Post by goreyguy »

Loosehead
Cian Healy[2019] Central Contract
Jack McGrath[2019]
Peter Dooley[2017]
Ed Byrne[2016]
Ian Hirst[2016]

Andrew Porter[Academy]

Would be very surprised if Hirst was here next season, Ed Byrne contract status unclear but would be surprised if he left. Porter joining the academy.

Hooker
James Tracy[2018]
Richardt Strauss[2017]
Sean Cronin[2017]
Bryan Byrne[2016]
Sean McNulty[Academy]

Bryan Byrne status unclear but would be surprised if he left. No player expected to join academy.

Tighthead
Tadhg Furlong[2018]
Michael Bent[2018]
Mike Ross[2017]
Royce Burke Flynn[2016]
Oisin Heffernan[Academy]
Jeremy Loughman[Academy]

Moore gone, Burke Flynn future unclear. Loughman expected to move full time to TH. No player expected to join academy.

Second Row
Ross Molony[2018]
Mike McCarthy[2017]
Devin Toner[2017]
Mick Kearney[2017]
Ian Nagle[2017]
Tadhg Beirne[2016]
Gavin Thornbury[2016]
Tom Denton[2016]
Hayden Triggs[2016]

David O'Connor[Academy]
James Ryan[Academy]

Future of Beirne, Thornbury, Denton & Triggs unclear, assume at most one will stay on. James Ryan joining the academy.

Backrow
Sean O'Brien[2019] Central Contract
Rhys Ruddock[2018]
Josh Van Der Flier[2018]
Dominic Ryan[2017]
Jamie Heaslip[2017] Central Contract
Jordi Murphy[2017]
Jack Conan[2017]
Dan Leavy[2017]
Peadar Timmins[Academy]
Josh Murphy[Academy]

No one out of contract but rumours abound a player will be moving to Ulster. Expect two players to join academy.

Scrumhalf
Luke McGrath[2017]
Isaac Boss[2016]
Eoin Reddan[2016]

Nick McCarthy[Academy]
Charlie Rock[Academy]

Rumours of project SH coming in, Assume one of Reddan/Boss will stick around but unclear. No one expected to join the academy.

Outhalf
Jonathan Sexton[2019]
Cathal Marsh[2018]
Ross Byrne[Academy]
Joey Carberry[Academy]

Madigan gone, no one expected to join the academy.

Centre
Robbie Henshaw[2019] Central Contract
Gary Ringrose[2018]
Noel Reid[2017]
Tom Daly[2017]
Colm O'Shea[2016]
Steve Crosbie[2016]
Tom Farrell[2016]

Harrison Brewer[Academy]

Teo gone, O'Shea, Crosbie and Farrell's futures are unclear. Expect one or two players to join academy.

Back Three
Rob Kearney[2018] Central Contract
Dave Kearney[2018]
Isa Nacewa[2017]
Zane Kirchner[2017]
Fergus McFadden[2017]
Luke Fitzgerald[2017]
Adam Byrne[2017]
Darragh Fanning[2016]
Mick McGrath[2016]
Billy Dardis[2016]

Cian Kelleher[Academy]
Ian Fitzpatrick[Academy]
Rory O'Loughlin[Academy]

Fanning, McGrath & Dardis's futures are unclear, expect 1 or 2 players to join academy.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster Squad 2016/2017

Post by neiliog93 »

Reddan and Boss both out of contract at end of season but neither announced as a renewal as part of the big announcement the other day. There may be more to come of course. Hopefully both are gone.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Just to throw in my own summary depth chart of what we have confirmed and what we may need for senior squad only:

Loosehead: McGrath, Healy, E.Byrne, Dooley
Hooker: Strauss, Cronin, Tracy, B.Byrne
Tighthead: Ross, Furlong, Bent
Lock: Toner, McCarthy, M.Kearney, Nagle, Molony
Back-Row: O'Brien, Ruddock, Heaslip, Murphy, Conan, Van Der Flier, Leavy, Dom Ryan
Scrum-Half: L.McGrath
Out-Half: Sexton, Marsh
Centre: Henshaw, Ringrose, Reid, Daly
Back-Three: Nacewa, Fitzgerald, R.Kearney, D.Kearney, McFadden, Kirchner, A.Byrne

Of unconfirmed I expect to see: Dundon, Hirst, Beirne, Denton, Thornburry, T.Ryan, Boss, O'Shea, M.McGrath all definitely gone along with the confirmed departures of Madigan, Te'o and Moore . Probably not going to see Crosbie, Farrell & Dardis promoted from the academy at this point, but I could see all three being targets of both Munster and Ulster.

Of the unconfirmed players not listed above,

It's possible Burke Flynn could be tighthead cover and retained if we've nothing lined up.

We should definitely be in the market for as good a NIQ lock as we can possibly get, so Triggs not being confirmed is a good thing, but if we don't find one I can see him get another year extension.

I think Reddan may get 1 more year, there'll definitely be at least one signing at 9, possibly two a project player and an Irish qualified player (Given our situation at 10, we could do a lot worse than bring James Hart back, even though he has a year to run on his contract - he's fallen out of favour..so might get released, but good enough? other option Cooney).

All in all though, I'm happy with how the squad is being "rebuilt", a focus on youth and some really exciting players as well as seasoned pro's. The latest IRFU f%~k up was with Moore which cost us dearly, Burke-Flynn might be his replacement with Bent now considered more of a tight head...unbelievable, but other than that, it's looking good. Hopefully the above squad will have a couple more additions: 2 scrum halves (a NIQ project and one from Reddan, Cooney and Hart), and a top class NIQ Lock (Triggs if we can't find anyone)

It's certainly not the fearsome squad of depth it once was, but a lot of dead wood being shifted out and building up with exciting young talent and hopefully keep building on that over the years, glaring omissions all over the backline of quality beyond first choice. Had we have had Moore and a really good lock signing, the pack would be perfect, but the backs is a complete start from scratch exercise in my opinion. New generation of scrum halves (including L.McGrath), outhalf (hopefully Ross Byrne) and wings (hopefully Kelleher, A.Byrne + some more)
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Hart, who has repeatedly turned Leinster down and been a billy bigbollix about it from what I've heard, is going to Racing
I have Bumbleflex
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Dave Cahill wrote:Hart, who has repeatedly turned Leinster down and been a billy bigbollix about it from what I've heard, is going to Racing
I remember reading a really ungracious interview with him where he was very snotty-nosed about Ireland and rugby in Ireland, strongly emphasising he felt more French (the latter part of which is fine). Bit arrogant, really.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

If it's this interview http://the42.ie/1148805 then i suggest you re read it.

Charicterising it the way you have is what trevor hogan would call "borderline disgraceful"
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

He has no interest in returning here from what i've read, he hasn't exactly had a stellar season or two recently so it's odd Racing are so interested.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Reading that article I was struck by the lack of sensitivity in informing a player he had not made the Academy on the day he received his Leaving results, and compounded by the fact it was done over the phone
Pretty poor management decision.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

All Blacks nil wrote:Reading that article I was struck by the lack of sensitivity in informing a player he had not made the Academy on the day he received his Leaving results, and compounded by the fact it was done over the phone
Pretty poor management decision.
meh he was getting drunk anyway that day
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

johng wrote:If it's this interview http://the42.ie/1148805 then i suggest you re read it.

Charicterising it the way you have is what trevor hogan would call "borderline disgraceful"
No, it wasn't that interview. He obviously wasn't dealt with kindly and has a bit of a chip on the shoulder.