Graduate

Re: Cardiff v Leinster

Post by bails »

Fitzgibbon is just plain useless !
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Have rarely been as anxious as in last four minutes. A win for Leinster, for Kurt, for Leo, for discipline so accurate that even Fitzgibbon couldn't screw us.

Big displays (relatively) from Conan, Kearney M, Healy, Ross, Triggs, Ruddock, Reddan and Isa. Jordi had another day to forget, as did Zane. Line-out was a total lottery and Cronin almost got the Yips in the first half. Ross demonstrated comrehensively how far ahead of Furlong he still is in each facet of play, except mobility. Mick Kearney gave an excellent demo as to why he was contracted and Leo will be delighted with Conan's display which showed how much the gap between him and Heaslip has closed.

There can be no exaggeration of the conditions though. It was impossible to throw the ball beyond about 7 mtrs, hence the line-out stats. Cardiff had a dg attempt in last phase of the game and Thatchell went back 10 mtrs into the pocket. The Leinster players reached him at about the same time as the pass!

All in all a great victory against game opponents and a refereeing performance thatgave all the appearances of bias, but may only have been extreme incompetence
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Agree with all said .. Except Cardiff's line out stars were almost 100% success... Go figure
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Another yellow for McFadden. Didn't see it, was it as stupid as the last one?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

@DC the Cardiff changes? They brought on weaker props

@Hugo ok am being harsh on them first half, and they improved a bit with Patchell at 10, but their kicking/general territory game was awful in the second half with the wind. Bear in mind our lineout was pants all game, they hardly kicked to touch or tried to pin us back, mostly tried to pick and jam from miles out. Their maul was doing great so even if we kick back or try to clear our lines they still have (gained) a huge advantage
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

That was the best I've seen Cian Healy play in a while. Mike Kearney impressed on his first outing this season. Triggs too put in a serious shift. Our line outs though were a feckin disaster. Calling long throws with the wind that was out there today was crazy and not a little bit stupid.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Twist wrote:Another yellow for McFadden. Didn't see it, was it as stupid as the last one?
If by stupid you mean that it shouldn't have been given as as YC at all , then yes incredibly stupid
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

If McFaddens was a yellow then Patchel should have got one too be catching McFadden high in his try saving tackle not a minute earlier. I was watching a recording of the match, once Fitzgibbon gave that yellow I just fast forwarded most of the match as it was clear he was going to ruin the match
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I still can't believe that he came to the conclusion he did having seen the replays. I think everyone watching thought it looked bad live but I just cannot understand what he was thinking as he watched it back. I honestly do think he was just thinking about how weird it was that he had to go and check a tv and that the cameras were on him and he just didn't take anything in.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I still can't believe that he came to the conclusion he did having seen the replays. I think everyone watching thought it looked bad live but I just cannot understand what he was thinking as he watched it back. I honestly do think he was just thinking about how weird it was that he had to go and check a tv and that the cameras were on him and he just didn't take anything in.
I didn't think it looked bad, I thought it looked great.

To be frank, I think it's a little bit odd that people are giving Fitzgibbon such benefit of the doubt regarding his motivation. When you have the guts of a decade of evidence that he's rarely fair or impartial when it comes to refereeing Leinster, I think it's pretty obvious what his thinking was.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Any victory over Fitzgibbon is sweet. No matter how ugly it is, you know it's very hard fought.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

I wouldn't say this lightly, and I'm so glad we won because it lends a bit more credibility to my sincerity and not just sour grapes, that I genuinely think Fitzgibbon has no place refereeing Leinster games. He is a die hard Munster fan and whether intentionally or not, he can't separate his dislike for Leinster from his profession. I honestly believe that 100%. I'm not saying he's consciously doing it, I'm not saying that he isn't, I don't know either way, but his track record with Leinster is more than simply worth a raised eyebrow.

I don't like blaming refs for losses etc., and more often than not you will get a ref who screws your team over more one week, and the opposition the next, it's rarely consistent, but it's consistently inconsistent, but with Fitzgibbon that's not the case, it is perfectly consistent and it is consistently biased.

I read somewhere a while back that Anthony Foley was preparing a dossier to present to the referees association / unions about how his team is being punished when others aren't, he quipped "It's only paranoia when everyone isn't out to get you", although he had a sense of humour about it, I did think it was kind of pathetic, but thank god in the context of a win, I really think Leinster should build a case based on genuine evidence and address it with the union. I think if you were to go through his performances in Leinster games only, you could find a very clear pattern of inconsistency that always benefits the opponents of Leinster.

He should not be involved in officiating a Leinster game ever again.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote:27 tackles and 0 missed for Rhys today, according to ESPN.
Heroic stuff.
Updated now 29 / 0......maybe time to update the signature.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Rhys was immense ... And I know he puts it in every game ... But he seems to reserve his really top performances whenever we're playing against Welsh opposition...
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Have rarely been as anxious as in last four minutes. A win for Leinster, for Kurt, for Leo, for discipline so accurate that even Fitzgibbon couldn't screw us.

Big displays (relatively) from Conan, Kearney M, Healy, Ross, Triggs, Ruddock, Reddan and Isa. Jordi had another day to forget, as did Zane. Line-out was a total lottery and Cronin almost got the Yips in the first half. Ross demonstrated comrehensively how far ahead of Furlong he still is in each facet of play, except mobility. Mick Kearney gave an excellent demo as to why he was contracted and Leo will be delighted with Conan's display which showed how much the gap between him and Heaslip has closed.

There can be no exaggeration of the conditions though. It was impossible to throw the ball beyond about 7 mtrs, hence the line-out stats. Cardiff had a dg attempt in last phase of the game and Thatchell went back 10 mtrs into the pocket. The Leinster players reached him at about the same time as the pass!

All in all a great victory against game opponents and a refereeing performance thatgave all the appearances of bias, but may only have been extreme incompetence
How? The scrum looked stronger with Furlong on (and he was scrumming against Gethin Jenkins from the off). Also, Furlong made twice the number of tackles with the same time on the field.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ChrisUppy wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Have rarely been as anxious as in last four minutes. A win for Leinster, for Kurt, for Leo, for discipline so accurate that even Fitzgibbon couldn't screw us.

How? The scrum looked stronger with Furlong on (and he was scrumming against Gethin Jenkins from the off). Also, Furlong made twice the number of tackles with the same time on the field.
There's no way that the scrum was better with Furlong in for Ross. It clearly improved- now that may have been a factor of other changes too- but Ross was certainly a key influence. Not arguing on Tadgh being better around the field- although Mike did better than his usual trundling; but that's the deal with Ross. He just does the main job- but does it very well and better than any one else currently.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

That was a very satisfying win given the conditions. Could prove crucial in deciding if we get a home SF. Kearney looks to be a great bit of business and ideal to slot in with Mike Mac out for the season. I look forward to seeing him again next week.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ChrisUppy wrote:The scrum looked stronger with Furlong on (and he was scrumming against Gethin Jenkins from the off).
1/ It didn't.

2/ Gethin Jenkins is a deckchair. (though still good about the field for an aulfellah)

3/ Gethin Jenkins wasn't playing.

Furlong is an absolute monster. With great hands. A great engine. Great strength. But he still has a bit to learn in the scrum. (which is no insult to a guy his age) Rossey is the scrum doctor. He has forgotten more about scrumaging than Furlong has yet learned. But when he does learn. Look out world!
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

artaneboy wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:

There's no way that the scrum was better with Furlong in for Ross. It clearly improved- now that may have been a factor of other changes too- but Ross was certainly a key influence. Not arguing on Tadgh being better around the field- although Mike did better than his usual trundling; but that's the deal with Ross. He just does the main job- but does it very well and better than any one else currently.
So when you said that Ross was better in every other facet, did you just mean scrummaging?

But I do believe Ross is a better scrummager, but not on the evidence of that match imo. Our best sequence of scrums was up and around their 22 in the first half.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

johng wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:The scrum looked stronger with Furlong on (and he was scrumming against Gethin Jenkins from the off).
1/ It didn't.

2/ Gethin Jenkins is a deckchair. (though still good about the field for an aulfellah)

3/ Gethin Jenkins wasn't playing.

Furlong is an absolute monster. With great hands. A great engine. Great strength. But he still has a bit to learn in the scrum. (which is no insult to a guy his age) Rossey is the scrum doctor. He has forgotten more about scrumaging than Furlong has yet learned. But when he does learn. Look out world!
No idea where I got it in my head that Jenkins was playing!

I know that Ross is a better scrummager, that's not the point I was making. I was more questioning the assertion that Ross was superior in everything bar mobility in that match. I didn't think he improved the scrum vastly (I thought our scrum was less potent in the second half) and aside from that I don't know what else he did so superior to Furlong