Moderator: moderators

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Re: Graham Henry to take Consultants role with Leinster

Post by goreyguy »

dropkick wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
That what most consultants do, they review all the available material before arriving at the clients location and presenting his findings and solutions
the solution is relatively easy no?
the coaches need to be better at their jobs or leinster can hire better coaches.

What other solutions can he offer?
Get better players, Leinster are limited in that ability apart from the coaches improving players, again that largely comes down to having better coaches working in leinster.
Change tactics, again down to coaches ability to coach.

What else?

He can break down their play this past season and tell them where they were going wrong and why they found it so difficult to score tries at times.

He can advise them to change their attacking structure and implement a NZ one, and clarify the benefits of doing that. A 2-4-2 like Connacht or similar.

He can let them know that their skills need a big improvement and advise them to change the way they train.

Tell them that they should be seeking space rather than contact.

And many other things.
See that all comes back to them being better coaches.. can he really get coaches to improve hugely in a two week period?

Can these coaches really implement a new attacking structure they are unfamiliar with.
Won't mid preseason be a bit late to suddenly decide to change your attacking structure?
Are these coaches not capable of breaking down where they were going wrong last season in attack? if so thats a huge worry.
If they need to be told basics like space = good, contact = bad.. then leinster are in bad shape going forward.

I'm not saying i'm not a fan of this move, I just don't think its enough, leinster need more proven experienced coaches working with the team and academy. Hopefully whatever Henry recommends the leadership of the province follows through on, even if its costly or unpopular.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I'd agree that learning on the job isn't ideal. They've a lot to learn over the summer.

As Gregor Townsend pointed out, playing philosophy is more important than individuals (I'm paraphrasing). If they can change the whole philosophy on how they want to play, they'll be on the right track.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Sounds like a good move. Hopefully Henry's consultancy will lead to better structures being put in place e.g. an new skills coach!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Sometimes just having someone expressly tell you something you already suspect/think can be a good thing

And hey Smiler isnt going to be nice for the sake of it so maybe the set up gets a kick up the backside

On the 10 I can see why we would ask for one but when we have Marsh and Carberry I don't see why it would be a huge deal/why we wouldnt see Luciference coming
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

dropkick wrote:I'd agree that learning on the job isn't ideal. They've a lot to learn over the summer.

As Gregor Townsend pointed out, playing philosophy is more important than individuals (I'm paraphrasing). If they can change the whole philosophy on how they want to play, they'll be on the right track.
Yes but everyone needs to buy into it otherwise it won't work.

It's a brave thing to admit you are out of your depth and need help but I'm not sure what can be done in two weeks without follow up to maintain/ build on it.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

How is the Argentinian consulting he did viewed?

Seemed to be a bit more like several months than two weeks but it did receive good reports which led to TRC wins and then last world cup.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I think this is hugely positive news. While not a panacea there has to be a very solid chance it will lead to improvements and steps in the right direction. That may include kicks up the arse to Leinster/IRFU leading to more coaching appointments which will ameliorate the lack of coaching experience currently in Leinster.

More of this!
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

2 weeks help from Henry in August is not going to change much. I don't expect a lot from our backs next season.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

both the henry news and girve news are very positive imo. pre-season is the time for new ideas and should pay dividends
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I think bringing in an outside voice is positive and shows that the coaches now they need it. Slightly disappointed it's only 2 "physical" weeks, hopefully as Dave says it's a bit more than just that.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Get him signed up on a Gafney deal, pronto.

The lads should use this opportunity to have two weeks to smooch him and get him into the set up fully, even if only as a consultant, but spending a lot of time imparting techniques, expertise, approach with all of the players and staff. It could be a no responsibility mentoring role, on the training pitch, in match preparation but doesn't have to make any calls, no obligations or responsibility.

It would be a pretty cushy role and a massive opportunity for Leinster.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

COYBIB wrote:Get him signed up on a Gafney deal, pronto.

The lads should use this opportunity to have two weeks to smooch him and get him into the set up fully, even if only as a consultant, but spending a lot of time imparting techniques, expertise, approach with all of the players and staff. It could be a no responsibility mentoring role, on the training pitch, in match preparation but doesn't have to make any calls, no obligations or responsibility.

It would be a pretty cushy role and a massive opportunity for Leinster.
+1
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

Fair play to Graham Henry. A nice way to earn a few quid while on holiday!
Bluebulls
Beginner

Post by Bluebulls »

Just a PR stunt. Leo would be better off inviting Joe to come back and help get the team on track
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Bluebulls wrote:Just a PR stunt. Leo would be better off inviting Joe to come back and help get the team on track
How do you know he hadn't been speaking with Joe. I think a fresh perspective could really help Leo out....I hope.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

2 weeks is reasonable to get a picture of skills and be able to come to a few conclusions about feasibility of changes.

You'll get a few insights about players and a chance to back up impressions from an experienced coach

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrSensible
Learner

Post by MrSensible »

domhnallj wrote:
Bluebulls wrote:Just a PR stunt. Leo would be better off inviting Joe to come back and help get the team on track
How do you know he hadn't been speaking with Joe. I think a fresh perspective could really help Leo out....I hope.

I agree. I doubt very much if Leo listens to Joe or anyone for that matter.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Seeing as Joe is one of the reasons why the team is off track.... Thats okay though, he doesn't care about Leinster, hes not supposed to, he's the Irish coach. If it were the right thing for the national team he'd f%~k Leinster over in an instant - it'd be his job to do so.
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

how many weeks is a number of weeks?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon