Leinster Senior Squad 2016/2017

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

molloyjh
Mullet

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2016/2017

Post by molloyjh »

Dave Cahill wrote:I heard his efforts won him some class of contract
Deserved it after the work he put in during pre-season. He looked decent from what I saw of him.
Ruckedtobits wrote:M Kearney ahead of McCarthy both in capacity and potential. Personally would see Rhys in competition with SO'B and JVdF in competition with Leavy but very happy to go with two out and opensides until SO'B does more than come through a Training Session.

JGP ahead of Luke for me and fancy O'Loughlin getting a run outside Henshaw with Ringrose on the wing instead of Dave K.
McGrath was without doubt the better of the 2 scrum-halves on Saturday for me. He should remain first choice until/unless JGP shows he's more deserving.

Wouldn't mind seeing O'Loughlin on the wing for a bit early on this season, similar to the way we started Ringrose off there last season. He really looks like a guy with potential and should be getting game time as a result. However not in the first choice 23 just yet. Mine would be:

McGrath Strauss Ross
Toner McCarthy
Ruddock Heaslip SOB

McGrath Sexton
Henshaw Ringrose
Dave Rob Isa

Cronin, Healy, Furlong, Kearney, Murphy, JGP, Carbery, Kirchner

In reality the front row is pretty much locked down for now. At lock Molony is one of my favourite players in the squad at the moment. I just think his work rate and all round skill set are really strong and he has matured nicely. Would like to see him as part of a first choice 23 at some stage. But our replacement lock will generally need to be a TH lock which he isn't. In the back row we're rarely going to have the 4 lads above fit and available at the same time. VDF and Leavy should be getting a lot of time in a full strength squad. Our depth there is downright ludicrous at this stage.

At 10 I see a horses for courses option on the bench between Carbery and Byrne. I'd like to see Byrne get some time over the next 2 months because we needed someone to play a bit of territory on Saturday and he's far more suited to that than Carbery is. But having a guy on the bench that can come on and give us what Carbery can give us would be great. The 23 shirt is a tough one. Kirchner has been good over the last month or so. Not great, but good. And he covers 13, wing and FB. Ferg looked to be in decent form against Treviso and O'Loughlin at this stage should be looking to push for that jersey as well. Hopefully Morris can throw his name into the mix as well there.

It's actually a pretty strong and competitive squad, especially when you factor in the talent that I haven't mentioned.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

molloyjh wrote:
Deserved it after the work he put in during pre-season. He looked decent from what I saw of him.
Ruckedtobits wrote:M Kearney ahead of McCarthy both in capacity and potential. Personally would see Rhys in competition with SO'B and JVdF in competition with Leavy but very happy to go with two out and opensides until SO'B does more than come through a Training Session.

JGP ahead of Luke for me and fancy O'Loughlin getting a run outside Henshaw with Ringrose on the wing instead of Dave K.
McGrath was without doubt the better of the 2 scrum-halves on Saturday for me. He should remain first choice until/unless JGP shows he's more deserving.

Wouldn't mind seeing O'Loughlin on the wing for a bit early on this season, similar to the way we started Ringrose off there last season. He really looks like a guy with potential and should be getting game time as a result. However not in the first choice 23 just yet. Mine would be:

McGrath Strauss Ross
Toner McCarthy
Ruddock Heaslip SOB

McGrath Sexton
Henshaw Ringrose
Dave Rob Isa

In reality the front row is pretty much locked down for now. At lock Molony is one of my favourite players in the squad at the moment. I just think his work rate and all round skill set are really strong and he has matured nicely. Would like to see him as part of a first choice 23 at some stage. But our replacement lock will generally need to be a TH lock which he isn't. In the back row we're rarely going to have the 4 lads above fit and available at the same time. VDF and Leavy should be getting a lot of time in a full strength squad. Our depth there is downright ludicrous at this stage.

At 10 I see a horses for courses option on the bench between Carbery and Byrne. I'd like to see Byrne get some time over the next 2 months because we needed someone to play a bit of territory on Saturday and he's far more suited to that than Carbery is. But having a guy on the bench that can come on and give us what Carbery can give us would be great. The 23 shirt is a tough one. Kirchner has been good over the last month or so. Not great, but good. And he covers 13, wing and FB. Ferg looked to be in decent form against Treviso and O'Loughlin at this stage should be looking to push for that jersey as well. Hopefully Morris can throw his name into the mix as well there.

It's actually a pretty strong and competitive squad, especially when you factor in the talent that I haven't mentioned.
that's to be expected really.. backline still a good bit off standard required.

Carbery is an encouraging sign but need to see more of Daly, O'Loughlin and Byrne and they need to impress.
Last edited by goreyguy on September 13th, 2016, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

JGP has been criticised a lot after Saturday and I agree he wasn't great, but I wonder if he was injured? The way he was passing was just totally different to how I've seen him play for the Hurricanes. It was as if he couldn't move his shoulders properly.

While I think of it, the situation with Zane really annoys me. I was happy he wasn't in the centre on Saturday but it's a bit worrying that we obviously had notions of playing him there based on him starting at 13 against Treviso. As much as it's great that the coaches have the balls to make that call for the next week, it's not a good sign that they 1) thought he'd be good there and 2) planned for it in pre season and gave up after one game. Maybe that was down to being forced to give Ringrose some time on the wing or because they wanted to minimize the disruption of Ferg crying off late in the week, but even if that's the case then you still have the problem of them thinking that Zane makes a good 13.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:JGP has been criticised a lot after Saturday and I agree he wasn't great, but I wonder if he was injured? The way he was passing was just totally different to how I've seen him play for the Hurricanes. It was as if he couldn't move his shoulders properly.

While I think of it, the situation with Zane really annoys me. I was happy he wasn't in the centre on Saturday but it's a bit worrying that we obviously had notions of playing him there based on him starting at 13 against Treviso. As much as it's great that the coaches have the balls to make that call for the next week, it's not a good sign that they 1) thought he'd be good there and 2) planned for it in pre season and gave up after one game. Maybe that was down to being forced to give Ringrose some time on the wing or because they wanted to minimize the disruption of Ferg crying off late in the week, but even if that's the case then you still have the problem of them thinking that Zane makes a good 13.
I wouldn't be at all worried about JGP. For the most part his passing has looked pretty good so far. He'll probably need some time to settle in. McGrath is in a better place right now, but hopefully they can push each other to do better.

Hard to know what to make of the Zane situation. He looked pretty good at 13 a few times in pre-season and I wouldn't have a problem with him being considered back-up there. But Ringrose needs to be our first choice.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Zane is presumable gone after this season, the less we rely on him in the pro 12 the better.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

molloyjh wrote:

McGrath Strauss Ross
Toner McCarthy
Ruddock Heaslip SOB

McGrath Sexton
Henshaw Ringrose
Dave Rob Isa

At 10 I see a horses for courses option on the bench between Carbery and Byrne. I'd like to see Byrne get some time over the next 2 months because we needed someone to play a bit of territory on Saturday and he's far more suited to that than Carbery is. But having a guy on the bench that can come on and give us what Carbery can give us would be great. The 23 shirt is a tough one. Kirchner has been good over the last month or so. Not great, but good. And he covers 13, wing and FB. Ferg looked to be in decent form against Treviso and O'Loughlin at this stage should be looking to push for that jersey as well. Hopefully Morris can throw his name into the mix as well there

You are living in the dreamland with that 23....front 5 locked down, come on!!!
Furlong will start, Strauss has been nowhere near good enough the last 6 months, I'd have Cronin/Tracy miles ahead of him, mike Mac has been lumbering around for 3 games in a row now and Mick K is a dead cert with Ross M hot on his heels
Back Row up for dispute as well, when will the time come when JVDF and Leavy and Co are doing enough to keep SOB out
I think it's pretty close tbh....
Dave and Rob hardly nailed on either, I cannot get there performance from pro12 final out of my head that easy, a back 3 of isa, Ferg and Zane for me
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Gearzbox2 wrote:
molloyjh wrote:

McGrath Strauss Ross
Toner McCarthy
Ruddock Heaslip SOB

McGrath Sexton
Henshaw Ringrose
Dave Rob Isa

At 10 I see a horses for courses option on the bench between Carbery and Byrne. I'd like to see Byrne get some time over the next 2 months because we needed someone to play a bit of territory on Saturday and he's far more suited to that than Carbery is. But having a guy on the bench that can come on and give us what Carbery can give us would be great. The 23 shirt is a tough one. Kirchner has been good over the last month or so. Not great, but good. And he covers 13, wing and FB. Ferg looked to be in decent form against Treviso and O'Loughlin at this stage should be looking to push for that jersey as well. Hopefully Morris can throw his name into the mix as well there

You are living in the dreamland with that 23....front 5 locked down, come on!!!
Furlong will start, Strauss has been nowhere near good enough the last 6 months, I'd have Cronin/Tracy miles ahead of him, mike Mac has been lumbering around for 3 games in a row now and Mick K is a dead cert with Ross M hot on his heels
Back Row up for dispute as well, when will the time come when JVDF and Leavy and Co are doing enough to keep SOB out
Dave and Rob hardly nailed on either, I cannot get there performance from pro12 final out of my head that easy, a back 3 of isa, Ferg and Zane for me
Huge issues in back three but unlikey to be addressed/resolved this season
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

There'd be good coverage of all positions if it was Carbery (10,15) and McFadden (11,12,13,14) at 22 and 23 respectively, although if it was Ringrose being subbed I think I'd shift Henshaw out to 13, with McFadden coming on at 12.

I don't really see the point in planning for having O'Brien available. How many games has he averaged per season for Leinster over the last three seasons? I'd like the look of a 6. Ruddock, 7. Leavy, 8. Heaslip; 20. Murphy backrow

Think I'd go 11. Kirchner, 14. D. Kearney, 15. Nacewa/R. Kearney in the back three
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

leinsterforever wrote:There'd be good coverage of all positions if it was Carbery (10,15) and McFadden (11,12,13,14) at 22 and 23 respectively, although if it was Ringrose being subbed I think I'd shift Henshaw out to 13, with McFadden coming on at 12.

I don't really see the point in planning for having O'Brien available. How many games has he averaged per season for Leinster over the last three seasons? I'd like the look of a 6. Ruddock, 7. Leavy, 8. Heaslip; 20. Murphy backrow

Think I'd go 11. Kirchner, 14. D. Kearney, 15. Nacewa/R. Kearney in the back three
What about JVDF?
leinsterforever
Mullet

goreyguy wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:There'd be good coverage of all positions if it was Carbery (10,15) and McFadden (11,12,13,14) at 22 and 23 respectively, although if it was Ringrose being subbed I think I'd shift Henshaw out to 13, with McFadden coming on at 12.

What about JVDF?
I really like van der Flier but I could equally ask what about Leavy?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

leinsterforever wrote:
goreyguy wrote:

What about JVDF?
I really like van der Flier but I could equally ask what about Leavy?
JVDF much more proven, leavy not there yet.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Gearzbox2 wrote:You are living in the dreamland with that 23....front 5 locked down, come on!!!
I said the front row was locked down, not the front 5.
Gearzbox2 wrote:Furlong will start,
At no time have we ever seen Furlong ahead of Ross. It will happen, quite possibly this season, but it hasn't yet.
Gearzbox2 wrote:Strauss has been nowhere near good enough the last 6 months,
He was pretty good at the tail end of last season and was our first choice hooker at the time. In fairness though he hasn't played in almost 4 of the last 6 months so.....
Gearzbox2 wrote:mike Mac has been lumbering around for 3 games in a row now and Mick K is a dead cert with Ross M hot on his heels
3 games in a row is more than Mick Kearney has managed. Maccer is limited and I hope to see Kearney overtake him this season, but he looked like he lacked match fitness against Glasgow even more than Maccer did. And he came off the bench. For now Maccer is ahead of him.

Ross Molony is not a TH lock.
Gearzbox2 wrote:Back Row up for dispute as well, when will the time come when JVDF and Leavy and Co are doing enough to keep SOB out
It is pretty close, but as it stands a fully fit SOB is not exactly someone you drop. The question is, can he get back to full fitness.
Gearzbox2 wrote:Dave and Rob hardly nailed on either, I cannot get there performance from pro12 final out of my head that easy, a back 3 of isa, Ferg and Zane for me
Dave gets a huge amount of stick from people despite being a very capable player. And he played well against Glasgow. And if Rob can actually get a run of games I'd be confident he can rediscover some form. Kirchner is hardly the second coming even if he is solid.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

molloyjh wrote:
Gearzbox2 wrote:You are living in the dreamland with that 23....front 5 locked down, come on!!!
I said the front row was locked down, not the front 5.
Gearzbox2 wrote:Furlong will start,
At no time have we ever seen Furlong ahead of Ross. It will happen, quite possibly this season, but it hasn't yet.
Gearzbox2 wrote:Strauss has been nowhere near good enough the last 6 months,
He was pretty good at the tail end of last season and was our first choice hooker at the time. In fairness though he hasn't played in almost 4 of the last 6 months so.....
Gearzbox2 wrote:mike Mac has been lumbering around for 3 games in a row now and Mick K is a dead cert with Ross M hot on his heels
3 games in a row is more than Mick Kearney has managed. Maccer is limited and I hope to see Kearney overtake him this season, but he looked like he lacked match fitness against Glasgow even more than Maccer did. And he came off the bench. For now Maccer is ahead of him.

Ross Molony is not a TH lock.
Gearzbox2 wrote:Back Row up for dispute as well, when will the time come when JVDF and Leavy and Co are doing enough to keep SOB out
It is pretty close, but as it stands a fully fit SOB is not exactly someone you drop. The question is, can he get back to full fitness.
Gearzbox2 wrote:Dave and Rob hardly nailed on either, I cannot get there performance from pro12 final out of my head that easy, a back 3 of isa, Ferg and Zane for me
Dave gets a huge amount of stick from people despite being a very capable player. And he played well against Glasgow. And if Rob can actually get a run of games I'd be confident he can rediscover some form. Kirchner is hardly the second coming even if he is solid.
Fair points there, especially in relation to SOB, don't know if I fully thought that one thru to be honest but his inability to put the games together and other guys playing so well is clouding my judgement!!!!
Can't say I agree with Mike Mc, think he's slipping into the squad player mould, Dev, Mck K and Ross for me...and Strauss just hasn't set the world on fire as well for me, poor in the final, not great in SA and injury prone, I'd be tilting towards Cronin/Tracy
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Updated Squad.

Loosehead Prop
Cian Healy(28)
Jack McGrath(26)
Ed Byrne(22)
Peter Dooley(22)
Andrew Porter(20)(A)

Hooker
Richardt Strauss(30)
Sean Cronin(30)
James Tracy(25)
Bryan Byrne(22)
Sean McNulty(21)(A)

Tighthead Prop
Mike Ross(36)
Michael Bent(30)
Tadhg Furlong(23)
Oisin Heffernan(21)(A)
Jeremy Loughman(21)(A)

Lock
Mike McCarthy(34)
Hayden Triggs(34) - NIQ
Devin Toner(30)
Ian Nagle(27)
Mick Kearney(25)
Ross Molony(22)
David O'Connor(21)(A)
James Ryan(20)(A)

Backrow
Jamie Heaslip(32)
Sean O'Brien(29)
Dominic Ryan(26)
Rhys Ruddock(25)
Jordi Murphy(25)
Jack Conan(24)
Josh Van Der Flier(23)
Dan Leavy(22)
Peadar TImmins(22)(A)
Josh Murphy(21)(A)
Will Connors(20)(A)
Max Deegan(19)(A)

Scrumhalf
Jamie Gibson ParK(24) - NIQ(project)
Luke McGrath(23)
Nick McCarthy(21)(A)
Charlie Rock(21)(A)

Outhalf
Jonathan Sexton(31)
Cathal Marsh(24)
Ross Byrne(21)(A)
Joey Carbery(20)(A)

Centre
Noel Reid(26)
Robbie Henshaw(23)
Tom Daly(23)
Garry Ringrose(21)
Rory O'Loughlin(22)(A)
Conor O'Brien(20)(A)
Jimmy O'Brien(19)(A)

Back Three
Isa Nacewa(34) - NIQ
Zane Kirchner(32) - NIQ
Rob Kearney(30)
Fergus McFadden(30)
Dave Kearney(27)
Barry Daly(25)
Adam Byrne(22)
Bill Dardis(21)
Ian Fitzpatrick(22)(A)
Hugo Keenan(20)(A)
Jack Power(20)(A)
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Real shame to see Morris retire at only 28. Does this mean Barry Daly will get a more permanent deal?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
leinsterforever
Mullet

There are still 11 back three players on the books (or more if O'Loughlin or Conor O'Brien play a bit of wing), so there's probably enough cover. If they did decide to bring someone in, I'd have thought Carr would be the obvious one to look at
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Does anyone know if Ross Byrne has been injured for the start of the season, or is Cathal Marsh just preferred to him on the bench?

It's great to see Carbury putting himself firmly in the seat to be Sextons successor, but I would have hoped Ross Byrne would be able to overtake Marsh and challenge for that spot too, it would be great if they drove each other on to have a really competitive couple of options at 10 behind Sexton.

I don't see Marsh being kept on at this point. Was very good at A level, but I think i've seen enough of him at senior level to know he has a long, long way to go at that level.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
wise7
Beginner

Post by wise7 »

Ross Byrne didn't play today for UCD. Heard he has been injured for past couple of weeks.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Did I miss an announcement of our European squad?

http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/lei ... ?section=3
I have Bumbleflex
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

New website had new stats for players, some of which i'd be skeptical about but here it is.
Most academy profiles aren't working.

Hookers
James Tracy - 6', 106kg
Sean Cronin - 6', 99kg
Byran Byrne - 5'10, 100kg
Richardt Strauss - 5'9, 98kg
Sean McNulty - ?

Props
Mike Ross - 6'2, 124kg
Cian Healy - 6'1, 110kg
Andrew Porter - 6', 125kg
Peter Dooley - 6', 113kg
Tadhg Furlong - 6', 119kg
Jack McGrath - 6', 120kg
Michael Bent - 6', 118kg
Oisin Heffernan - 6', 118kg
Ed Byrne - 5'11, 104kg
Jeremy Loughman - ?

Locks
Devin Toner - 2.11m, 120kg
Hayden Triggs - 6'7, 118kg
Ian Nagle - 6'6, 113kg
Ross Molony - 6'5, 108kg
Mick Kearney - 6'5, 106kg
Mike McCarthy - 6'4, 115kg
David O'Connor - ?
James Ryan - ?

Backrow
Jamie Heaslip - 6'4, 109kg
Jack Conan - 6'4, 108kg
Dominic Ryan - 6'4, 98kg
Dan Leavy - 6'3, 104kg
Rhys Ruddock - 6'3, 103kg
Sean O'Brien - 6'2, 108kg
Jordi Murphy - 6'2, 105kg
Josh Van Der Flier - 6', 105kg
Josh Murphy - ?
Max Deegan - ?
Peadar Timmins - 6'2, 96kg
Will Connors - ?

Scrumhalf
Nick McCarthy - 5'10, 83kg
Luke McGrath - 5'9, 83kg
Jamison Gibson Park - 5'9, 83kg
Charlie Rock - ?

Outhalf
Jonathan Sexton - 6'2, 91kg
Joey Carbery - 6', 85kg
Cathal Marsh - 5'10, 90kg
Ross Byrne - ?

Centre
Tom Daly - 6'4, 101kg
Rory O'Loughlin - 6'2, 94kg
Robbie Henshaw - 6'1, 95kg
Garry Ringrose - 6'1, 91kg
Noel Reid - 6', 91kg
Conor O'Brien - ?
Jimmy O'Brien - ?

Back Three

Adam Byrne - 6'3, 98kg
Rob Kearney - 6'1, 90kg
Zane Kirchner - 6'1, 95kg
Barry Daly - 6', 96kg
Fergus McFadden - 6', 91kg
Hugo Keenan - 6', 90kg
Dave Kearney - 5'11, 85kg
Isa Nacewa - 5'11, 88kg
Billy Dardis - 5'10, 86kg
Terry Kennedy - ?
Ian Fitzpatrick - ?
Jack Power - ?
Last edited by goreyguy on November 30th, 2016, 3:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.