Leinster v Munster Saturday 5.30 Aviva

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Munster Saturday 5.30 Aviva

Post by leinsterforever »

BlueWheels wrote:
Oldschool wrote: Kirchner didn't protect any possession he got and kicked poorly.
You left out "can't tackle" ... in fact his best move of the game was when he departed the field to allow Jack McG to return.
Ha, Kirchner gets a lot of stick. He's not nearly as bad a defender as Geordan Murphy was
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Fairly surprised at number of positive comments on Furlong's scrummaging. Have a look again at one particular scrum on half-way at about 39 mins, when they were down to 14 (Copeland in bin) and we didn't move the 7-man pack an inch. If we scrummed like Connacht ( attacking key opposition scrums), we'ed have had a penalty to kick or go for the corner, with potential sickener of 10 point swing against the man in the bin.

To me Furlong gets in and gets comfortable on that one, instead of working his buns off to capitalise on Dave O'Callaghan being in the row with no No 8 latched on. That's how you earn your reputation, not by making a couple of yards against a wing or out-half tackle in broken play.

More to do Tadgh and its in your own hands.
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

leinsterforever wrote:
BlueWheels wrote:
Oldschool wrote: Kirchner didn't protect any possession he got and kicked poorly.
You left out "can't tackle" ... in fact his best move of the game was when he departed the field to allow Jack McG to return.
Ha, Kirchner gets a lot of stick. He's not nearly as bad a defender as Geordan Murphy was
Didn't know Geordan Murphy was playing on Saturday ................ :D :D :D

Although I suppose it could be said "neither was Kirchner" :lol: :lol: :lol:
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

23 year old prop not the finished product yet, shock horror. Same applies for Luke McG. Both should start remaining games as both have talent and will only improve with more experience.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Whatever about Teo's attacking threat (he really needs to work on long passing), his work at the end of the game was brilliant. Really putting his body on the line for the cause, unlike Madser last week.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

goreyguy wrote:23 year old prop not the finished product yet, shock horror. Same applies for Luke McG. Both should start remaining games as both have talent and will only improve with more experience.
I don't think starting a guy in some of the most important games of the season for those reasons is credible.
I'd rotate McGrath and Reddan on merit, but Ross has to start the big games at TH.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Oof, just watched the first half again (didn't bother with second :P ), Kirchner was actually worse than some people on here are alluding to...passing so bad, got turned over at least 3 if not 4 times, he was actually really, really bad. I didn't notice it as much in real time. Dave Kearneys only cameo in the whole game was falling over his own line under no pressure then knocking on... we're very badly off in the back three. I hope next season is Adam Byrnes break through year, with Nacewa getting to games with his free bus pass, Luke having a TV installed in the physios office to watch games, McFadden and Dave pretty average players, good at pro12 but not really up to much higher, Rob Kearney being out of form and injury prone, there's an impending long term problem there .. we're already using two NIQ spots in the back three and it's one of the most limited areas of our squad.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:Whatever about Teo's attacking threat (he really needs to work on long passing), his work at the end of the game was brilliant. Really putting his body on the line for the cause, unlike Madser last week.
Nobody could doubt his commitment. However, what you describe as "putting his body on the line", others might legitimately describe as illegal tackling, which we were maybe fortunate didn't cost us the match (plenty of Munster fans would argue his tackle in the final play was both a penalty and a yellow).
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

wixfjord wrote:
goreyguy wrote:23 year old prop not the finished product yet, shock horror. Same applies for Luke McG. Both should start remaining games as both have talent and will only improve with more experience.
I don't think starting a guy in some of the most important games of the season for those reasons is credible.
I'd rotate McGrath and Reddan on merit, but Ross has to start the big games at TH.

Tighthead props need games to improve. Findlay Bealham is a great example of that. Ulster let him go and when he first started playing for Connacht he was conceding a lot of penalties and didn't look great. They kept playing him and he has kept on improving and now getting capped for Ireland.

Furlong needs a few seasons of constant rugby. I'm not sure what the story is with academy players playing UBL rugby but it would help props in particular to have regular games.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

curates_egg wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Whatever about Teo's attacking threat (he really needs to work on long passing), his work at the end of the game was brilliant. Really putting his body on the line for the cause, unlike Madser last week.
Nobody could doubt his commitment. However, what you describe as "putting his body on the line", others might legitimately describe as illegal tackling, which we were maybe fortunate didn't cost us the match (plenty of Munster fans would argue his tackle in the final play was both a penalty and a yellow).
Jeez- was he blown on it? :roll: No- so he did it well- and actually won us the match. Because if he hadn't done it as he did, Kilcoyne would likely have scored and we would have lost.

Just like BOD illegally no-arms tackled Roussow and dropped him in the Lions second test against SA in 2009. Was it legal- no way. Both were concussed- Roussow went off and O'Driscoll can't remember the last 10 minutes. Saved a likely try though...

Ben's tackle wasn't anywhere near as dangerous- but it was likely against the laws. I'm still glad he made the decision.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

artaneboy wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Jeez- was he blown on it? :roll: No- so he did it well- and actually won us the match. Because if he hadn't done it as he did, Kilcoyne would likely have scored and we would have lost.

Just like BOD illegally no-arms tackled Roussow and dropped him in the Lions second test against SA in 2009. Was it legal- no way. Both were concussed- Roussow went off and O'Driscoll can't remember the last 10 minutes. Saved a likely try though...

Ben's tackle wasn't anywhere near as dangerous- but it was likely against the laws. I'm still glad he made the decision.
+1
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

I said I'd wait a few days for the dust to settle
I backed Cronin big time during the week ( and Furlong) but to pin all the problems of the lineout are ridiculous, looked to me like the whole group didn't have a clue and problems lied elsewhere but his tackle on Holland was very poor
Furlong seemed to take it easy in thy scrum at times when it was on to attack
Disjointed performance All round and lucky to get the win
Poor aul Church looks like he's forgotten how to play
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote:
He made 4 dominant tackles in about two minutes in the 79th minute, one of which won us the game. Brilliant desire and willingness to get up and go again.
I think it's a little bit rich to be moaning that he could've cost us the match!
Kinger83
Knowledgeable

Post by Kinger83 »

Considering he's leaving at the end of the season I admire his level of commitment to the cause.

You can see how much it meant to him.

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
He made 4 dominant tackles in about two minutes in the 79th minute, one of which won us the game. Brilliant desire and willingness to get up and go again.
I think it's a little bit rich to be moaning that he could've cost us the match!
I think his commitment is really impressive and I am certainly not moaning!? I'm still hoarse from roaring my approval.
I just think it is fair enough to observe that another ref might not have looked so kindly on his technique: it was illegal; we got away with it and won and we are all happy.
It's fair to say we won't have anyone on a physical par with him for next season at the very least, and that will be one of the various gaps we will have. He is full of beans in both attack and defence but it is fair to say he is still very raw technically in both.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Kinger83 wrote:Considering he's leaving at the end of the season I admire his level of commitment to the cause.

Wtf is Jack up to??? actually better off not knowing..
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

olaf the fat wrote:
Kinger83 wrote:Considering he's leaving at the end of the season I admire his level of commitment to the cause.

Tis only common courtesy to give the guy a reach-around in such circumstances.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlcuPNv8Od8
NSFW
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

olaf the fat wrote:

Teaching hum how to tackle?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

telling Ben how tough he'd look if he also had an RUC moustache?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:telling Ben how tough he'd look if he also had an RUC moustache?
WTF is an "RUC moustache"? :lol:
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"