Coaching Ticket

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

R-Dog
Graduate

Coaching Ticket

Post by R-Dog »

Does anyone else think we need to add some outside voices/ideas to our coaching ticket.

Kurt coming back has had a significant influence on our defense, but the rest of the coaching team have been round the Leinster set up for quite some time.

Leo is a long time back from Lecister now. Are he or Dempsey really able to bring fresh ideas to the table.

Players always come back from Lions tour more knowledgeable as a result of learning from different players coaches (Drico after seeing Wilkinson on the 2001 Oz Lions tour, Murray post last lions from working with Howley)

We definitely have room for a 2 people

Forwards Coach
Take some Pressure off Leo, working with Scrum coach.
Cheika had Jonno Gibbs so no reason why Leo should feel he cant have a Forwards coach.

(Would love to see us get someone Like Mario Ledesma or What is Richie McCaw up to these days)

and a Skills Coach
Someone to bring a spark to the back line in the way Knoxy did under Cheika

(Jonny wilkinson maybe...)
leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Coaching Ticket

Post by leinsterforever »

O we could bring in actual coaches instead of just big-name ex players
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the backs are playing good stuff by and large

going by our maul and maul defence a forwards or assistant forwards coach would be an idea
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

How about giving Graham Rowntree a shout, if he's still free? Any thoughts?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

riocard911 wrote:How about giving Graham Rowntree a shout, if he's still free? Any thoughts?
Why not? Very good scrum coach. We have Fogarty though?
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Are we not looking for a forwards coach at the moment? Wasn't there an article in the press (I know!) a few months ago where we had been linked to a French forwards coach but he declined the offer?

A replacement for Richie would be nice too, but we seem to be doing reasonably well without one for now.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

We need an experienced forwards coach from, preferably, outside the Irish system.

I wasn't, initially, happy with the job Fogs was doing with the scrum, but that was premature of me I think.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The horse has bolted for the moment but Nathan Hines might be worth keeping an eye on.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

John Plumtree for the forwards and in particular the maul if we're doing fantasy coaching tickets.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Jamie Cudmore player/coach
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:Jamie Cudmore player/coach
French tutor and covert ops instructor.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

We need a "how to score from 5m out" coach.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Keith wrote:We need a "how to score from 5m out" coach.

Wonder if that's the role they offered Shane Jennings when he retired.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

If we don't have confidence in Leo then he should go. If we do then he should be backed to assemble the team he thinks will bring success.

I don't think that he should have been given the role in the first place but as he has I think we should back him. Progress is slowly but surely being made. I hope that he knows he needs a better coaching ticket. If it is forced on him rather than lead by him then I think the writing is on the wall.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I actually think that the team (coaching team) have done rather well. To my mind the only disastrous, unacceptable performances were the games against Wasps. Those 2 matches aside, young players are being given a shot and we're playing better rugby than we did last year. I completely agree that we need to work on our maul but I'd back Leo to right that eventually.

If Leo does request we bring in someone then great but I think the ticket are actually going relatively well atm.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Sounds like a job for Big Ollie Le Roux
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Gotta say, I'm hugely positive about Leo, after being very negative initially around the appointment.
As someone said above, Wasps away has been the only big negative, and we've shown some nice shape and brought some young guys through well.
Bath home was the most pleasurable game I've seen in a while!

A forwards coach is a must though. Or specifically a maul coach. Used to be a huge part of our arsenal and with Mike Mac, Ruddock and Dev it should still be.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

cormac wrote:
Sounds like a job for Big Ollie Le Roux
He said 5m, not 2m
Anyone But New Zealand
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote:We need an experienced forwards coach from, preferably, outside the Irish system.

I wasn't, initially, happy with the job Fogs was doing with the scrum, but that was premature of me I think.
Naka Drotske retired from coaching the Cheetahs last season "to pursue other business interests". He was a Free State player for the best part of his playing career [when he was in the SA team] and coached Free State teams for the guts of a decade, both in the Currie Cup and the Cheetahs in Super Rugby. I get the feeling that he was sort of worn down by his attachment to the club and it could be that he saw a need to step away from the game and recharge his batteries, or it could be a more permanent move.

Given his experience, his character and the particular strengths of South African rugby [lineout/maul/scrum] and the teams he coached, I think that he'd make an excellent addition to the coaching staff. His particular coaching strengths would seem to tie into our particular weaknesses. He played up in London Irish for a couple of years after his international career, so he's not totally unfamiliar with NH rugby, although obviously a lot has changed in the last decade.

The Rand is really weak at the moment [it hit a record low last month] so obviously that could have a part to play in making a move to the Eurozone attractive.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Cianostays wrote:I actually think that the team (coaching team) have done rather well. To my mind the only disastrous, unacceptable performances were the games against Wasps. Those 2 matches aside, young players are being given a shot and we're playing better rugby than we did last year. I completely agree that we need to work on our maul but I'd back Leo to right that eventually.

If Leo does request we bring in someone then great but I think the ticket are actually going relatively well atm.
In terms of games the 2 Wasps games were a proper disaster IMO. Losing the second one was no big deal, but the manner of the loss hurt (even though we had nothing to play for etc). Other than that I've been fairly happy overall with everything other than our maul, which has been a bloody shambles for 2 seasons now. Although I do think recent performances have shown that we need someone in midfield who will sit a few guys down and make space outside him. Unless we sign someone else we might need to see more from a smaller back line for the international windows next season as we looked pretty toothless against Zebre for a good while after Te'o went off.