Leinster squad evolution

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster squad evolution

Post by Ruckedtobits »

simonokeeffe wrote:On your aside, no dont think there has

I'd rather milk Ross for another year and bring Marty back a year early under auspices of 2019 preparation
+1
Definitely agree with that logic (and continue to work on trying to convince Porter to switch sides rather than go elsewhere).
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I was thinking, and it seems to me that in the near future Leinster could do with signing a Paul Warwick type player, i.e. a good fullback who is also proficient at outhalf. JS and RK are injured or unavailable quite often, and Isa and Zane probably won't be on the scene very much longer. One of them might stay on for another season, but I'd say they'll be gone after that. When those two do exit we'll need someone to cover 15 when Rob is absent. Some more 10 cover would be good as well because only having Carbery, Byrne and Marsh for the extended periods Sexton isn't around for could be a bit risky. Looking at the squad, getting separate players for 10 and 15 might be a bit of overkill and could stifle the development of the likes of Ross Byrne so it would be good if one player could cover both positions.

James Marshall would be good, but we're hardly going to buy out his London Irish contract (although something might be workable if LI don't get promoted). Getting Ian Keatley back and viewing him primarily as a fullback could be another option. There must be some good players in the SH who would fit the bill as well.

Maybe Dardis or Jack Power will make a breakthrough and negate the need to sign back-up for Rob.

Thoughts?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Is there anything Noel Reid can't do?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We have Isa and lost Madigan. We have flexibility. What we need is to develop a fullback, we've had so many that we've been shipping them out or moving them around. If there's an opening developing why shut the door so tight so quickly.

Henshaw can play there too.

We're solid at 10, a Warwick type player would just block young talent so we'd have a short boost with a killer long term hit.

We can sign one if it turns out we need one. A scrum half was signed and that was a critical area. A young Horgan or Hickie on the wing would do wonders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

leinsterforever wrote:I was thinking, and it seems to me that in the near future Leinster could do with signing a Paul Warwick type player, i.e. a good fullback who is also proficient at outhalf. JS and RK are injured or unavailable quite often, and Isa and Zane probably won't be on the scene very much longer. One of them might stay on for another season, but I'd say they'll be gone after that. When those two do exit we'll need someone to cover 15 when Rob is absent. Some more 10 cover would be good as well because only having Carbery, Byrne and Marsh for the extended periods Sexton isn't around for could be a bit risky. Looking at the squad, getting separate players for 10 and 15 might be a bit of overkill and could stifle the development of the likes of Ross Byrne so it would be good if one player could cover both positions.

James Marshall would be good, but we're hardly going to buy out his London Irish contract (although something might be workable if LI don't get promoted). Getting Ian Keatley back and viewing him primarily as a fullback could be another option. There must be some good players in the SH who would fit the bill as well.

Maybe Dardis or Jack Power will make a breakthrough and negate the need to sign back-up for Rob.

Thoughts?
Would Leinster be allowed sign another niq back 3? They currently have 2, and under the current ruling, are not allowed to sign one when they leave.

Similar to Munster at tight head when botha left.

I am not saying that Leinster should not be allowed, as currently they country is filled with iq back 3 players.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

munster#1 wrote:Would Leinster be allowed sign another niq back 3? They currently have 2, and under the current ruling, are not allowed to sign one when they leave.

Similar to Munster at tight head when botha left.

I am not saying that Leinster should not be allowed, as currently they country is filled with iq back 3 players.
I'd say it would depend on how many other NIQs Leinster had, and on whether or not, in Nucifora's judgement, there was sufficient depth and quality of IQ options.

It would be harsh to not allow a back three signing if JGP was the only NIQ on the books. And, after all, there are three back three positions compared to only one tight head slot, so the signing could be classed as the one that hadn't been filled
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

There are a couple of very high quality full-backs coming through - Jack Power is cuurrent 20's and Billy Dardis' younger brother is coming just behind. Both of these guys are top class so far and have come through the Leinster system thus far which is as it should be.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Hugo Keenan has been playing fullback for UCD also. Didn't Kelleher sign a 2 year deal? Depending on how things pan out in Connacht post-Lam he could likely return also. If we get one more good year out of Nacewa that should give sufficient time for someone to come through, provided opportunities are given to the young guys at FB
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:There are a couple of very high quality full-backs coming through - Jack Power is cuurrent 20's and Billy Dardis' younger brother is coming just behind. Both of these guys are top class so far and have come through the Leinster system thus far which is as it should be.
Eh Jack Power wouldn't be in the top class for me, he is a very good rugby player but probably lacks the athleticism/size to be a top class professional fullback. Not unlike Billy Dardis. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Best fullback prospect in system is Jack Kelly, who could end up playing fullback or outside centre for Ireland u20.

Sam Dardis is a good prospect at 15, but years away from playing for Leinster.

If only Conor Nash hadn't have been lost to the Ozzie rules.
Last edited by goreyguy on December 9th, 2016, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote:Is there anything Noel Reid can't do?
Miss tackles on Nick Williams
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Is there anything Noel Reid can't do?
Miss tackles on Nick Williams
Like sh!t to blankets he was
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The backline we ended up with last night must have a parallel in evolution. Where it might have been: Isa, Dave Kearney, Ferg, Noel Reid, Zane, JS. Reddan, it ended as:
Isa, Adam Byrne, Ringrose, Henshaw, O'Loughlin, Ross Byrne, McGrath.

Whilst acknowledging that Reddan's inclusion in this selection is stretching the analogy a bit, there's little doubt that this was a big night for Squad Evolution.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

BTW, given the thinning which has occurred so suddenly in our out-half ranks, any chance of a loan of Crosbie back from Munster for the next three months?

He starts today for Munster A v Rotherham in Yorkshire, but how wistfully did he glance at Ross Byrne's opportunity last night against Saints?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:BTW, given the thinning which has occurred so suddenly in our out-half ranks, any chance of a loan of Crosbie back from Munster for the next three months?

He starts today for Munster A v Rotherham in Yorkshire, but how wistfully did he glance at Ross Byrne's opportunity last night against Saints?
well not like we'd ever be allowed a medical joker :D
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:BTW, given the thinning which has occurred so suddenly in our out-half ranks, any chance of a loan of Crosbie back from Munster for the next three months?

well not like we'd ever be allowed a medical joker :D

Medical joker you say . . . Dr Leo will see you now . . .
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

:)

Be nice hes a longstanding STH
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

leinsterforever wrote:I was thinking, and it seems to me that in the near future Leinster could do with signing a Paul Warwick type player, i.e. a good fullback who is also proficient at outhalf. JS and RK are injured or unavailable quite often, and Isa and Zane probably won't be on the scene very much longer. One of them might stay on for another season, but I'd say they'll be gone after that. When those two do exit we'll need someone to cover 15 when Rob is absent. Some more 10 cover would be good as well because only having Carbery, Byrne and Marsh for the extended periods Sexton isn't around for could be a bit risky. Looking at the squad, getting separate players for 10 and 15 might be a bit of overkill and could stifle the development of the likes of Ross Byrne so it would be good if one player could cover both positions.

Thoughts?
Hanrahan has made noises about coming back this week. I thought he showed well in the game too. Him to Munster, Keatley to Leinster isn't an impossible turn of events, but I'm tending to agree with ronk on this one.