Mullet

Re: Wasps v Leinster Saturday 3.15 BT Sports

Post by alanair »

No !
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

From memory, no. Sure he would have the least number of defensive collisions there but his positioning and fielding weren't up to it a few years ago.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

simonokeeffe wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
He was completely at seas on a couple of occasions positionally which completely shafted those around him. He had no business being on that pitch for as long as he was. He needed to get the hook early in the second half.
Yeah, still unconvinced by Reid. He's elusive and he can pass beautifully, but he doesn't take enough responsibility on the pitch [to my mind] and he seems to lack the competitive edge you need more and more as you progress up levels. I think that's most obvious in terms of his tackling, which is patty-cake stuff compared to contemporaries like Henshaw, McCloskey, Marshall etc.

Something I've thought of recently about pushing him to take responsibility is getting him back place-kicking. He used to take kicks both at 'A' level and for the Irish U20s [he knocked over 6 conversions in a match at the U20 World Cup against the Scots in 2010 [source: http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixtures ... ef=dynamic ]. He's 25 years old, has 50+ Leinster appearances and an Irish cap to his name ... he should be capable of taking more responsibility in games, and pushing that responsibility on him rather than waiting for him to assume it [or not] would force the issue. It'd make him more central to the team's efforts and performances.

At the moment I'd characterise him as centre who sidesteps and passes but doesn't kick or tackle - half a player. Maybe that's harsh. I don't think it's harsh to say that too often he's decorative and not structural.
think he used to play 10 and maybe even 15 too?

anything to be said for putting him to 15? doesnt have to defend in the line then
Yeah I'm pretty sure he did play 10 when he was on the A's a few years ago. The B&I cup semi or QF against Munster in the RDS a few years ago comes to mind,..it didn't go too well from what I remember.
Dont Panic!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I remember him being a Paddy Wallace type for u20s, 10/12/15

Scrumhalf then? :wink:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

hugonaut wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
the spoofer wrote:I'd be interested to hear peoples views on Daly's try. It looked to me like Noel Reid hung Fitzgerald out to dry.
He was completely at seas on a couple of occasions positionally which completely shafted those around him. He had no business being on that pitch for as long as he was. He needed to get the hook early in the second half.
Yeah, still unconvinced by Reid. He's elusive and he can pass beautifully, but he doesn't take enough responsibility on the pitch [to my mind] and he seems to lack the competitive edge you need more and more as you progress up levels. I think that's most obvious in terms of his tackling, which is patty-cake stuff compared to contemporaries like Henshaw, McCloskey, Marshall etc.

Something I've thought of recently about pushing him to take responsibility is getting him back place-kicking. He used to take kicks both at 'A' level and for the Irish U20s [he knocked over 6 conversions in a match at the U20 World Cup against the Scots in 2010 [source: http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixtures ... ef=dynamic ]. He's 25 years old, has 50+ Leinster appearances and an Irish cap to his name ... he should be capable of taking more responsibility in games, and pushing that responsibility on him rather than waiting for him to assume it [or not] would force the issue. It'd make him more central to the team's efforts and performances.

At the moment I'd characterise him as centre who sidesteps and passes but doesn't kick or tackle - half a player. Maybe that's harsh. I don't think it's harsh to say that too often he's decorative and not structural.
Totally agree. And i'd add this about Reid - he has a wonderful eye for space, can spot a gap and hit it better than most players in Ireland. But (maybe because he's a bit contact shy) when their defensive line is set and he needs to hit it up straight and hard, he's not that willing. Even if he's passing it rather than going into contact you can often see him ship it out rather than run straight and fix a defender. Marsh and himself against Wasps were just getting rid of it without hardly taking a step forward. He has the ability to do it, but as Hugo says the competitive edge isn't as apparent as it is with other guys.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

simonokeeffe wrote:I remember him being a Paddy Wallace type for u20s, 10/12/15

Scrumhalf then? :wink:
Was a 10 with Tarf and really started that way with Leinster too (remember his poor show against Munster A in the RDS B&I Cup)
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

That clown O'Connor killed Leinster and the gom Cullen is flogging the dead horse. Better get all the money ye can now lads 'cos the money is drying up.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Raydollard wrote:That clown O'Connor killed Leinster and the gom Cullen is flogging the dead horse. Better get all the money ye can now lads 'cos the money is drying up.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Some fans feel that success is measured by a good performance in the crushingly mediocre Pro 12. But I measure progress by performance in the real competition. 5 out of 6 losses is a massive failure there.

I believe that this level of failure will not persuade fans for much longer to part with loads of cash to feed the huge and hugely expensive squad of players (and management) that we have. I also consider that there needs to be consequences of failure for players/management. Instead the gravy train that is the jobs for the boys continues to roll for those failures and underachievers that remain inside the camp. However I can see it coming to a sudden halt and that will be judged by how much cash fans will continue to come up with.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Good for you man. At least you know what you want.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

Peg Leg wrote:Good for you man. At least you know what you want.
Yeah, that's a lovely place to be! :D
The French are predictably unpredictable
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

rosscarrick wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Good for you man. At least you know what you want.
Yeah, that's a lovely place to be! :D
Not only that, but I'm here to tell ya where you'll get it.................Bordeaux!

Quick RD run. they're waiting for ya! :happy clapper: