Warriors v Leinster Friday 19.35 Sky

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: Warriors v Leinster Friday 19.35 Sky

Post by Dexter »

Gearzbox2 wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Dreadful second half. Marsh really went downhill fast there after a good first half. Lots of really frustrating mistakes by the backs in particular. Ringrose dropping the ball, the missed kicks to tough, Isa missing from in front of the posts...all very sloppy and very annoying when you think of how inexperienced our pack were but actually did very well.

Tracy was superb, I was a bit worried he might be a flash in the pan but he looks like the real deal. Mick Kearney was good, as were Dippy and Jordi. Luke played well, particularly in the first half, but apart from himself and Zane I thought the backs were generally disappointing. I know Zane missed touch badly at one stage but he's been like a different player since Christmas.

One big positive was the effort in defence from a lot of the guys I just mentioned, especially Tracy and Luke. I'd add Ben as well although thought he was quiet in attack.

Glasgow's defence was also brilliant. As disappointed as I was with the mistakes, they were desperate for the win and it showed. Fair play to them for toughing it out. Really liked the way Townsend spoke during the game as well, no excuses and lots of belief in his players, great attitude.
Some were good but mixed it with being totally brainless
Tracy missed at least 3 tackles I saw, Dippy looks for contact instead of holding his feet and going for the space
Luke looks lost after 3 phases and struggled to control pack
Teo was utter poo, in attack and D
I'm actually struggling to see if I was watching the same match as you....
Yeah, must have been another game....
Dont Panic!
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

At least you agree
Clueless
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Gearzbox2 wrote:At least you agree
Clueless
At least we have you here to set us right. Thanks :D
Dont Panic!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

cwebber82 wrote:
alanair wrote:Reid at 10 should be revisited for next season if we are not allowed sign a 10.
Please.... Reid FFs ???!!!
Reid at 10 is better than Marsh at 10.

I really can't see where Marsh is better than Reid in any aspect. Even Marsh' restarts are dreadful.[/quote]

He mans up and makes his tackles???
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I know the Edinburgh rumours mean it's unlikely to happen, but that's the kind of game Crosbie could win for us next season if given the chance. He'd have done a better job of bringing the outside backs into the game and could have stepped in for Marsh when his game fell apart.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A good few commentators here not giving sufficent credit to Glasgow defence and the man with the whistle. Glasgow's second-half tackling superb, but a) interference with McGrath and b) consistent offside, make defence much easier when referee won't blow whistle.

No doubt, some of our key players didn't function, notably our OH, but their time in possession , coupled with the extraordinary play of Nakarawa, made that a very difficult away game. Glad to keep line intact. Glad to get LBP.

Really impressed with front-row all evening. Leavy put in a hardworking performance in conditions which didnt suit his skills and Kearney kept at until his departure. Missed opportunities in first half were expensive but Warriors were worthy winners and our guys will learn a lot from the experience and the analysis of it on Monday
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
cwebber82 wrote:
alanair wrote:Reid at 10 should be revisited for next season if we are not allowed sign a 10.
Please.... Reid FFs ???!!!
Reid at 10 is better than Marsh at 10.

I really can't see where Marsh is better than Reid in any aspect. Even Marsh' restarts are dreadful.
He mans up and makes his tackles???[/quote]

Im sorry but I fail to see what relevance it is to a Professional Club like Leinster , who apparently have ambitions to win silverware, that one poor choice is better than another poor choice ... we really should be aiming a lot higher than that
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote:A good few commentators here not giving sufficent credit to Glasgow defence and the man with the whistle. Glasgow's second-half tackling superb, but a) interference with McGrath and b) consistent offside, make defence much easier when referee won't blow whistle.

No doubt, some of our key players didn't function, notably our OH, but their time in possession , coupled with the extraordinary play of Nakarawa, made that a very difficult away game. Glad to keep line intact. Glad to get LBP.

Really impressed with front-row all evening. Leavy put in a hardworking performance in conditions which didnt suit his skills and Kearney kept at until his departure. Missed opportunities in first half were expensive but Warriors were worthy winners and our guys will learn a lot from the experience and the analysis of it on Monday
Thought Leavy was unlucky with his support lines. He was in great positions at times but the ball carrier went the wrong way. On the negative side, thought he'd got blown away too easily at the breakdown.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Sounds like a frustrating performance but the result is no disaster. Top 2 is all that matters and we're now 5pts clear of Scarlets with 5 games to go, 3 of which are at home. Still a very, very good position to be in.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Gearzbox2 wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Dreadful second half. Marsh really went downhill fast there after a good first half. Lots of really frustrating mistakes by the backs in particular. Ringrose dropping the ball, the missed kicks to tough, Isa missing from in front of the posts...all very sloppy and very annoying when you think of how inexperienced our pack were but actually did very well.

Tracy was superb, I was a bit worried he might be a flash in the pan but he looks like the real deal. Mick Kearney was good, as were Dippy and Jordi. Luke played well, particularly in the first half, but apart from himself and Zane I thought the backs were generally disappointing. I know Zane missed touch badly at one stage but he's been like a different player since Christmas.

One big positive was the effort in defence from a lot of the guys I just mentioned, especially Tracy and Luke. I'd add Ben as well although thought he was quiet in attack.

Glasgow's defence was also brilliant. As disappointed as I was with the mistakes, they were desperate for the win and it showed. Fair play to them for toughing it out. Really liked the way Townsend spoke during the game as well, no excuses and lots of belief in his players, great attitude.
Some were good but mixed it with being totally brainless
Tracy missed at least 3 tackles I saw, Dippy looks for contact instead of holding his feet and going for the space
Luke looks lost after 3 phases and struggled to control pack
Teo was utter poo, in attack and D
I'm actually struggling to see if I was watching the same match as you....
Tracy and McGrath were our two best players for me. Agree to some extent on Teo though. He's a bit of a one trick pony in attack (although it is often an effective trick) and seems to struggle passing further than 10m, and can be dodgy in defense if players aren't running straight in to him
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

alanair wrote: ...

Im sorry but I fail to see what relevance it is to a Professional Club like Leinster , who apparently have ambitions to win silverware, that one poor choice is better than another poor choice ... we really should be aiming a lot higher than that
Yup you're right, just highlighting that Reid just doesn't have it, he just won't man up, he falls off and hides from tackles. For me Marsh at least has a bit of attitude, but I agree that he doesn't look like he has the other side of the game, managing a non dominant pack. I also don't like the way Marsh shapes up when passing the ball, he really telegraphs his intentions.

Wasn't helped tonight with McGraths passing, why can't scrummies pass off the deck any more? Pick it up, wind it up then pass FFS it takes aaaaaages.
Paulie Walnuts
Learner

Post by Paulie Walnuts »

We were so bright in the first half and so predictable in the second half. In the second half we went with one up runners most of the time which Glasgow lapped up. We missed someone with the smarts to realise we needed to go wide - we made it too easy for Glasgow to read us. I thought Clancy pinged us whenever he got half a chance to do so - and seemed to ignore the other side!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Warriors v Leinster Friday 19.35 Sky

Post by artaneboy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:A good few commentators here not giving sufficent credit to Glasgow defence and the man with the whistle. Glasgow's second-half tackling superb, but a) interference with McGrath and b) consistent offside, make defence much easier when referee won't blow whistle.

Best analysis of the match on here to date. I attended last night and it was obvious that Glasgow were going balls out got the win. Great atmosphere.

Clancy was as mercurial and ineffable in his decisions as ever- and that's bad!

Missed kicks and 'try ruining' pass aside, I didn't think Marsh was dreadful, just hadn't the power (almost literally) to break down or through a well organised offside defence.

He is just our third string OH and for an away game of this magnitude, it was probably a step too far to ask him to dominate the position. Particularly when other senior players in the three quarters were a bit off. Isa was quiet- as was Teo. For once it was probably lost in the backs really.

Disappointing but in the circs, I'll take the bonus point.

By the way the pitch was even worse than it looked on TV...
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

I see some gXXchytes are missing Madigan already and he ain't even gone. He has got the best deal ever and deserves it all.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Raydollard wrote:I see some gXXchytes are missing Madigan already and he ain't even gone. He has got the best deal ever and deserves it all.
Are we? We are missing a 10 who can control the match. I'd expect Madigan to be more capable of it than Marsh- but he hadn't demonstrated it too often either in a Leinster or an Ireland shirt.

Best of luck to Ian in Bordeaux. I really hope it works out for him and he achieves his potential. But the idea that Leinster is failing HIM is risible.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Really committed and hungry performance from Glasgow and a strangely subdued and error ridden one from us. Very frustrating.
A proud Winsome Fluter
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Glasgow were very very good and well worth their win. I think we did well to come away with a losing bonus point.

I wont miss them if they don't make the play-offs.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Marsh lost us that game, simple as that, though that effin disgrace of a pitch didnt help matters either

Glasgow did improve their defence massively in second half but we made a ridiculous amount of line breaks and didnt finish any of them off

Clancy was cack but Teo was a lucky boy to stay on the pitch in the first half so it cuts both ways a bit
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

simonokeeffe wrote:Marsh lost us that game, simple as that, though that effin disgrace of a pitch didnt help matters either

Glasgow did improve their defence massively in second half but we made a ridiculous amount of line breaks and didnt finish any of them off

Clancy was cack but Teo was a lucky boy to stay on the pitch in the first half so it cuts both ways a bit
While I agree he was really poor in 2nd half, I think that's harsh. There were plenty of poor decisions and mistakes from elsewhere and Marsh had a good opening 40 bar the miss pass error.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

What did Te'o do?