on the line.

What's with this "Do we ever get to see our strongest line up" attitude? It comes across pretty entitled. The selection may not be in the best interest of your entertainment for the afternoon but it is in the best interest our season.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

bails wrote: Let's not forget the AP clubs and Bruce Craig happily tried to shaft the Pro 12 last year. Here is our opportunity to beat them well, show them they can't do without us and shove a bit if humble pie down Craig's throat. But no, we are prepared to gamble and potentially submit at home to an average AP side. When a European league gets looked into, as it will eventually 0 wins from 6 in a group is not going to do us any good.
Stop trying to impress them: it genuinely doesn't matter at all. They couldn't care less. They will spin it whatever way that suits them, whatever happens. They are genuine pathological liars.

This season was always a write off in Europe. We always struggle in the first couple of games due to the restrictions on players. Given the world cup and our pool a good league campaign was the only realistic objective. There is no tradition in this competition to respect.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

bails wrote:I take on board many of your opinions. I am just once again disgusted that as a Season ticket holder we don't seem to ever get to see our full strength side at home.

Let's not forget the AP clubs and Bruce Craig happily tried to shaft the Pro 12 last year. Here is our opportunity to beat them well, show them they can't do without us and shove a bit if humble pie down Craig's throat. But no, we are prepared to gamble and potentially submit at home to an average AP side. When a European league gets looked into, as it will eventually 0 wins from 6 in a group is not going to do us any good.
This Euro rugby league will happen around the same time as the Euro Soccer league they've being talking about for 20 years i.e. never.

Really can't understand why you're getting in a twist over not seeing the full strength team put out for what is ultimately a dead rubber for us. This is the full strength team that's already lost 4 from 4, so it's hardly a guarantee that they'd win regardless. And even if they did, what real benefit would come from it? The benefits of getting several good young players some top class experience far outweigh some facile win.

So cheer up, me ould flower!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Donny B. wrote:The benefits of getting several good young players some top class experience far outweigh some facile win.
Not if that experience is a thumping. I think its a risk and while I'm looking forward to seeing it, it could go horribly wrong.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

bails wrote:I take on board many of your opinions. I am just once again disgusted that as a Season ticket holder we don't seem to ever get to see our full strength side at home.

I wish I could share your optimism, or maybe naivety about the game tomorrow, unfortunately last years demise has left me scarred. The one thing we know an AP side will do is attack our front 5. If we cannot resist it may be a long afternoon, and a long season.
It was Craig specifically who determined that league performance, rather than relative European success, should decide Pool ranking for this competition. On that basis alone, the selection is absolutely correct and we give our young players ideal experience to take into our, absolutely vital, Pro12 competition. That it may also serve the National Team interest may well result in the availability of some of the National Squad fringe players, over the next three months and particularly in the vital month of March.

There are no circumstances where I consider the interests of supporter entertainment should take precedence over team objectives, either short or long-term. That's the bottom line in professional sport AFAIC
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

From the POV of player welfare rules, if this buys us an extra league game with our internationals then it's worth it. We're out of the competition, still have a fairly strong team out, and our young guys are getting good experience. I think we might well win.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

For the Bailses of this world from Leo Cullen.

Supporting younger players

"Some of the guys that'll be starting in Europe for the first time, they're young guys who are going to be the future of this club. We want to get behind them as best as we possibly can. We've tried to do everything we can for them this week. And we would urge the support to really get behind those guys as well because they're young guys and hopefully they'll get a lot of confidence from the experience, which would serve them well, not just this season, but into the future as well."

Howay the lads
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

johng wrote:For the Bailses of this world from Leo Cullen.

Supporting younger players

"Some of the guys that'll be starting in Europe for the first time, they're young guys who are going to be the future of this club. We want to get behind them as best as we possibly can. We've tried to do everything we can for them this week. And we would urge the support to really get behind those guys as well because they're young guys and hopefully they'll get a lot of confidence from the experience, which would serve them well, not just this season, but into the future as well."

Howay the lads
Young guns go for it!!!!! :green clap:
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Any chance I can get that season ticket off you Bails?
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

wixfjord wrote:Any chance I can get that season ticket off you Bails?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

imagine if we took europe seriously ...
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Perchance I happened upon a repentant Bails post-match and he promised a sincere and fulsome apology to the young men he doubted.

Can't wait! :D