South East bias on show.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Your 1st choice front row for next season

Post by simonokeeffe »

Morf wrote:Byrne Byrne Furlong

South East bias on show.
Clongowes mafia at it again

Think backrow (and 20), halfbacks, centres, all pick themselves, 11 & 15 are a bit of a lock, we probably all want Byrne at 14
Only other debatable unit is second row but McCarthy's uncertain future complicates that
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

If Ross gets dropped to the bench it might hasten his exit, so in the interests of maintaining strength-in-depth for as long as possible it might be best to go 3 Ross, 18 Furlong.

Hopefully Ed Byrne can get an injury-free run next season, because he showed a lot of promise when he got a chance before
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

leinsterforever wrote:If Ross gets dropped to the bench it might hasten his exit, so in the interests of maintaining strength-in-depth for as long as possible it might be best to go 3 Ross, 18 Furlong.

Hopefully Ed Byrne can get an injury-free run next season, because he showed a lot of promise when he got a chance before
I'd use Ross (and MK as a starter) as the away selection so to speak

Ireland need Furlong playing a lot as hes King Tomman now
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

McGrath, Cronin, Furlong

Great running threat from cronin and furlong, plus more scrummaging for Tagdh can only do the lad good in the long run
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I thought Eramus was replacing Foley for next season.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Morf wrote:Byrne Byrne Furlong

South East bias on show.
Clongowes mafia at it again
When are they not? ;)
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I think it is interesting that there wasn't even one option for Healy to choose for. Show's how bad a season he had. He really needs to front next season.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Erasmus will never replace Foley in our hearts or radio ads for chippers

Theres 2 Cian Healys, we want the The Stone Roses era one not the The Second Coming era one, and we cant be sure which one rocks up next season. Plus it would have meant too many poll options
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I think the bench is a lot less straightforward than the starters.
- Dooley has shown he has what it takes and is definitely number two on form this season, but I am sure we are all hoping to get the 2012 Healy back. He's still only 28, so very young for a prop. His conditioning and frame need a rethink.
- At hooker, I would really go horses for courses. If we need a tight and reliable set piece for 80 minutes, there is a strong argument for looking beyond Cronin. By the way, I didn't see many people saying goodbye to Dundon, who is leaving at the end of the season, and who I always thought was an unsung hero and a very reliable performer...possibly our most reliable thrower.
- If Ross starts (and you would hope his re-signing was because he is physically able to), then of course Furlong is on the bench. If Furlong starts, then who do you have as a tighthead sub? Answers on a postcard please.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

I realise that he hasn't been he player he was but we've just signed a first choice Irish and Lions prop on big money 3 year contract. I'm pretty sure he wasn't given a deal like that to be second reserve against the Dragons!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

If Ross is fit he starts the big games. Even lesser games he starts or is not in the 23. He is not an impact player and at his age you would not want to be relying on him coming in after 10 min and seeing out the final 70 after an early injury. We all want the old Healy back and if he returns we have a pretty good front row squad. Without the old Healy we are still fine but go from dynamic to good.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

curates_egg wrote:I think the bench is a lot less straightforward than the starters.
- Dooley has shown he has what it takes and is definitely number two on form this season, but I am sure we are all hoping to get the 2012 Healy back. He's still only 28, so very young for a prop. His conditioning and frame need a rethink.
- At hooker, I would really go horses for courses. If we need a tight and reliable set piece for 80 minutes, there is a strong argument for looking beyond Cronin. By the way, I didn't see many people saying goodbye to Dundon, who is leaving at the end of the season, and who I always thought was an unsung hero and a very reliable performer...possibly our most reliable thrower.
- If Ross starts (and you would hope his re-signing was because he is physically able to), then of course Furlong is on the bench. If Furlong starts, then who do you have as a tighthead sub? Answers on a postcard please.
Ross benches for set piece solidity and there not being anyone else really

Unless Cronin routinely screws the pooch he probably stays ahead of Tracey, that said if Tracey were to take his chances while the hookers with Ireland and were to be kept thats the type of decision you want to see Leo making ie rewarding form

Schmidt will be very keen to get Healy back up to weapons grade so he will be given every chance, even if off the bench
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

tighthead is a concern with Moore leaving and Ross nearing 37.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Schmidt will be very keen to get Healy back up to weapons grade so he will be given every chance, even if off the bench
Hasn't he already being trying all season? He dropped James Cronin to give Healy gametime over the 6 nations only for Healy to give another middling performance. I don't mean to rag on Healy but it's not gametime he needs. I have no idea what he DOES need but I hope the experts we have work it out for next season.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

sunshiner1 wrote:
Hasn't he already being trying all season? He dropped James Cronin to give Healy gametime over the 6 nations only for Healy to give another middling performance. I don't mean to rag on Healy but it's not gametime he needs. I have no idea what he DOES need but I hope the experts we have work it out for next season.
It's obvious what he needs a prolonged break and a proper pre season.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:
he was being constantly rushed back from injuries and tried to be played back to form

hopefully/probably he misses SA tour and has a proper rest & pre season, and then they go again next season
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

goreyguy wrote:tighthead is a concern with Moore leaving and Ross nearing 37.
Tightead is a concern and Ross is slightly more "just turned 36" than he is "nearing 37". He turned 36 under 5 months ago, he will turn 37 more than 7 months from now..
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

fourthirtythree wrote:
goreyguy wrote:tighthead is a concern with Moore leaving and Ross nearing 37.
Tightead is a concern and Ross is slightly more "just turned 36" than he is "nearing 37". He turned 36 under 5 months ago, he will turn 37 more than 7 months from now..
Talk about splitting hairs, when next season starts he will be much closer to 37 than he will 36 and either way he doesn't exactly have long left.