Dave Kearney(27)
Barry Daly(24)
Adam Byrne(22)
Bill Dardis(21)
Ian Fitzpatrick(22)(A)
Hugo Keenan(20)(A)
Jack Power(20)(A)
Terry Kennedy(20)(A)
Last edited by goreyguy on October 18th, 2016, 10:24 am, edited 10 times in total.
R-Dog
Graduate

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2016/2017

Post by R-Dog »

Tight Head would be the area of most concern as There doesn't seam to be any academy lads pushing through there

OH will be another area. Have two good prospects in Byrne and Carberry but would worry about going into a European game with out Jonny. Reallly think we should have signed a duel 9/10 here. (Mitchallac was knocking about). Might see Isa back in at 10 possibly

Center looks a little light but you could add Luke and Ferg as options there I suppose.

Would have to think that side is 2/3 top players off being a real European challanger
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

McCarthy has to be down as a tbc

Ive a feeling Reddan will be a player coach, he already does video analysis so he might just be 3rd choice and then only used for big games
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Agree about TH and outhalf being big concerns now. Arguably the two most important positions on the pitch and yet it looks like we might be heavily reliant on Bent to give us a scrum platform, and two kids to control games for us. A huge ask and I could see us having to make Craig Ryland/Clint Newland style signing at some stage.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Agree about TH and outhalf being big concerns now. Arguably the two most important positions on the pitch and yet it looks like we might be heavily reliant on Bent to give us a scrum platform, and two kids to control games for us. A huge ask and I could see us having to make Craig Ryland/Clint Newland style signing at some stage.
Jack McGrath to re explore his tighthead covering ability at some stage?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

I've no doubt that Zane Kirchner is a tremendously nice fella but why is he still here? Was he given a 2 year extension or a 1 & 1?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Dirk Stickler wrote:I've no doubt that Zane Kirchner is a tremendously nice fella but why is he still here? Was he given a 2 year extension or a 1 & 1?
two years
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

Dirk Stickler wrote:I've no doubt that Zane Kirchner is a tremendously nice fella but why is he still here?
Doesn't make any sense to me unless it provides the IRFU with an excuse for sending Cian Kellegher out west!!

In other news confirmation of scrumhalf Jamison Gibson-Park signing on & lock Hayden Triggs extending his contract for next season

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/p ... -1.2645333
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

For tighthead I'd say one of Heffernan or Loughman will get a development contract or they'll both be used as cover.

For outhalf, I'd say Carbery might get a development contract.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

dropkick wrote:For tighthead I'd say one of Heffernan or Loughman will get a development contract or they'll both be used as cover.

none of them will get a development contract this summer.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

goreyguy wrote:
dropkick wrote:For tighthead I'd say one of Heffernan or Loughman will get a development contract or they'll both be used as cover.

none of them will get a development contract this summer.

Might not have a choice with Carbery if other teams are interested.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Even with the number of National Squad players, 55 players on the roster is a complete nonsense.

If guys in the Academy haven't at least five games, say 150 mins, of Senior rugby by the end of year 2, they should be moved on. By end of year 3, they should have had involvement in at least 10 games, say 250 mins, to be offered a Development Contract.

Without benchmarks of something like this, we merely run the risk of stockpiling "just in case". If anybody says you can't throw kids into Pro12 games willy nilly, the answer is merely Treviso, Zebre, Dragons and add 6 Nations Welsh fixtures. The other rationalisation offered is Connacht.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Even with the number of National Squad players, 55 players on the roster is a complete nonsense.

If guys in the Academy haven't at least five games, say 150 mins, of Senior rugby by the end of year 2, they should be moved on. By end of year 3, they should have had involvement in at least 10 games, say 250 mins, to be offered a Development Contract.

Without benchmarks of something like this, we merely run the risk of stockpiling "just in case". If anybody says you can't throw kids into Pro12 games willy nilly, the answer is merely Treviso, Zebre, Dragons and add 6 Nations Welsh fixtures. The other rationalisation offered is Connacht.
+1
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

We'll have a lot more once first years come into the academy. I don't thi k we have ever hit 70 but we probably have hit 65
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

johng wrote:We'll have a lot more once first years come into the academy. I don't thi k we have ever hit 70 but we probably have hit 65
Somewhere between 63 & 65 i'd say.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Even with the number of National Squad players, 55 players on the roster is a complete nonsense.

Don't think it's as easy as saying, 55 is too much. It's very much a case by case basis on the individual player and what he is bringing to the squad. When you consider the academy is going to be at least 20 players. You are asking to cut a good few squad players from the senior squad, mostly forwards who play an attritional position.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

You do know that we've had to use 57 players in the matchday squads this year? 75 if you count Leinster A in the BIC.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

With the numbers we provide to the national squad and average injury rates you need those type of numbers. I would always like to see 3 guys minimum for every position with young guys behind them and in the academy.

There is a need for thinning out each year even where someone has a future it might just not be with us at this time.

I do think guys can be blooded in the pro12 but I would not like to have them all being focused on the weak teams. We need strongish squads for those games as we need to pick up bonus points in all of them. Home and away bonus wins against those 3 gives you 30 points which is a good base for the league. I like to see new guys getting game time in the middle of the senior guys so there is support and they get a better run.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

goreyguy wrote:Senior Squad next season:
Centre
Harrison Brewer(21)(A)

Back Three
Rory O'Loughlin(22)(A)
Ian Fitzpatrick(22)(A)
Are Crosbie and Dardis definitely gone? If so, any idea where? Maybe an argument for keeping Dardis on with Kelleher going, are O'Loughlin or Fitzpatrick well rated? Doesn't seem to be as much hype surrounding either of them as there might have been for guys like Kelleher, Byrne and Dardis when they were coming through around the same time. Lastly, any exceptionally promising back three players expected in next seasons academy? (please say yes). I'm still amazed Peter Robb wasn't named in the academy in the year of the centres.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

2015/2016 squad numbers:

Leinster = 47 + 22 Academy
Munster = 45 + 24 Academy
Ulster = 44 + 17 Academy
Connacht 40 + 21 Academy
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever