Dragons V Leinster Pro12 2015/16

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Dragons V Leinster Pro12 2015/16

Post by Keith »

ribs wrote:
Keith wrote:The worrying thing for me is; no matter what team we put out we can't convert opportunities in the redzone into tries. Our play is usually pretty good from far out from the line but when we get 5-10 meters out we slow down the phases down for some reason and don't really know what to do.
I remember this being a serious problem for us just before we started winning European Cups too. We were losing games despite 10 phases 1 yard out. Just couldn't get over the line. I think some well known signings in the forwards and a bit of plan sorted it out.
I agree but we haven't been recruiting well lately. A good skills coach could go a long way too.
hope not expectation
Bookworm

Post by hope not expectation »

Keith wrote:
ribs wrote:
Keith wrote:The worrying thing for me is; no matter what team we put out we can't convert opportunities in the redzone into tries. Our play is usually pretty good from far out from the line but when we get 5-10 meters out we slow down the phases down for some reason and don't really know what to do.
I remember this being a serious problem for us just before we started winning European Cups too. We were losing games despite 10 phases 1 yard out. Just couldn't get over the line. I think some well known signings in the forwards and a bit of plan sorted it out.
I agree but we haven't been recruiting well lately. A good skills coach could go a long way too.
I completely agree Keith. We badly need an experienced forwards coach. Our maul is very poor and our pick and go within the red zone seems to get nowhere.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I'm not sure if going for the try at 17-13 was a bad call. Two penalties near the corner on the bad side for a right-footed kicker, on a very windy night, on a very mucky pitch. Difficult kicks. We also had good momentum, they were pushing on a sin-binning and we had looked like scoring (well, in the sense of forward drives going close and being held up over the line).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

to channel my inner Toland basically we were light cavalry that got bogged down in a quagmire, and suffered for a lack of one or two hefty ball carriers to get us over the line, and a bench

was the Hewitt break/try while Leavy was in the bin? seemed down his channel

Te'o is going to want to get used to those conditions playing in Worcester, not like it never rains in NZ either
As Dave said Murphy's tap and go was poor decision

McGrath was great though and leadership seems to suit him
Molony again, Ringrose too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

He spent his rugby league days between brisbane and sidney. That's the years between 16 and 26.

It might rain there. It might even rain very heavily. But when it does you buy a lotto ticket.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:He spent his rugby league days between brisbane and sidney. That's the years between 16 and 26.

It might rain there. It might even rain very heavily. But when it does you buy a lotto ticket.
I stand corrected, and Worcester might want to be him some mittens
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Re-watched this today with lower blood pressure. There were actually a few decent performances with some sloppiness sprinkled all around.

Overall, the one area we need to put some serious work into is our maul, both attack and defense.

Our continuity in terrible conditions, particularly in the 2nd half, was good from a team with so many changes and both our scrum-halves showed the ability to keep the tempo high. Boss still has much to offer in the Pro12.

When we get into red zone, we lose our composure and the whole squad need to re-consider why and how we go so narrow and look so toothless and ineffective with repetitive pick and go from forwards with no momentum.

Pick of the crop? McGrath passed and captained well. Molony competed well in line-out and breakdowns. Leavy tackled well but carried a bit too much at contact. Tracy worked hard and well, carrying and tackling, but overthrew a critical line-out. Triggs gave a real tight-head lock performance and some payback, in a game precisely the sort for which he was signed.

Leo will have been as disappointed as all the fans, not to get something from this performance. But we gave away too many soft points, which they took well. On the other hand, they defended as if their lives depended on it and that was the difference.
Bluebulls
Beginner

Post by Bluebulls »

Two years ago our maul was a potent weapon (even at times last year under oconnor) where has it gone? Seems to have gone the same way as the scrum! Are we missing Jonno Gibbs? Are we missing Feek? Are we missing some kickass coaching. No BS just discipline and team work.