Leinster squad evolution

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster squad evolution

Post by neiliog93 »

Big for a 10 and good gas. Hopefully he can make the step up and he isn't coerced into leaving Leinster.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Carbery was name checked by Nacewa during the week and just now by Schmidt as well. He's looking very good at the moment. Playing very flat and has a lovely pass and break.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote:Enjoying Joey Carbery's performance in the UBL final.
He's absolutely excellent. Had heard that he dominated the semi-final against UCD and was keeping an eye out for him in this game ... didn't have to look very hard, he has been everywhere and doing everything excellently. Hit the bricks Marshy!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

hugonaut wrote:
He's absolutely excellent. Had heard that he dominated the semi-final against UCD and was keeping an eye out for him in this game ... didn't have to look very hard, he has been everywhere and doing everything excellently. Hit the bricks Marshy!
Been impressed with D'Arcy and O'Brien in the centre too.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
Been impressed with D'Arcy and O'Brien in the centre too.
I think O'Brien is the best U20 back in the country ... it's baffling that he wasn't a fixture in his best position for the Irish U20s. Two years on the Irish Youths side, two years on the Leinster 20s side, a starter on the Leinster U19 Schools team that beat Australia – he has buckets of pedigree behind him, it's not like he was coming out of nowhere.

He used to play a lot of outhalf as well and has a well-developed skillset. I had heard his name before I saw him play so the first time I saw him I didn't know who he was: he was playing No10 for Irish Youths against Irish Schools at Christmas about two and a half years ago and he was the best back on his team [which had Sam Arnold playing centre]. Hopefully we can bring him into the academy and get him into action in his first year in the B&I Cup and the Pro12.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

hugonaut wrote:I think O'Brien is the best U20 back in the country ... it's baffling that he wasn't a fixture in his best position for the Irish U20s. Two years on the Irish Youths side, two years on the Leinster 20s side, a starter on the Leinster U19 Schools team that beat Australia – he has buckets of pedigree behind him, it's not like he was coming out of nowhere.

He used to play a lot of outhalf as well and has a well-developed skillset. I had heard his name before I saw him play so the first time I saw him I didn't know who he was: he was playing No10 for Irish Youths against Irish Schools at Christmas about two and a half years ago and he was the best back on his team [which had Sam Arnold playing centre]. Hopefully we can bring him into the academy and get him into action in his first year in the B&I Cup and the Pro12.
Sounds like the real deal. Leinster could do with another 13 coming through, because the back up outside centres for Ringrose - Fitzgerald, Reid, McFadden - are all makeshift 13s. Reid might be more suited to 13 than 12, though. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on next season if he is the no. 2 13
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

leinsterforever wrote:
hugonaut wrote:I think O'Brien is the best U20 back in the country ... it's baffling that he wasn't a fixture in his best position for the Irish U20s. Two years on the Irish Youths side, two years on the Leinster 20s side, a starter on the Leinster U19 Schools team that beat Australia – he has buckets of pedigree behind him, it's not like he was coming out of nowhere.

Sounds like the real deal. Leinster could do with another 13 coming through, because the back up outside centres for Ringrose - Fitzgerald, Reid, McFadden - are all makeshift 13s. Reid might be more suited to 13 than 12, though. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on next season if he is the no. 2 13
Absolutely agree with Hugo about Carbery & O'Brien
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I hope for Leinster's sake they don't have Pat Lams email address. ;)
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Carbery reminds me of Goosen. He's that languid upright running style, looks like a good athlete and nice wristy pass.

Anyone care to comment on what his kicking out of hand and game control is like?
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

wixfjord wrote:Carbery reminds me of Goosen. He's that languid upright running style, looks like a good athlete and nice wristy pass.

Anyone care to comment on what his kicking out of hand and game control is like?

His kicking from hand is good. His garryowens yesterday were spot on (something Schmidt loves) and in last years JWC he made som lovely kick passes. So he seems a good judge of how much weight to put on the kick.

Game control seems solid also.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Very skilful player and great athlete. Before yesterday I wouldn't have been sure that he was a ten but he really dominated the game, very encouraging performance.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

So we are possibly keeping Hirst and Thornbury going on the list of players leaving.

Triggs remaining if Mickey Mac doesn't recover sufficiently perhaps. Otherwise we have 7 senior locks plus James Ryan joining the academy to join David O'Connor. Probably overkill.

Gibson-Park yet to be announced would leave us with a 42 man senior squad with 22 of them born in the 90s.

Gotta be a good sign. I have older things in my fridge.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:So we are possibly keeping Hirst and Thornbury going on the list of players leaving.

Triggs remaining if Mickey Mac doesn't recover sufficiently perhaps. Otherwise we have 7 senior locks plus James Ryan joining the academy to join David O'Connor. Probably overkill.

Gibson-Park yet to be announced would leave us with a 42 man senior squad with 22 of them born in the 90s.

I make it 6, but I got our number of centres wrong so am only cautiously raising this

Triggs/McCarthy
Thornbury
Nagle
Toner
Kearney
Molony
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

johng wrote:So we are possibly keeping Hirst and Thornbury going on the list of players leaving.

Very much doubt that we're keeping Hirst; I think he has already been let go. The last Sportsfile photo of him training with the team dates from October [source: http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1068849/ ]. My understanding was that he was contracted purely as RWC15 cover.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

hugonaut wrote:

Very much doubt that we're keeping Hirst; I think he has already been let go. The last Sportsfile photo of him training with the team dates from October [source: http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1068849/ ]. My understanding was that he was contracted purely as RWC15 cover.
he is not contracted to play for leinster next season fyi

TH props next season: Ross, Bent, Furlong, Heffernan(A), Loughman(A).
LH props next season: Healy, McGrath, Byrne, Dooley, Porter(A).
Last edited by goreyguy on May 9th, 2016, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

hugonaut wrote:

Ah. That makes sense.

Also makes 41 man squad with 22 born in the 90s.
Last edited by johng on May 9th, 2016, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe wrote:

I make it 6, but I got our number of centres wrong so am only cautiously raising this

Triggs/McCarthy
Thornbury
Nagle
Toner
Kearney
Molony
You just named 7......

My point was it is either Triggs or McCarthy OTHERWISE we have 7
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

goreyguy wrote:
That's a decent set of props considering we have lost Moore. Loughman and Bent are ambidextrous too.

I can see pressure from Big Dave to lose Byrne or Dooley to...... A Province
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

johng wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
That's a decent set of props considering we have lost Moore. Loughman and Bent are ambidextrous too.

I can see pressure from Big Dave to lose Byrne or Dooley to...... A Province
It's okay but Healy is nowhere near what he used to be and Ross is on his last legs.. Could do with Heffernan/Loughman stepping up but doubt either will be ready next season.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Dooley's been looking good in fairness.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!