Leinster Senior Squad 2016/2017

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2016/2017

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Trust me, that was an excellent Simpsons reference but I can't get the image to work.
What could possibli go wrong
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Recognising that friendlies cannot be played at the same intensity as competitive games, our Squad composition now gives the capacity to field two strong Pro12 selections with a full quality back-up in almost every position. The tentative pecking order might be:
15. Rob Kearney.......Morris. (B Dardis)
14. Ringrose.........D Kearney (A Byrne)
13. Kirchner.........O'Loughlin (O'Brien)
12. Henshaw........Reid (T Daly)
11. Nacewa......... McFadden (Keenan)
10. Sexton..........Carbery (Bryne or Marsh)
9. Gibson - Park......McGrath (McCarthy)
1. J McGrath.........Healy ( Dooley / Porter)
2. Strauss........ Cronin (Treacy)
3. Ross..............Furlong (Bent)
4. M Kearney......... McCarthy (Triggs)
5. Toner.............Molony (Nagle)
6. SOB..............Ruddock (Ryan)
7. JVdF............Jordi Murphy (Leavy)
8. Heaslip........Conan (Timmons)

Last season we appear to have used more than 60 players throughout all our senior fixtures. The total above is less than 50, but definitely now more experienced and, IMO, more skillful. Clearly, we also need a full coaching complement with these guys and each team has to be as committedd to the Leinster cause in each game. However, I suspect that Leo will come under pressure, from his IRFU bosses, to select certain players in specific fixtures, to prepare them for Autumn and 6N internationals.

This is why the 'mix and match' between the Squad becomes very important and no doubt we'll see much more of the players on the right side of this list than those on the left. Personally, I'd be more than happy to see the middle row (above) for almost every Pro12 game.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

I might query the positioning of some like Ringrose and the order of a few others but in general that is a good exercise. It does highlight the areas where we could be shown up if we have front line injuries against top level opposition. For the Pro 12 most of those can do a job and I would agree that the middle row should be more than adequate for most of those games.
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Recognising that friendlies cannot be played at the same intensity as competitive games, our Squad composition now gives the capacity to field two strong Pro12 selections with a full quality back-up in almost every position. The tentative pecking order might be:
15. Rob Kearney.......Morris. (B Dardis)
14. Ringrose.........D Kearney (A Byrne)
13. Kirchner.........O'Loughlin (O'Brien)
12. Henshaw........Reid (T Daly)
11. Nacewa......... McFadden (Keenan)
10. Sexton..........Carbery (Bryne or Marsh)
9. Gibson - Park......McGrath (McCarthy)
1. J McGrath.........Healy ( Dooley / Porter)
2. Strauss........ Cronin (Treacy)
3. Ross..............Furlong (Bent)
4. M Kearney......... McCarthy (Triggs)
5. Toner.............Molony (Nagle)
6. SOB..............Ruddock (Ryan)
7. JVdF............Jordi Murphy (Leavy)
8. Heaslip........Conan (Timmons)

Last season we appear to have used more than 60 players throughout all our senior fixtures. The total above is less than 50, but definitely now more experienced and, IMO, more skillful. Clearly, we also need a full coaching complement with these guys and each team has to be as committedd to the Leinster cause in each game. However, I suspect that Leo will come under pressure, from his IRFU bosses, to select certain players in specific fixtures, to prepare them for Autumn and 6N internationals.

This is why the 'mix and match' between the Squad becomes very important and no doubt we'll see much more of the players on the right side of this list than those on the left. Personally, I'd be more than happy to see the middle row (above) for almost every Pro12 game.
I think Ringrose is first choice 13. Bump up Dave Kearney to 14 with Adam Byrne behind him. Robbie will presumably get a run there too at some stage.

I imagine Zane may see a bit of game time at 13 out of necessity but if Morris stays fit I think he'll get the extension so Kirchner will play less and less at 15.

JGP did enough on Friday to show he's probably now our first choice 9 (might be completely wrong on that).

I'd agree that Ross is first choice TH but i'd like to think that Tadgh will take it off him by the end of the season.

Our second row depth suddenly looks reasonably strong, especially when James Ryan gets factored in. Saying that Mike McCarthy looks a bit away from being ready and i'm hoping the same is true for Nagle who's looked a bit of a passenger so far.

Vdf starting over Jordi? I'd have said yes after the 6 nations but thought Jordi was outstanding against Ulster and had a good tour in SA.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

The only problem I really see with the above list is that there are some in the middle column that will be away with Ireland during the season. Would it be better to have a list of guys available outside the international windows and guys available during? So outside the international window:

01: McGrath, Healy, Dooley
02: Strauss, Cronin, Tracy
03: Ross, Furlong, Bent
04: Toner, Molony, M Kearney
05: McCarthy, Triggs, Nagle
06: Ruddock, Murphy, Ryan
07: SOB, VDF, Leavy
08: Heaslip, Conan, Timmins

09: JGP, McGrath, McCarthy
10: Sexton, Carbery, R Byrne
11: D Kearney, Kirchner
12: Henshaw, Reid, Daly
13: Ringrose, O'Loughlin
14: Nacewa, McFadden, A Byrne
15: R Kearney, Morris, Dardis

And during the international window:

01: Dooley, Porter
02: Tracy, B Byrne
03: Bent, Loughman
04: Molony, M Kearney, J Ryan
05: McCarthy, Triggs, Nagle
06: D Ryan, Josh Murphy
07: Leavy
08: Conan, Deegan

09: JGP, McCarthy, Rock
10: Carbery, R Byrne, Marsh
11: Nacewa, A Byrne
12: Reid, Daly
13: Ringrose, O'Loughlin
14: Kirchner, McFadden
15: Morris, Dardis

You can change around a few players in the back 3 and centres to a degree, but that shows that once we get a few lads back and fit our squad is a in a pretty healthy place. And I'm sure we won't be losing all the guys to international duty that I've suggested, that's more of a worse case scenario really. I do think though that our wing and inside centre options need work.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Interesting people seem to think JGP has overtaken Luke McGrath already.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Interestingly, if I remember correctly, didn't JVDF play the second half at 8 last Friday? If so perhaps they're thinking of playing him there with Leavy at 7 againt Treviso, if Conan is injured. Just a thought!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

There are a lot of good players in the squad, but there are still some imbalances in there. Kirchner and Nacewa are much less good in positions other than 15 in my view, so shoe-horning them into playing centre and/or wing isn't ideal. And I think Reid doesn't really work unless there's a big outside centre (like Henshaw) partnering him. I think I'd be looking at Reid as a 13 or wing
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

leinsterforever wrote:There are a lot of good players in the squad, but there are still some imbalances in there. Kirchner and Nacewa are much less good in positions other than 15 in my view, so shoe-horning them into playing centre and/or wing isn't ideal. And I think Reid doesn't really work unless there's a big outside centre (like Henshaw) partnering him. I think I'd be looking at Reid as a 13 or wing
But sure we already have Henshaw, who is primarily a 13, Ringrose, O'Loughlin and Kirchner who can all play at 13. We don't need another outside centre. We've too many of those and not enough inside centres.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

molloyjh wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:There are a lot of good players in the squad, but there are still some imbalances in there. Kirchner and Nacewa are much less good in positions other than 15 in my view, so shoe-horning them into playing centre and/or wing isn't ideal. And I think Reid doesn't really work unless there's a big outside centre (like Henshaw) partnering him. I think I'd be looking at Reid as a 13 or wing
But sure we already have Henshaw, who is primarily a 13, Ringrose, O'Loughlin and Kirchner who can all play at 13. We don't need another outside centre. We've too many of those and not enough inside centres.
Henshaw could just as easily be primarily a 12, and McFadden and Daly, and the O'Briens, if you go further down the pecking order, are inside centre options
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

That ain't good news on Jack Conan it looks like.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

leinsterforever wrote:Henshaw could just as easily be primarily a 12, and McFadden and Daly, and the O'Briens, if you go further down the pecking order, are inside centre options
Henshaw could be, and probably will be, our primary 12. McFadden hasn't played 12 in years. Daly and O'Brien are varying degrees of unproven and inexperienced. As for Reid, he's got a lot going forward but can't be relied upon in bigger games due to his defence. We're either putting a square peg into a round hole or relying on inexperience. Hardly ideal....
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

If Henshaw is there at 12 for big games then Daly/Reid/O'Loughlin/O'Brien might be grand for the rest.... O'Loughlin looked great in the games I saw. Might be yet another one who is better at 13 than 12 though
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Bit of blow with Dardis out for 4 months and Fitzpatrick out for probably longer

Nagle out for a few weeks too

Oh and the previous lack of this was mentioned before but Niall is in the team photos now

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Barry Daly still training with squad.
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

What is our absolute first choice now? If everyone was fit and raring to go.

1: McGrath 2: Strauss 3: Ross 4: Toner 5: McCarthy 6: O'Brien 7: VDF 8: Jamie

9: McGrath 10: Sexton 11: Dave K 12: Henshaw 13: Ringrose 14: Isa 15: RobK

Is that about right?

Thats a damn good team. Ive high hopes.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

would agree on the backline, JGP & Carberry clear 21 & 22, probably McFadden as 23

Forwards: hooker a toss up, IMO M Kearney ahead of McCarthy, Ruddock v JVDF is one hell of a call/scrap, loser is 20. Sub props and hooker obvious, Molony is 19 though they could horses for courses with Kearney
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

goreyguy wrote:Barry Daly still training with squad.
I heard his efforts won him some class of contract
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

simonokeeffe wrote:would agree on the backline, JGP & Carberry clear 21 & 22, probably McFadden as 23

Forwards: hooker a toss up, IMO M Kearney ahead of McCarthy, Ruddock v JVDF is one hell of a call/scrap, loser is 20. Sub props and hooker obvious, Molony is 19 though they could horses for courses with Kearney
M Kearney ahead of McCarthy both in capacity and potential. Personally would see Rhys in competition with SO'B and JVdF in competition with Leavy but very happy to go with two out and opensides until SO'B does more than come through a Training Session.

JGP ahead of Luke for me and fancy O'Loughlin getting a run outside Henshaw with Ringrose on the wing instead of Dave K.