2016 silly season

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

COYBIB
Enlightened

2016 silly season

Post by COYBIB »

I might as well kick this one off early this year, here's a question for you.

Noel Reid on the wing?

He is one of the best naturally gifted running players in the squad, he is a former outhalf and has a decent boot on him, he's very quick, good at finding space and cutting angles, has a very good pass... he just seems physically weak, probably psychologically not big into putting the body on the line, but there's no doubt defensively players are very protected on the wing, usually guarding a narrow alley against usually smaller fellas. Don't get me wrong, you can be made look like a mug on the wing in defence, but if you have that bit of pace and some physicality, you could do a very reasonable job.

The Madigan to scrum-half stuff that went around for a couple of years and was scoffed at until he was actually 3rd choice Irish scrum half at the world cup, then we loose his prodigious talent a season later - we just never found where he fitted into this team. Didn't quite cut it at 10, didn't quite cut it at 12, or at 15.... with the benefit of hindsight, when we were milking the final days out of Boss etc., a masterstroke could have been moving Madigan to 9 after all, despite the non-seriousness the suggestion was taken on here iirc.

Reid's another guy, undoubtedly has a really special talent and a very specific skillset, but the problem has always been trying to find how to fit that into the team, 10 became obvious early on he would never be a quality option at that level, he made a good fist at 12 but his weaknesses were all to glaring... In the interest of making use of what we have, I would experiment next season, use Reid as a winger, similarly to how we one day just decided McFadden was a winger after he showed amazing pace against Racing in one game randomly out on the wing.... to compensate for the reduction of our centre options to THREE players, Fitzgerald could cover midfield more, even though it kills me to do it as he's such a good winger.

The Dave Kearneys and Fergus McFaddens of this world have really just fallen into industrious winger categories at this stage, but those are wingers who are good as squad players only and should only be fillers imo. We need desperately to find some back-three spark. I'm more than happy with Isa and Fitzgerald, I still rate Rob K although nobody else seems to, we've lost Kelleher, we're all hoping Adam Byrne will inject some serious attacking threat next season, but beyond that there's very little coming through right now. I think this is a gamble worth taking.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: 2016 silly season

Post by sunshiner1 »

I think it's an intriguing prospect. His defensive frailties would be less obvious and and you said he's got serious pace. Certainly couldn't hurt to try.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Who plays at 12 when the internationals are away then?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

molloyjh wrote:Who plays at 12 when the internationals are away then?
Tom Daly
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

cormac wrote:
Tom Daly
Ideally but it won't happen.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Worth a shot. Not a far out idea. Madigan to 9 would have taken more time and investment than Reid to the wing. He does look good going forward.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

A few people have suggested this in the past and I don't get it. His biggest strength is his passing and being on the wing would totally negate that. I think he could have made a good fullback but at this stage I think he's probably better off just focusing on 12 and trying to iron out his flaws. If he could get back up to the levels of two years ago and keep them up for a few years then it'd be a massive boost to our squad.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Realistically he is what he is, a good attacker but poor defender. Decent squad player.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Nugget. Would seem consistent with this thread.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

curates_egg wrote:
Nugget. Would seem consistent with this thread.
Touché :happy clapper:
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

There are a few bodies in the academy that need to see some game time.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I would say if we're moving Reid anywhere then fullback, great pace, good counter attacker, can come in as another receiver, and will be called on to make very few tackles especially big units running at him. Plus Isa and ZK gone in a season

Plus a decent sized 12 outside small/inexperienced 10s would be handy
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Reid at 12 for me every time. And watch Madigan blossom in France