Leinster vs Zebre - 12 Feb - McKinley's return?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Leinster vs Zebre - 12 Feb - McKinley's return?

Post by curates_egg »

Of course it will be great if we get a few of Ross, Healy, Mick Kearney and Isa back fit for this one...and if we get our hands on some internationals (maybe Mads, Cronin, Van der Flier). We definitely need 5 points.

However, it is really a possibility that Ian McKinley could make a return to the RDS. Zebre have both Canna and Haimona in the 6 Nations squad, and have only one other ten on their roster. McKinley got drafted in (from Viadana, where he is captain this season) to plug a gap for one game during the world cup. By all accounts, he is on great form with Viadana (a mate there tells me he is by far their best player), so it is reasonable to assume he could feature in Zebre's 23 during the 6 Nations.
With the IRFU finally having joined the trial on the rugby goggles, that clears the way for McKinley legally anyway.
What a story it would be.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster vs Zebre - 12 Feb - McKinley's return

Post by brotheroffrank »

Tenth Minute. ...one minute of sustained applause if he is playing? ? Who'd agree?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

It would be really nice to mark it in some way if he does somehow make it onto the 23. There is no way he will start though.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

curates_egg wrote:It would be really nice to mark it in some way if he does somehow make it onto the 23. There is no way he will start though.
Don't worry, those of us on the terrace will make enough noise as he passes (assuming he does). I can't see us getting any kind of stadium wide reaction unfortunately. Maybe if/when he comes on.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

molloyjh wrote:
curates_egg wrote:It would be really nice to mark it in some way if he does somehow make it onto the 23. There is no way he will start though.
Don't worry, those of us on the terrace will make enough noise as he passes (assuming he does). I can't see us getting any kind of stadium wide reaction unfortunately. Maybe if/when he comes on.
I'll not make it back home for this game anyway but I'm sure you will.
What about a banner with the magic goggles on it?
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Ah here, lets wait until we have the game won before we start worshiping the oppo's out half.

Imagine if he deliver's a masterclass and single-handedly humiliates us while we're waving a banner of appreciation.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Is McKinley still with Zebre? I thought he was only there as WC cover.
Last edited by Keith on February 3rd, 2016, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Apparently Ulster and Connacht have being making come hither noises at McKinley now that he is eligible to play in Ireland again. I'd imagine he'll have plenty of suitors if he puts in some good performances for Zebre.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Keith wrote:
As far as I can see he isn't at the moment. His Twitter profile has him at Viadana.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Donny B. wrote:
Keith wrote:
As far as I can see he isn't at the moment. His Twitter profile has him at Viadana.
If you see my original post, Zebre will be missing two outhalves to the national squad during the 6 Nations. As a result, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that McKinley could be drafted back in for this period, for the same reason as during the world cup.
His form in Viadana (where he is captain and scored a try last weekend) has been excellent according to a friend of mine from Viadana.
It is far from guaranteed but it is a live possibility. The fact the ÍRFU suddenly decided to participate in the trial may just be a coincidence but the timing is interesting.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Both Canna and Haimona in the Italian matchday squad this weekend...
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

curates_egg wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Keith wrote: Is McKinley still with Zebre? I thought he was only there as WC cover.
If you see my original post, Zebre will be missing two outhalves to the national squad during the 6 Nations. As a result, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that McKinley could be drafted back in for this period, for the same reason as during the world cup.
His form in Viadana (where he is captain and scored a try last weekend) has been excellent according to a friend of mine from Viadana.
It is far from guaranteed but it is a live possibility. The fact the ÍRFU suddenly decided to participate in the trial may just be a coincidence but the timing is interesting.
Yeah, I saw your point but I was answering Keith's question.
I really hope he is drafted in and would love to see him come on at the RDS, but unless Zebre draft him into the squad, there's not much point in talking about it.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

curates_egg wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
I'll not make it back home for this game anyway but I'm sure you will.
What about a banner with the magic goggles on it?
Something like this?

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I actually see now there's no ? in the title, which I had meant to put. Don't know if the mods can fix that.

Looks like Madigan will continue benching for Ireland. Great for him but I was hoping we'd get him back for a couple of games, working on the assumption Jackson's form and gametime would get him in the 23.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster vs Zebre - 12 Feb - McKinley's return?

Post by curates_egg »

Schmidt hinting we could get Ross and Healy back for this one. Ross would certainly be handy!
A selection of Healy/Dooley, Strauss, Ross, Molony, Triggs, Ryan, Van Der Flier (or Leavy if we don't get him), Murphy, Reddan, Marsh, Isa, Te'o, Ringrose, McFadden, Kirchner would be a strong team that should get the 5 points sorted early.

Zebre are missing loads of players (apart from their two outhalves) and, while we are too, our second team is clearly far stronger than theirs. I really hope we don't make hard work of getting the bonus (we should have it sewn up before the replacements come on)...but our inability to score tries at times this season has been a concern.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Leinster squad training features Mike Ross and a photo of the lesser spotted Mick Kearney.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

the spoofer wrote:Leinster squad training features Mike Ross and a photo of the lesser spotted Mick Kearney.
One day we will sign a second row who doesn't get injured. They should just drop Kearney in formaldehyde now though, so we can cherish the memory for ever.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

the spoofer wrote:Leinster squad training features Mike Ross and a photo of the lesser spotted Mick Kearney.
Healy also in there. Nacewa not training though.

http://inpho.ie/assignment/Leinster-Rug ... ChCO9bQ..a
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

who is the poor sod carrying Ross?

Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:who is the poor sod carrying Ross?

It can't be Luke McGrath can it? If so he's some strong f^cker.
So Ross isn't fit if he's having to be carried around the field in training.
Those lads who are laughing should be sharing the burden IMHO.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.