Is Jack McGrath currently the best loosehead in the world?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Best Loosehead Prop in the World Right now?

Jack McGrath
84%
The Beast
8%
Gethin Jenkins
No votes
Bob Dwyer is a w@nker
4%
Joe Moody
No votes
Axel Foley
4%

Total votes: 25

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Is Jack McGrath currently the best loosehead in the world?

Post by simonokeeffe »

Is our boy Jack the best right now?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Re: Is Jack McGrath currently the best loosehead in the worl

Post by Xanthippe »

I don't know but Joe Schmidt trusts him so that's good enough for me

Joe just selected his 34th Ireland team and Jack Mc is named for the 33rd time!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Hes currently the best loosehead in Ireland. There are at least three leinster players who are looking to take that title off him though.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

The fact he plays for close on 80 minutes in so many games means he could well become captain. Not sure if he's the best in the world definitely a contender.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I cant think of a better one in Lions catchment or NH (leagues), NZ and Argies have turned over their props, Australia have no contenders
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The range of his skills, combined with his fundamental physique, allied to his constant durability means he is in a very short list and certainly the best of those included in the list.

Absolutely delighted he's Marys, Leinster and Ireland. Certain that if he is available, he'll also become a Lion next Season
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

paddyor wrote:The fact he plays for close on 80 minutes in so many games means he could well become captain. Not sure if he's the best in the world definitely a contender.
In our top 3 players in terms of ability, consistency, performance levels and durability. Never struck me as being a captain though; apart from the example his performances sets, I haven't seen the other attributes you would look for in a captain.
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

Yes.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Ayerza can probably challenge McGrath for aggression and scrummaging but not work rate. Debaty is more physical as a carrier just because of his size, and if Domingo wasn't so injury prone he might be better than McGrath overall, with his fusion of effective ball carrying, scrummaging and low centre of gravity over the ball.

It's probably between Ayerza and McGrath overall.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MrSensible
Learner

Post by MrSensible »

Jack McGrath all the way. Absolutely superb.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Up to about 18 months ago I would say he was very under rated, now he is definitely on a very small shortlist and one of Ireland's key players.

At 26 if he stays clear of injury the sky is the limit in International Rugby terms for Jack.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

bears repeating from last test, top team tackler and top forward carrier in the one game

you can judge playing full 80 as a qualifier on those stats or an achievement in its own right
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

curates_egg wrote:
paddyor wrote:The fact he plays for close on 80 minutes in so many games means he could well become captain. Not sure if he's the best in the world definitely a contender.
In our top 3 players in terms of ability, consistency, performance levels and durability. Never struck me as being a captain though; apart from the example his performances sets, I haven't seen the other attributes you would look for in a captain.
IIRC he's done it through the age grades and for Leinster A. SOmeone who makes the right decisions around the pitch is the main thing you want in a captain.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah I can't think of anyone better. There are probably better scrummagers but his all round game is just great. Plus he comes across as a great guy and we've mutual friends who attest to that.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

No too many better scrummagers among the top 5 loose-heads, although he is rarely as destructive as two Argentinians and one S African who are on that list. But being destructive attracts attention and that is not what the Lions will want against NZ.

He is becoming the next Gethins Jenkins with the same durability, tackling capacity, solid scrummaging but not yet quite the handling skills, his next work-on perhaps?
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

What I really admire in Jack McGrath, is he was coming through when Cian Healy was, at the time, probably the best loose head in the world. His scrummaging was never world class, but he at least held his own more often than not, but everything else about his general play, no other prop in the world made the impact around the field as Healy did, but Jack McGrath didn't see Healy as a blockade to his ambitions of being first choice, let alone Ireland or Lions, and chose to run away "backing himself", he saw Cian Healy as a competitor, someone to aspire to catch and then surpass, and he's done it.

Competition tells you a lot about a player. Madigan didn't like it, his best rugby was when he was coming through under Johnny, but as soon as Johnny left, he crumbled under competition when it was his time to step up and become first choice, first under Gopperth, he looked tense, tried to force things, the kicking style didn't suit his game, he just drowned under the whole game plan, then when Johnny came back, who wasn't the same player and is seriously, seriously beat up, playing on one leg some days, Madigan had a chance to see a wounded world star like Jack McGrath did, and then match them and surpass them... he didn't get there. He's an exciting 10, I think in an environment where the shackles are off and the pressure for the jersey isn't there, he could become a revelation, but just not going to work at Leinster, he's very good in a lot of positions / roles, but just not good enough to be a first choice in any of them. He would fall into the McFadden role of second fiddle for the big games and utility guy the rest of the time. Great squad player for Leinster, but he couldn't force his way past that point here. Guys like Conway and Jones didn't even have the balls to try. They took one look at the competition and went elsewhere.

But Jack McGrath. The traffic in front of him was as daunting and intimidating as anyone, and look at him now.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Jack is already starting to work over his opposition THs.
He'll be the starting Lions prop for sure.
After the Lions series he'll be acknowledged as one of the elite LHs in the world.
The rest of the world see him as a prop with a growing reputation whereas we know better.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Without being overly gushing about everything you could say having to work past and train with Healy and HVDM was good for him, a very standard to aspire too, think moving HVDM (and WDP) were the only bits of pre Nucifora Nuciforness
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Has to be up there. Would be great top see Healy back to his best as it would give Leinster and Ireland a huge advantage. Being able to rotate those two and launch either off the bench would be massive.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Fireworks wrote:Has to be up there. Would be great top see Healy back to his best as it would give Leinster and Ireland a huge advantage. Being able to rotate those two and launch either off the bench would be massive.
plus it would angry the other one up :)

healthy competition is always good (for spurring players on)