Henshaw leaving Connacht

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Henshaw leaving Connacht

Post by wixfjord »

Yeah careful now, GG likes his youth embroynic, 25 is over the hill!

I actually think Aki might just be a Schmidt type of player. His energy and rucking is huge for a centre, also very good on the floor which is something we miss with BOD & Darce gone. Definitely the best NIQ signing of recent times for my money.

Wouldn't like to see him playing ahead of the likes of RH, Big Stu or Our Gary though.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

He shouldn't player for Ireland. Same as the rest of the project players.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

goreyguy wrote:He shouldn't player for Ireland. Same as the rest of the project players.
In an ideal world no.
But it's not an ideal world and we'd be foolish not to make use of that loophole like most other sides in the world.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Henshaw leaving Connacht

Post by artaneboy »

goreyguy wrote:He shouldn't player for Ireland. Same as the rest of the project players.
Jaysus- we get it; you don't like the idea of project players. Understood. But the point is they ARE eligible- and therefore inevitably some certainly will be selected, just as they are in all rugby playing countries.

So with that knowledge we can argue on who should be picked- and Aki looks a good un! He better than Ben- useful as he is. So until the rule changes- the sooner the better.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
ronk wrote:I'd previously been quite strongly against it, but the main reasons are now moot.

Being a Connacht player is no barrier to getting caps and they've sustainable paths to success that don't depend rigidly on him.

He's a loss to them but hardly decisive.

For Irish rugby Teo'o is a loss
Pipeline looks good at center though. Wouldn't be happy with T'eo / Aki midfield given the glut of lads coming through.
it would be an awful combination, unless you were playing League

I dont think Aki is Schmidt's type of player
Aki will be around a lot longer than Schmidt
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

goreyguy wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
ronk wrote:I'd previously been quite strongly against it, but the main reasons are now moot.

Being a Connacht player is no barrier to getting caps and they've sustainable paths to success that don't depend rigidly on him.

He's a loss to them but hardly decisive.

For Irish rugby Teo'o is a loss
Pipeline looks good at center though. Wouldn't be happy with T'eo / Aki midfield given the glut of lads coming through.
neither should ever play for Ireland.. thankfully Teo wont now.
Thems the rules. Rather him with us than against us. Foolish not to use the project rule while it's in place.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

can someone supply a list of Irish internationals who did well after being first capped 27 or older?

I think Aki (for Joe's liking) is too indisciplined both in defensive patterns and conceding penalties

plus the Leinster blessed trinity of Sexton Henshaw Ringrose will be be hard to disrupt/shift
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

simonokeeffe wrote:can someone supply a list of Irish internationals who did well after being first capped 27 or older?

I think Aki (for Joe's liking) is too indisciplined both in defensive patterns and conceding penalties

plus the Leinster blessed trinity of Sexton Henshaw Ringrose will be be hard to disrupt/shift
Mike Ross, Mike McCarthy, Shane Byrne, Jerry Flannery, Jared Payne
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

leinsterforever wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:can someone supply a list of Irish internationals who did well after being first capped 27 or older?

Mike Ross, Mike McCarthy, Shane Byrne, Jerry Flannery
think we've also got Jared Payne, Nathan White, Tom Court, Strauss (2 months out) Declan Fitzpatrick, Jackman, Guy Easterby, Reggie Corrigan
leinsterforever
Mullet

simonokeeffe wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:

Mike Ross, Mike McCarthy, Shane Byrne, Jerry Flannery
think we've also got Jared Payne, Nathan White, Tom Court, Strauss (2 months out) Declan Fitzpatrick, Jackman, Guy Easterby, Reggie Corrigan
Brian Carney made the World Cup squad. Is that enough to be classed under "did well"?
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

goreyguy wrote:

Artane boy wrote:
Jaysus- we get it; you don't like the idea of project players. Understood. But the point is they ARE eligible- and therefore inevitably some certainly will be selected, just as they are in all rugby playing countries.
Very much a +1 on Goryguy shutting up about it.

As for Aki I rate him and I think he's an asset. He can play either 12 or 13 with ease, he's a big unit and rarely gets injured. No idea if Schmidt rates him or not.

He seems to be a better 13 than 12 though. Next season him and Peter Robb in the centre could be a frightening pairing in terms of physicality for Connacht.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:
goreyguy wrote:

Artane boy wrote:
Very much a +1 on Goryguy shutting up about it.

As for Aki I rate him and I think he's an asset. He can play either 12 or 13 with ease, he's a big unit and rarely gets injured. No idea if Schmidt rates him or not.

He seems to be a better 13 than 12 though. Next season him and Peter Robb in the centre could be a frightening pairing in terms of physicality for Connacht.
theyve also got the rugby leaguer who was injured all year
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Good to hear that you've high hopes for Robb, really liked the look of him at 20s level but have barely seen him since. I know he's been more involved recently but I haven't been able to see him.
leinsterforever
Mullet

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Good to hear that you've high hopes for Robb, really liked the look of him at 20s level but have barely seen him since. I know he's been more involved recently but I haven't been able to see him.
He's hardly going to partner Aki though, is he? That partnership might be a bit one-dimensional
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

He's hardly going to partner Aki though, is he? That partnership might be a bit one-dimensional
Don't tell the likes of Roberts and Davies that they'll be devastated. :lol:

As for Robb, Lam & Carolan rate him a lot which is usually a good sign of a player. Think we missed a trick not bringing him into the academy although I understand why. It's only he's a different type of centre than we have at the moment. He strikes me as a bigger stronger less injury prone Eamonn Sheridan. That said Teo is doing that job quite well at the mo and of course we have Henshaw next season.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

ah it was a mistake in my book.. but they had him for two years in the sub-academy.. getting turned down might have been exactly what he needed.. plus I fancy connacht to up skill him better than the rest of the provinces.