Connacht vs Leinster 26th March K/O @ 17:15

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Connacht vs Leinster 26th March K/O @ 17:15

Post by Cianostays »

Really big game and would be a huge win for us. A tough ask though and a lbp wouldn't be disastrous.

1-15: Healy, Strauss, Ross*, Moloney, Kearney, Ruddock, VDF, Jordi, McGrath, Madigan, Isa, T'eo, Ringrose, Ferg, Kirchner.

16-23: Cronin, Dooley, Furlong, Triggs, Leavy, Reddan, Marsh, Dave K

* I've picked Ross on the basis that he missed the first 2 test matches in the Six Nations and, with no European knock out rugby coming up, we may be able to pick him as a result.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Connacht vs Leinster 26th March K/O @ 17:15

Post by Oldschool »

A draw with try BP for both teams would do the job nicely.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

I find it amazing that this game hasn't sold out yet
Still getting emails from Connacht rugby about fit available
wprathead
Bookworm

Post by wprathead »

Clan Terrace, Main Stand and Enclosed Stand all sold out few weeks back
They've extended behind the goals hence why still tickets available
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

wprathead wrote:Clan Terrace, Main Stand and Enclosed Stand all sold out few weeks back
They've extended behind the goals hence why still tickets available
I hope they are well built considering the weather that's to come in at the weekend.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

That'd be a tasty enough side alright.

Really looking forward to this game, hope it stays dry.

As an aside, did anyone notice Healy at the weekend? Thought he looked way leaner than he had done previously. Maybe it was the jersey, but didn't seem to be as pumped up as previously. Wonder is that on purpose. Earlier in the year he looked like someone had blown him up (phrasing) before kickoff.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Cianostays wrote:* I've picked Ross on the basis that he missed the first 2 test matches in the Six Nations and, with no European knock out rugby coming up, we may be able to pick him as a result.
What's Moore's status? I thought he was back training?
May as well get the most out of him before we send him to Coventry.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote:That'd be a tasty enough side alright.

Really looking forward to this game, hope it stays dry.

As an aside, did anyone notice Healy at the weekend? Thought he looked way leaner than he had done previously. Maybe it was the jersey, but didn't seem to be as pumped up as previously. Wonder is that on purpose. Earlier in the year he looked like someone had blown him up (phrasing) before kickoff.
He's been getting stick in recent months for being a glorified gym monkey. Probably reckons he needs to prove himself first and foremost as a rugby player, as in one of the world's leading - and not to be forgotten, highest paid - loose head props. Here's hoping he succeeds in the upcoming Leinster matches.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Not sure if it's common knowledge but Nigel Owens is reffin this one. I was afraid it was going to be Fitzgibbon in which case I wasn't going to bother going.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

curates_egg wrote:
Cianostays wrote:* I've picked Ross on the basis that he missed the first 2 test matches in the Six Nations and, with no European knock out rugby coming up, we may be able to pick him as a result.
he was ruled out for 6-8 weeks end of January, Id hazard a guess Edinburgh in RDS mid April
BUT Ross is still first choice and Furlong is going well so am not sure theres much opportunity for him
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

simonokeeffe wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
he was ruled out for 6-8 weeks end of January, Id hazard a guess Edinburgh in RDS mid April
BUT Ross is still first choice and Furlong is going well so am not sure theres much opportunity for him
Ross is not going to play this weekend though being realistic.
As for Furlong, I was very enthusiastic earlier on in the season but less so now. He's clearly a very dynamic tighthead but I'm not convinced by his scrummaging and he seems to have the propensity to do stupid stuff. Clearly, he was still rated behind Nathan White with the Irish set-up. Given the "impact" White had when he came on, I am not sure how that reflects on him. Meanwhile, Moore has been second choice with Ireland when fit since the 2014 6 Nations.
Moore is gone but we may as well get the most out of him while we are still paying his salary.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Healy Strauss Furlong
Molony Kearney
Ruddock Murphy VDF

McGrath Madigan
Te'o Ringrose
Kearney Kirchner Nacewa

Cronin, Dooley, Bent, Triggs, Ryan, Reddan, Marsh, McFadden
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Word on the street that Luke Fitz mght be available for this :shock: . Also, talk of CJ Stander playing for Munster on Friday in which case you'd never know who we might get back.

Edit: Jock Conans season is over after breaking his 'other' foot :(
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

curates_egg wrote: Ross is not going to play this weekend though being realistic.
As for Furlong, I was very enthusiastic earlier on in the season but less so now. He's clearly a very dynamic tighthead but I'm not convinced by his scrummaging and he seems to have the propensity to do stupid stuff. Clearly, he was still rated behind Nathan White with the Irish set-up. Given the "impact" White had when he came on, I am not sure how that reflects on him. Meanwhile, Moore has been second choice with Ireland when fit since the 2014 6 Nations.
Moore is gone but we may as well get the most out of him while we are still paying his salary.
Ross has the famous engine that needs to be kept turning over, and we're better off starting him than keeping him on the bench, so he'll probably be on the bench now after me saying that
Think logic was White was the better scrummager and we needed the setpiece solidity/platform/best chance at that but Furlong offers much more around the park

I rate Moore highly but he is not the fastest back from injury but especially back to match fitness/sharpness
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I did notice that. I also noticed how bad he was out there on the pitch. He needs a big performance or two otherwise I could see him not being on the plane to South Africa.

Connacht have had three weeks rest and have gotten a rake of players back from injury. I'd imagine they'll be targeting this game in a big way, firstly to lay down a marker for the Pro 12 play-offs and also to keep us in second place. I can imagine this being a humdinger.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Luke Fitz training albeit with a knee bandage.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Mick Kearney took a bang against Glasgú and was subbed. Any word if he's okay for the match in Galway?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Word on the street that Luke Fitz mght be available for this :shock: . Also, talk of CJ Stander playing for Munster on Friday in which case you'd never know who we might get back.

Edit: Jock Conans season is over after breaking his 'other' foot :(
Odds on this will be a week too soon for Luke.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

sunshiner1 wrote:
I did notice that. I also noticed how bad he was out there on the pitch. He needs a big performance or two otherwise I could see him not being on the plane to South Africa.
Bit harsh! What did he do in his 12 minutes that was so bad?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Suggestions of a strong team for Saturday are logical and essential. Last five games with two difficult away local derbies against Connacht and Ulster.

Would love to see the following starters (and why):
1. Healy - Jack McG has put 2 months continuous work into Ireland & needs a break;
2. Strauss - they will attack our line-out unless it is very accurate & we need maul;
3. Ross - our scrum must be secure & Lam has Buckley primed to attack Furlong;
4. Molony - really secure in line-out and the heartbeat of younger Leinster forwards;
5. Toner - Dev has had a tough campaign but has unique skills & is untouchable;
6. Ruddock - without Jamie we need leaders & hardness to combat Muldoon influence
7. JVDF - rested but anxious to prove it wasn't flash in the pan & the key connector;
8. Leavy - Jordi isn't playing well enough to risk; Rhys to 8 on our scrum;
9. McGrath - great opportunity against Marmion & confidence boost from Leo;
10. Mads - last week proved the size of the gap; black & white game plan, no options;
11. Luke - appetite, execution and inspiration to those around him;
12, Te'o - hard-nosed and physical against Bundee Aki but must offload outwards;
13. Ringrose - enough said, but ensure he gets ball early;
14. Isa - captaincy & leadership are key and he is essential for those elements;
15. Zane K - exhibiting his international skills more often, kicking strengths huge.

Bench
16. Cronin; 17. Dooley; 18. Furlong; 19. Triggs; 20. Murphy; 21. Reddan; 22. Sexton; 23. McFadden

Few easy choices for Leo, Kurt and Girv. Temptation is to give internationals a rest now, but a loss to Connacht will pervade the Squad for at least three weeks and creat the risk that Munster would gain confidence for the Aviva game. Win this week and the "invulnerable" sign goes up outside Aviva, regardless of who we select.

Huge weekend, regardless of selection!