Semi Final: Leinster vs Ulster Fri May 20th K/O 19:45

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Semi Final: Leinster vs Ulster Fri May 20th K/O 19:45

Post by nelly the elephant »

Ruckedtobits wrote:While we're at it, well done to Ian Davies in what was a very big game for him. He saw most of what was important and wasn't too fussy. Scrums worked and were contests. Off-side line was reasonably applied and in general, there were few complaints from players. A good performance with minimal references to his presence.
You beat me to it...I thought he played no small part in how enjoyable the game was....excellent effort.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

rooster wrote:Nothing much to say except best side won comfortably, good match as an example of how rugby can be played by PRO12 sides.
All the best next week if you are playing Glasgow but I will have to support Connacht if they make it, would be great for both the league and Irish rugby if they won, sorry chaps. :)
I don't blame you, you would have to have a heart of stone to not be rooting for Connacht to win the league, unless your team is playing them. I hope it's Connacht in the final, as if we lose, it would be a hell of a lot easier to take. Nothing against Glasgow, I definitely wanted to see them win the league last year when we were out of it and I think it was great for the league and Scottish rugby, but I think every Leinster fan knows we're on our own if we're playing Connacht in the final.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

rooster wrote:Nothing much to say except best side won comfortably, good match as an example of how rugby can be played by PRO12 sides.
All the best next week if you are playing Glasgow but I will have to support Connacht if they make it, would be great for both the league and Irish rugby if they won, sorry chaps. :)
Thanks Rooster - funnily enough if you'd beaten us last night we'd probably have all been up for Connacht in the final too :P

Also, thanks for all the contributions throughout the season. Without a doubt you are the best visiting member on this forum. Win, lose or draw you're always happy to give your opinion and listen to others and all without feeling the need to troll that some others can't resist.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Funny moment at the end. Both teams came out to applaud the fans and Leinster did their usual thing when it's a semi, quick clap and then back to the dressing room. All apart from Garry Ringrose who joined the Ulster team as they did a lap to thank their fans. He got as far as the big terrace when he realised he was the only Leinster player still on the field. He rather sheepishly made an about turn and threw in a little jog too. Adorable! :D
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Donny B. wrote:Funny moment at the end. Both teams came out to applaud the fans and Leinster did their usual thing when it's a semi, quick clap and then back to the dressing room. All apart from Garry Ringrose who joined the Ulster team as they did a lap to thank their fans. He got as far as the big terrace when he realised he was the only Leinster player still on the field. He rather sheepishly made an about turn and threw in a little jog too. Adorable! :D
and that's why he's now the darling of the big terrace :lol:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Xanthippe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Got home from work without hearing score or result, got email from branch about final tickets which gave it away

Ticket office out
Hahaha, I know it's really not funny but at the same time that's absofrickenlutely hilarious
serves me right for texting girls

if anyone hasnt watched the match back yet, 9 minutes in (our first penalty kick) Jack McGrath milks that penalty by holding their player on top of the ball beautifully, worthy of Boss at his finest. I daresay Nigel Owens wouldnt have fallen for it

Amazing how good our lineout is when we just throw everything to Toner
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

DartVader wrote:As a side note, I was talking to some Ulster fans last night post match and they agreed that (result aside in their case) the game in the RDS last night for the rugby on show, the excitement, atmosphere and fans was light years ahead of the drivel dished up in two european finals a week previous.
Cudos to both teams but also to both sets of supporters for the colour and noise that helped make a match an occasion. A great advertisement for the Pro12 and......
Great night to be in the RDS. :green clap:
The difference between Irish rugby fans supporting Irish rugby players and those supporting the mercenaries.

Great atmosphere all night. There was a moment with about 7 or 8 minutes to go and both sets of fans were up. Flags were waving and there was noise from all corners of the ground. Reminded me of the nights when Clermont came to town.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Last night's match was the first this season where the senior players and the young guns really gelled as a unit. Not surprising really considering how little real time they've had together. There were so many leaders to choose from Jamie, Big Dev, Isa and Johnny. Guys like Ringrose and M. Kearney really got a chance to show their pedigree, and that they belong, nay are needed at the big table.

Rooster, you've got a great team they just need more steel up front. They're reminiscent of us pre-Michael Cheika. Best of luck with the next season, and I can honestly say I won't fancy facing ya home or away.

Jackie Brown, you've got a lot to learn from Rooster, Darkside Lightside and the rest of classy Ulster posters
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

I'm sorry RTB & Nellie... But couldn't disagree more re Davies. Breakdown was a mess ... Back foot entry completely ignored, knock ons ignored , midfield obstruction ignored... He was out of his depth..
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

alanair wrote:I'm sorry RTB & Nellie... But couldn't disagree more re Davies. Breakdown was a mess ... Back foot entry completely ignored, knock ons ignored , midfield obstruction ignored... He was out of his depth..
Both teams had fast ball most of the night. He caught Ulster crossing. Missed maybe one knock-on (there weren't that many all game). He kept bodies cleared of the breakdown and allowed both teams to play. Thought he had a really good game.

Could have been Owens reffing.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Great game. Sad to see Madser walking off the pitch for the final time (unless of course he opts to come back.... And we want him)
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
hope not expectation
Bookworm

Post by hope not expectation »

I'm absolutely delighted with last night. A great atmosphere, great commitment from everyone. Other than not carding Toner for the high tackle and Henry for the knock on I thought the ref had a decent match. It was my most enjoyable evening in the RDS for the past two years.
Thank you Leo and all the 23. :D
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

hope not expectation wrote:I'm absolutely delighted with last night. A great atmosphere, great commitment from everyone. Other than not carding Toner for the high tackle and Henry for the knock on I thought the ref had a decent match. It was my most enjoyable evening in the RDS for the past two years.
Thank you Leo and all the 23. :D
yeah how Henry wasnt even penalised is unreald
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Blue Voodoo
Knowledgeable

Post by Blue Voodoo »

Electric atmosphere - great game - big win
Felt like old times again

Super team performance which showed what the potential of this group is .
So many players put in their best game of the season I would have given man of the match to the team

Congrats to the team and the coaching staff and good luck next week
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Only able to see it finally this morning. Brilliant overall performance, especially satisfying after the Ravenspan effort and consequent Gringo hubris (in some quarters). Too many excellent showings to single anyone out, though Luke and Jamie were outstanding, and Jordi put in a genuinely redemptive effort.

Where is Jackie Brown?
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Luke McGrath really needs to work on his tackle technique. He's really brave and throws everything at the ball carrier, but quite often at the expense of his technique and some day he's going to get badly hurt. His timing is brilliant but its such fine margins that he won't get it right every time.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Luke McGrath really needs to work on his tackle technique. He's really brave and throws everything at the ball carrier, but quite often at the expense of his technique and some day he's going to get badly hurt. His timing is brilliant but its such fine margins that he won't get it right every time.
Presume you're refering to the half McFadden he did to stop Henderson. Was there really any other way he was going to stop him? Too high you get bounced, too low/checky looking for the ankle tap and he slips out. I thought he was roadkill and we'd have to finish the game with Madigan at 9. Fair play to him. A lot of players would have taken the easier option.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's the incident that made me say it alright but I only mentioned it because it's happened in so many other games too. Like I said, his timing is excellent but if you launch yourself at a player like that then you're going to get hurt. It's not a criticism, it's a warning.

Jordi and Ringrose were even better than I thought when I watched it back. I'd have given Jordi MOTM actually. He had a couple of incredibly good tackles within a few seconds of each other when we were under the pump. One was a when Henry broke through and he somehow hauled him down (and slowed down the ball) and then when the play went the other way a phase or two later he was somehow over that side and really quickly off the line to drive someone back. His workrate all day was immense.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

That was probably the best performance from Leinster since Joe Schmidt left. Brilliant.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The win away in Northampton in Dec 2013 was fairly special. The 2014 pro12 final where we blew away the 2015 champs was fairly decent too.