James Ryan

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: James Ryan

Post by sunshiner1 »

why? he is a huge personality & leader.
i'd be shocked if he played this season but hopeful he'd make his debut next season, either during the November internationals or during the 6 nations.
Because people are making him out to be the second coming. Don't get me wrong I want him to succeed but I think incremental progress and trying to keep the hype train in the station is the way to go for a while.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

sunshiner1 wrote:
i'd be shocked if he played this season but hopeful he'd make his debut next season, either during the November internationals or during the 6 nations.
Because people are making him out to be the second coming. Don't get me wrong I want him to succeed but I think incremental progress and trying to keep the hype train in the station is the way to go for a while.
its no different when to Garry Ringrose.. apart from Ringrose had probably more hype.. Ryan will likely have a slower introduction than him but not much slower I hope.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:
worst comes to worst he can play fullback for Munster
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Whatever about this season, I really don't see Ryan being held back. I'd say he'll be an important player for us next season.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

simonokeeffe wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Mick Kearney, sure he's 25 :roll:
you'd be wrong.
there's a rumour he's 25
Seeing as nobody else will clarify for you Simon - he'll be 25 in 24 days, 11 hours and 8 minutes fom now (04.03.16 @ 12:51)
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

James Ryan wins both Irish Rugby Players [formerly IRUPA] awards.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3893430
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

At the risk of going full hyperbole, have we seen an Irish second row as talented as Ryan before?

It will be a few season before he can be considered the best Irish lock of all time but for the here and now on a skills and ability basis, has there been better?

He possesses both footwork and raw power of which he uses both to beat defenders.

He is an excellent lineout option.

His tackles are usually minimum in the high teens and the most I've ever seen him miss in a game is 2.

He can cover tight and loose side in the scrum.

He has phenomenal hands and real ability to offload post contact

His performance doesn't dip at any stage between minute 1 and 80

In Ireland we have seen some great second rows but I cannot think of any as rounded as him
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:At the risk of going full hyperbole, have we seen an Irish second row as talented as Ryan before?

It will be a few season before he can be considered the best Irish lock of all time but for the here and now on a skills and ability basis, has there been better?

He possesses both footwork and raw power of which he uses both to beat defenders.

He is an excellent lineout option.

His tackles are usually minimum in the high teens and the most I've ever seen him miss in a game is 2.

He can cover tight and loose side in the scrum.

He has phenomenal hands and real ability to offload post contact

His performance doesn't dip at any stage between minute 1 and 80

In Ireland we have seen some great second rows but I cannot think of any as rounded as him
Mal O'Kelley and Bill McBride were great SRs but Ryan already looks to be at another level.
Hyperbola won't be good enough to describe him in the future.
They're going have to invent a new word, "Ryanesque" maybe.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

What if James Ryan's twin brother had been identical...
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

mildlyinterested wrote:What if James Ryan's twin brother had been identical...
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

It's hard to avoid hyperbole with him but he genuinely is that good. I don't think he's ever played a game where he wasn't one of our best players. Consistently gets well over 10 in both the carrying/tackle stats. Against Saracens, he made 22 carries and 20 tackles, in a game as physical as that was that's ridiculous. He does everything you want from a lock, his performance levels never really dip.

As young as he is, he'd definitely be my preferred option for Ireland captain after (and maybe even during, Best isn't in the top 2 hookers) the world cup.

Like I said, hyperbole is easy but other than BOD I've never seen anyone remotely as good play for Ireland.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

For me he is already up there with POC and I am looking forward to seeing him getting his offloading game going as well. Played a lot of his underage rugby at 8.

When he is Captain his temperament and leadership qualities will be recognized to have a value as special as his skill set and work ethic. Potentially a Captain on a par with POC who is the best I have seen since the mid-70s with Ciaran FitzGerald also worthy of mention as a leader of men.