Post by the spoofer »

goreyguy wrote:it's Treviso.

If he can't play well against them..
*** Edited by mod ***
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Treviso, Sat 15.00

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:Very little mention of how well Jordi Murphy played in this, despite the worries pre-match.
Yeah he was excellent alright. The whole backrow played well.

I still don't think he's remotely a 7 though, and with SOB and JVDF out, we could be goosed.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
goreyguy wrote:it's Treviso.

If he can't play well against them..
But he did play well against them, despite there being worries about him not playing well against them.
which says a lot about peoples expectations when he plays 7, a position he has routinely be shown to be not good enough when facing superior competiton than Treviso. If he has a very good game against Ulster then by all means praise him, but i'm not going to get excited by him playing well against a terrible side.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Very little mention of how well Jordi Murphy played in this, despite the worries pre-match.

I still don't think he's remotely a 7 though, and with SOB and JVDF out, we could be goosed.
With one of the most talented young opensides in the country in the squad, you'd think the answer would be simple.
Is it going to take another few years of attempting to play Jordi at 7 for the coaches to finally realise he isn't one? Similar to Dippy.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Jordi Murphy turned 25 in April

8 seems his best position, but his versatility is useful in lesser league games
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:

No, hes not a seven alright, but hes a good footballer so he can play it by ear somewhat.

Having said that, he did have fulfil one of the sevens key roles really well on saturday in shadowing the ball-carrier.

The Pro12 site's highlights dont do it justice, so I've uploaded the tg4 coverage of the Jack McGrath try - take a look at how many times Murphy involves himself. Takes and gives an offload with Isa, a big carry off the next ruck, gets involved with a further ruck, then comes around the corner for another big carry to set up the ruck that McGrath scores off - really good play. Now, Treviso aren't really at the races, but that kind of work ethic deserves praise - its easier to slack off than work harder when faced with poor opposition.

He takes up a similar position for the Nacewa try and gets a gives a nice pass to put Nacewa over
I have Bumbleflex
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

simonokeeffe wrote:Jordi Murphy turned 25 in April

Yup but if he is out starting 7 against a serious team we are in trouble based on his performances there overall.

That's not being negative, it's being realisitic.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

goreyguy wrote:

Yup but if he is out starting 7 against a serious team we are in trouble based on his performances there overall.

Jordi has put in excellent performances in the 6N. Give the lad a break.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Most particularly in the England match in Lansdowne in 2015, when he started in place of an injured Jamie Heaslip and played his socks off in a head to head v Billy Vunipola.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

riocard911 wrote:Most particularly in the England match in Lansdowne in 2015, when he started in place of an injured Jamie Heaslip and played his socks off in a head to head v Billy Vunipola.
Yup at 8, his position. I've never claimed he isn't a good 8, he is, when on form.

Anyway I'm more concerned about how he plays for Leinster, playing good for Ireland is great and all but the internationals need to show up and do similar for leinster.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:
You can spot their 19 lashing Johnny out of it at the start of the clip too.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

we're 100% in the league with Jordi at starting at 7 this season :mullet 1:

shows our depth too when our 3rd choice 7 has 14 caps for Ireland
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

goreyguy wrote:
riocard911 wrote:Most particularly in the England match in Lansdowne in 2015, when he started in place of an injured Jamie Heaslip and played his socks off in a head to head v Billy Vunipola.
Yup at 8, his position. I've never claimed he isn't a good 8, he is, when on form.

Anyway I'm more concerned about how he plays for Leinster, playing good for Ireland is great and all but the internationals need to show up and do similar for leinster.
When they're picked in their best position of course.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Peg Leg wrote:
goreyguy wrote:

When they're picked in their best position of course.
yup and that isn't 7 for Jordi.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

How come every time I go to watch the replay of Leinster v Treviso on Setanta Ireland they're showing ****ing Connacht v Glasgow? Monday night at 20.00 it was the case and now at 13.00 on Tuesday it's the same!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

goreyguy wrote:

On the positive side he has timed his return to form to perfection.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Oldschool wrote:
goreyguy wrote:

On the positive side he has timed his return to form to perfection.
returned to form against treviso, what a coincedence.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

hey if it was that easy Dave Kearney would have managed it

Plus backrow is the one area Treviso are strong, his opposite number has 99 international caps and their other flanker 28
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

No, hes not a seven alright, but hes a good footballer so he can play it by ear somewhat.

Having said that, he did have fulfil one of the sevens key roles really well on saturday in shadowing the ball-carrier.

The Pro12 site's highlights dont do it justice, so I've uploaded the tg4 coverage of the Jack McGrath try - take a look at how many times Murphy involves himself. Takes and gives an offload with Isa, a big carry off the next ruck, gets involved with a further ruck, then comes around the corner for another big carry to set up the ruck that McGrath scores off - really good play. Now, Treviso aren't really at the races, but that kind of work ethic deserves praise - its easier to slack off than work harder when faced with poor opposition.

He takes up a similar position for the Nacewa try and gets a gives a nice pass to put Nacewa over
Thanks for uploading. 3 important carries in that play (as well as a ruck inspection). His offload for the Nacewa try was top notch.
The highlights/tries would imply he was influential...but that's all I can see.
One thing I have noticed is that he looks a lot heavier this season and, as a result, lumbering. I wonder if that has affected his game?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

simonokeeffe wrote:hey if it was that easy Dave Kearney would have managed it

Plus backrow is the one area Treviso are strong, his opposite number has 99 international caps and their other flanker 28
Dave Kearney is in awful form, so no he probably wouldn't.

Just because they have international caps doesn't mean they are either in good form or actually that good, they are italian after all.

Until Jordi performs well at 7 when facing a team that's actually any good i'm going to remain very skeptical he is a good option there, especially when it comes to the breakdown where he has been found out fairly regularly when playing 7.