Henshaw leaving Connacht

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

COYBIB
Enlightened

Re: Henshaw leaving Connacht

Post by COYBIB »

LeinsterLeader wrote: Interesting points. Would we be better off getting a top quality NIQ who we'd have all year or another player we're only going to have for only a handful of games? Don't get me wrong he's a great player but would be interesting if we had that choice which would you pick?
Well I think it's a no brainer that in a perfect world Te'o would remain in Irish rugby, become Irish qualified in a season and Connacht keep their man. Te'o has been one of, if not the best back in Leinster for a while now, well, until Ringrose, and would valuable to the national team and is still relatively young, has a good few years left.

Who knows what kind of money Worcester are paying him, but I think if we're going to invest in "project players", we might as well try and get the obsessive benefit at the end of the day, get them in a green shirt. Personally I want player to become IQ to appease the communists in Lansdowne Road, I can live with losing Te'o, I understand losing Madigan, but Moore is the one that's tough to forgive.

The IRFU model has become completely outdated, as good as it was to transition into professionalism, they are dinosaurs in a modern game with no concept of how to adapt to the new commercial realities facing them. The league is a perfect example in it's inadequacy and indifference to any sort of commercial sustainability, but the old suits will grip tighter than ever and make sure they drag the ship down with them rather than relinquish control for the preservation of the sport....but I wont get started on that...

All I'll say is a single payer, centralised model is no longer commercially viable and the sooner private investment is brought into the game, the better.
ChrisUppy wrote: Ultimately, players won't move if they don't want to. Madigan and Moore showed that they'd prefer to head abroad than be shipped to Munster.
I think the fact that money isn't a consideration in Irish rugby (with the pay the same whether you're at Leinster, Munster etc.), that it's a case of Leinster / IRFU unwilling to commit to contract amounts, or near to amounts, that are tabled from elsewhere. In many cases that's fair enough. Madigan for example reportedly getting 500k or something, well as important as he is in Irish rugby (#2 fly-half), he's not 500k important and good luck to him if he can get that sort of money...but a 24 year old tighthead who is already international quality....
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I think its £450k a year

Leo/leinster probably doing usual thing of waiting to announce all the comings (and goings) in the one go
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Move to Leinster confirmed

The IRFU have announced that Robbie Henshaw will see out the remainder of his contract with Connacht before joining Leinster on a three-year deal which will run from July 2016 until after the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

Henshaw joined the Connacht Academy in 2012, and made his senior Connacht debut against Cardiff Blues in his first year.

His first senior cap came during the summer tour of 2013 and he has been a regular in Joe Schmidt's squad winning 17 caps to date.

IRFU Performance Director David Nucifora said, "I am disappointed for Connacht that Robbie has decided to leave but pleased for Irish rugby that he has committed to a further three years. I know that the decision Robbie has taken to move from Connacht is not one he has taken lightly."

Robbie Henshaw said, "I would like to thank Connacht, the IRFU and Leinster for allowing me time to consider my future.

"This has been a long and difficult process and while I am sorry to be leaving Connacht I look forward to the next chapter of my rugby career at Leinster.

"The support I have enjoyed from the fans in the Sportsground and throughout the province is something that I really value and I want to thank them for four great years."

Leinster head coach Leo Cullen commented, "We are delighted to have secured Robbie's signature for the next three seasons. Robbie is a huge talent and we have all seen that over the last few weeks and months with Ireland in the Six Nations and during the World Cup.

"We look forward to welcoming him into Leinster when this season is over and I am sure that our supporters would echo that view."
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I was beginning to get worried he'd head abroad
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Flipping brilliant news now that it's finally confirmed. Three year deal is fantastic too.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Welcome home Robbie. Rather have Teo though, TBH.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The " Henshaw is cr@p anyway" narrative has already started down shelbyville. :lol:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

A little bit of good news on a cold wet Tuesday.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Great stuff! Delighted to have him on board. He's an absolutely fantastic player with a great attitude. Good news on a Tuesday!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Fantastic news.

I'm genuinely sorry for Connacht supporters as he was a home grown and developed star.

But obviously my happiness as a Leinster supporter takes precedence!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:The " Henshaw is cr@p anyway" narrative has already started down shelbyville. :lol:
he's just a pretty boy Dennis Hurley
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Always nice to see a good player coming in but it's a real blow for Connacht.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I'm so delighted that all the bloody rumours and will he/won't he cr@p is finished with. Him and Ringrose should be some partnership
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

simonokeeffe wrote:
blockhead wrote:The " Henshaw is cr@p anyway" narrative has already started down shelbyville. :lol:
he's just a pretty boy Dennis Hurley
Oh he's "a bit of a donkey" apparently. Connacht should be happy to be rid of him so
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I'd previously been quite strongly against it, but the main reasons are now moot.

Being a Connacht player is no barrier to getting caps and they've sustainable paths to success that don't depend rigidly on him.

He's a loss to them but hardly decisive.

For Irish rugby Teo'o is a loss
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

ronk wrote:I'd previously been quite strongly against it, but the main reasons are now moot.

Being a Connacht player is no barrier to getting caps and they've sustainable paths to success that don't depend rigidly on him.

Pipeline looks good at center though. Wouldn't be happy with T'eo / Aki midfield given the glut of lads coming through.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Peg Leg wrote:
ronk wrote:I'd previously been quite strongly against it, but the main reasons are now moot.

Pipeline looks good at center though. Wouldn't be happy with T'eo / Aki midfield given the glut of lads coming through.
neither should ever play for Ireland.. thankfully Teo wont now.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:

it would be an awful combination, unless you were playing League

I dont think Aki is Schmidt's type of player
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Aki is an outstanding player. He'll definitely get caps in my opinion. Still very young and improving all the time.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

He is 25. That's hardly very young.