Leinster vs Zebre - 12 Feb - McKinley's return?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster vs Zebre - 12 Feb - McKinley's return?

Post by paddyor »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:Really enjoyed the evening. Kelleher is the most beautifully balanced speedster I've seen in a long time - I hope the cameras got a good capture of his try. And while Zebre were poor, they certainly weren't holding back in the physicality stakes in the first half.
I thought they were very physical for the first 20 of the second too. They gang tackled every pick and drive in that period and I think that's what wore them out in the end. We seemed to be parked in there 22 for a long time with not a lot of movement on the score board before the flood gates opened.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Logorrhea wrote:
Keith wrote:Playing well against Zebre should be a given. ZK has been shown up every time he's played against quality opposition.
Bollix. He's been playing well this year fairly consistently.
Well that is just not true. The fact Cullen picked Madigan ahead of him at home to Wasps, then threw Rob Kearney straight in ahead of him in the away game shows what the coaches think of him. So he isn't even trusted in the big games at 15...What games has he stood out in?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Keith wrote:The fact Cullen picked Madigan ahead of him at home to Wasps,
Thats incorrect. We were fecked with injuries in that game, Luke and T'eo weren't available and Ringrose was still very callow. With Ferg needed in the centre, Cullen had one winger (DK) fit for that game and Kirchner has played elite level rugby on the wing before. Madigan was picked at full back because Kirchner was needed elsewhere - he wasn't picked ahead of Kirchner.

Rob Kearney will always be picked ahead of Kirchner at full back. If we signed Serge Blanco, Christian Cullen, Chris Lathem and JPR Williams in their pomp, Rob would be picked ahead of them. Thats Irish rugby.
I have Bumbleflex
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Thats incorrect. We were fecked with injuries in that game, Luke and T'eo weren't available and Ringrose was still very callow. With Ferg needed in the centre, Cullen had one winger (DK) fit for that game and Kirchner has played elite level rugby on the wing before. Madigan was picked at full back because Kirchner was needed elsewhere - he wasn't picked ahead of Kirchner.

Rob Kearney will always be picked ahead of Kirchner at full back. If we signed Serge Blanco, Christian Cullen, Chris Lathem and JPR Williams in their pomp, Rob would be picked ahead of them. Thats Irish rugby.
Never thought I'd say this but I agree with Dave Cahill :?
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Dave Cahill wrote:

Sure Fanning was available! :D
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Keith wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

Sure Fanning was available! :D
Probably autocorrect for "ginger"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

I know it was a weak Zebre side but it would have given the likes of Byrne and Kelleher a lot of confidence.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Kelleher showed a fair bit of toe for his try.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Nice offload from Byrne for the first too.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

neiliog93 wrote:Kelleher showed a fair bit of toe for his try.
Serious wheels - it's been a while since we've seen that type of gas. As someone else posted, it was Hickie-esque.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Fred Funk wrote:I know it was a weak Zebre side but it would have given the likes of Byrne and Kelleher a lot of confidence.
Very, very encouraging alright. There's a lot of potential in that b.1993-95 group – Luke McGrath, Ringrose, Adam Byrne, Cian Kelleher – footballing ability, leadership, size, physicality and speed. If we add Henshaw [b.1993] into the mix [fingers crossed], it gets significantly stronger again. I'd also be a fan of Tom Daly [b.1993], who has yet to make his senior debut but has been captaining Ireland in the 7s, scoring tries and kicking goals for them and playing well in the B&I Cup at No12. Add Conor Nash, Navan's answer to Israel Folau, at fullback and it's an extremely exciting group.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Whatever about the quality of the opposition, it was good to see some of the young guns extremely comfortable at this level.
Hopefully a few will be afforded the chance to advance. DK's injury and Ferg's form will have opened up a few places as well as Ringrose's absolutely meritorious claim to a place. It is also time to declare Luke as the first choice 9. Not always in favour of a coach being so decisive (Keatly v JJ didn't work out) but in the case of a young gun against two 35 year olds to me its a no-brainer.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

jimbobjoe wrote:
Serious wheels - it's been a while since we've seen that type of gas. As someone else posted, it was Hickie-esque.
What was particularly good was his style of running. He is not just quick he is quick the right way. The ball was tucked high on the right and the left arm moved in a full sprinter range. He has a good high knee lift and a clean stride. It looks like someone is coaching them on how to run quick.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Fireworks wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:
What was particularly good was his style of running. He is not just quick he is quick the right way. The ball was tucked high on the right and the left arm moved in a full sprinter range. He has a good high knee lift and a clean stride. It looks like someone is coaching them on how to run quick.
I know Michael's focus a lot at a younger age on players learning to run the right way.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Fireworks wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:
As someone heavily involved in athletics, I cannot emphasise enough how quickly a youngster's speed will increase when their sprinting technique is addressed.
As the schools season finishes I would recommend any kid to sign up with their local athletics club. It keeps their fitness ticking over and will only benefit their rugby. Outdoor competitions commence in April and as such dovetail well with the rugby season. Some schools have decent athletics programmes but in the main it is the clubs that provide the coaching.
As GG implies above, the younger you start the better.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

hugonaut wrote:
Fred Funk wrote:I know it was a weak Zebre side but it would have given the likes of Byrne and Kelleher a lot of confidence.
Very, very encouraging alright. There's a lot of potential in that b.1993-95 group – Luke McGrath, Ringrose, Adam Byrne, Cian Kelleher – footballing ability, leadership, size, physicality and speed. If we add Henshaw [b.1993] into the mix [fingers crossed], it gets significantly stronger again. I'd also be a fan of Tom Daly [b.1993], who has yet to make his senior debut but has been captaining Ireland in the 7s, scoring tries and kicking goals for them and playing well in the B&I Cup at No12. Add Conor Nash, Navan's answer to Israel Folau, at fullback and it's an extremely exciting group.
there's a sentence I never expected to hear, but am happy to have heard it
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

simonokeeffe wrote:
All-code schoolboy legend:
http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1081311/
http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1056769/
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

hugonaut wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
All-code schoolboy legend:
http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1081311/
http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1056769/
back off Toulon
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon