Graham Henry to take Consultants role with Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Graham Henry to take Consultants role with Leinster

Post by Dave Cahill »

Leinster hire Graham Henry as coaching consultant

Leo Cullen behind the idea to enhance his own and his coaching team’s development

15 minutes ago
Gavin Cummiskey

Leinster have hired Graham Henry as a coaching consultant. The Irish Times can confirm that the 2011 World Cup -winning New Zealand coach will come to Dublin in August for a fortnight to work alongside Leo Cullen.

Following Leinster’s second trophy-less season in succession, Henry will offer advice about tactical improvements but the sojourn shall primarily focus on continuing the coaching education of Cullen and his young team, which includes Girvan Dempsey (40), John Fogarty (38) and Kurt McQuilkin.

Currently, there is no plan for Henry to take up an assistant coaching role as he did after a similar arrangement with Argentina in 2012.

Cullen is behind the recruitment of Henry. Still only 38, having replaced Jono Gibbes as forwards coach immediately after retiring in May 2014, the three time European Cup winning captain approached Leinster chief executive Mick Dawson and the board with the proposal last April.

The main intention is to ensure his backroom team continue their development as coaches without sacrificing their entire off-season (Dempsey is currently on a coaching expedition to New Zealand, watching how a number of clubs and Super Rugby franchises work).

The provincial board agreed and duly approached Henry, who has already initiated the process by reviewing Leinster’s recent campaign when Cullen was forced to use an unprecedented 56 players.

The IRFU have no direct involvement in the appointment but have been informed.

Leinster will offset the cost of bringing the 70-year-old to Dublin with Henry speaking at corporate events.

This proactive step is in stark contrast to the situation that developed in Munster last season. Anthony Foley was appointed head coach following a breakdown in contract negotiations with Rob Penney, after Munster refused to keep Penney’s assistant Simon Mannix. But within two seasons the fully indigenous backroom ticket was dissolved and accepted as a failed venture.

Only Foley and scrum coach Jerry Flannery were retained following the appointment of Rassie Erasmus as director of rugby. Erasmus will oversee team selection and all on-field coaching, primarily attack, while fellow South African Jacques Nienaber was hand-picked to tighten the Munster defence.
Foley remains the head coach in name but his responsibilities have been curtailed to coaching lineout and breakdown.

This move by Cullen, to learn on the job from an established master, can be seen as a clever attempt to avoid a similar fate.
Leinster have no plans to permanently add to their coaching structures although they are seeking a head of fitness after David Humphreys lured Dan Tobin to Gloucester.

Nor do they envisage appointing a director of rugby-type figure as Guy Easterby, head of operations, covers off field matters like player contracts.
Leinster are also still active in the foreign player market to improve their competitiveness in the Champions Cup. However, the provinces have been met with resistance from IRFU performance director David Nucifora in this regard.

To turn a decent profit Leinster must fill the Aviva Stadium three times a year. They seem guaranteed to entice 30,000-plus for the home Munster fixture and Champions Cup tie in December so every season they need a home quarter-final – half of this gate goes to the IRFU – to make essential financial gains.
Henry will directly coach Leinster players during preseason and while there is scope for him to return in a wider capacity, such a decision rests solely with Cullen.

He has worked on a consultancy basis since Steve Hansen replaced him as All Blacks coach after the 2011 World Cup, even recently crossing codes to assist Auckland’s NRL franchise the Warriors by mentoring under pressure coach Andrew McFadden.

Henry has had a peerless career in rugby union. Initially a teacher then principal with Auckland Grammar (1973-81) and Kelston Boys’ High School (1982-91),
he was one of the games first professional coaches with Auckland (1992-97), which included delivering two Super Rugby titles for the Auckland Blues in 1996 and 1997.

Unsuccessful tour

In 1998 he was appointed head coach of Wales before leading the British and Irish Lions on the ultimately unsuccessful tour of Australia in 2001.
On return home to New Zealand he succeeded John Mitchell as All Black coach and, despite securing a Lions series whitewash (2005), possibly the greatest group of players ever assembled came up short against France in the 2007 World Cup quarter-final.

However, the NZRU broke their usually ruthless protocols by rehiring Henry for another four years, a decision he repaid by delivering the William Webb Ellis trophy, despite losing three outhalves, including Dan Carter, en route to the nervy 8-7 final victory over France at Eden Park.
Having coached New Zealand to 88 wins in 103 Tests for a 85.4 percent win ratio, Henry was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.
The NZRU contracted him for two more years to mentor the next generation of provincial and Super Rugby coaches.
This overlapped with helping Los Pumas develop their attacking style.

Now Leinster hope to mine the unrivalled rugby brain of the Kiwi, known simply as “Ted”, who possesses razor sharp wit.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/p ... -1.2687659
I have Bumbleflex
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Re: Graham Henry to take Consultants role with Leinster

Post by Xanthippe »

Two weeks - seriously? Can Leo and co learn that much in two weeks? Surely a three month sojourn would be more beneficial
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Xanthippe wrote:Two weeks - seriously? Can Leo and co learn that much in two weeks? Surely a three month sojourn would be more beneficial
Was thinking that that's a big fuss for such an insignificant period of time. So much so that I almost wonder if there was a typo/crossed wires and that there'll be regular visits or something.

It also smacks of a PR exercise just to be seen to do something without actually making a material difference.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I dunno, I think its a great bit of business. If he's reviewing last season already hes obviously going to do some kind of needs analysis on the coaching team and help them fill in the blanks when he arrives.
I have Bumbleflex
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Wow great coup by Leinster. If he is already reviewing their season it means it's a bit more than just being there for 2 weeks. Even if not. You can learn a lot in 2 weeks.

Good move by Cullen. Good to see Dempsey is in NZ learning too.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Absolutely delighted, this can only do good. Hopefully we take up the option of holding onto him for a longer period.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Leinster have hired Graham Henry as a coaching consultant.
I can't believe that we are hiring this piece of human ***** as a coach. This is the guy who defended his two players when they went and nearly ended O'Driscoll's career in New Zealand. Even after the video evidence came out he still defended them. To me he is just as culpable as the two thugs on the pitch.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Was excited by the headline but a two week review?
It's like a PR exercise for Leo and Girve.
It's great that we are paying for them to learn on the job how to do jobs they weren't qualified for...
But I would rather we were looking to hire one or two proven coaches.
I don't like what this says about their grasp of the problems facing them.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

No permanent experienced coaches being hired? No skills coach? Its just papering over the cracks imo.
Not encouraging for the short term future of leinster rugby.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

goreyguy wrote:No permanent experienced coaches being hired? No skills coach? Its just papering over the cracks imo.
Not encouraging for the short term future of leinster rugby.
I think thats exactly what Henry is here to sort out. Advise them on what to do or what to hire, "enthuse" :wink: the squad or tailor the game plan/style of play. Could turn out to be a great help.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

If we can transform ourselves in two weeks then rugby is an easier game than I thought. Can't hurt though. Hopefully Henry will be available for more than just preseason. I'm prob more impressed with Girve going to NZ to up his coaching.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Delighted with this news but fascinated with the content of the 'press release' notably:

"The IRFU have no direct involement in the appointment, but have been informed"
"Leinster are still active in the foreign player market.......However the Province have met resistance from......... David Nucifora in this regard"

This is a good move and will be of benefit, even for two weeks. But it would be of infinitely more benefit if they could make it for three months minimum and if this is a financial challenge, there would be external support to meet such costs.

Delighted to hear that Girv is in NZ working with some of their Franchises during the off-season. However, he also needs some time off and real R and R to re-charge his batteries after a very long, pressurised Season in a totally new role.

The suggestion / inference that Guy Easterby might be a suitable candidate for Director of Rugby is a joke. He neither has the skill set nor the experience and is not who we need.

Am amazed that anybody on here doesn't see this as a positive move.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I think people are confusing the length of the engagement with the guys physical location. For example, it says that Henry
already initiated the process by reviewing Leinster’s recent campaign
followed by
he 2011 World Cup -winning New Zealand coach will come to Dublin in August for a fortnight
Thats a longer term than just two weeks.

That what most consultants do, they review all the available material before arriving at the clients location and presenting his findings and solutions
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

It's definitely a very positive move...it's just not as positive as the headline suggests.
Outside voices are clearly badly needed, but I would prefer that we actually recruited a couple. If Henry also has a remit to recommend that, and can help us fill those gaps, then his involvement could be excellent.
I'm just not going to get my hopes up again.

That is a bullish Leinster press release though. From a fans perspective, it does seem like we definitely get treated less sympathetically by the IRFU and it is nice to see us sticking up for ourselves.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

If he could stay for longer itd be amazing, Girv bit is good to hear too

Bar TH I'm puzzled as to what area we are even trying to recruit a johnny foreigner in
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

simonokeeffe wrote:If he could stay for longer itd be amazing, Girv bit is good to hear too

Bar TH I'm puzzled as to what area we are even trying to recruit a johnny foreigner in
An outhalf would be pretty bloody important for when Jonny is with Ireland/injured/being rested.
We already had the perfect replacement for Madigan here...just at the wrong time. Anyone else like that knocking around?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

simonokeeffe wrote:If he could stay for longer itd be amazing, Girv bit is good to hear too

Yeah because the backline is world class...
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

curates_egg wrote:

An outhalf would be pretty bloody important for when Jonny is with Ireland/injured/being rested.
We already had the perfect replacement for Madigan here...just at the wrong time. Anyone else like that knocking around?
It's obvious there won't be a signing at outhalf.. lets just hope Carbery or Byrne can really step up and overtake Marsh.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
That what most consultants do, they review all the available material before arriving at the clients location and presenting his findings and solutions
the solution is relatively easy no?
the coaches need to be better at their jobs or leinster can hire better coaches.

What other solutions can he offer?
Get better players, Leinster are limited in that ability apart from the coaches improving players, again that largely comes down to having better coaches working in leinster.
Change tactics, again down to coaches ability to coach.

What else?
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

goreyguy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
the solution is relatively easy no?
the coaches need to be better at their jobs or leinster can hire better coaches.

What other solutions can he offer?
Get better players, Leinster are limited in that ability apart from the coaches improving players, again that largely comes down to having better coaches working in leinster.
Change tactics, again down to coaches ability to coach.

What else?

He can break down their play this past season and tell them where they were going wrong and why they found it so difficult to score tries at times.

He can advise them to change their attacking structure and implement a NZ one, and clarify the benefits of doing that. A 2-4-2 like Connacht or similar.

He can let them know that their skills need a big improvement and advise them to change the way they train.

Tell them that they should be seeking space rather than contact.

And many other things.