Moderator: moderators

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Pre Season Fixtures

Post by Xanthippe »

Leinster Rugby Pre-Season Fixtures Confirmed
22 June 2016 11:45
By Marcus Ó Buachalla

Leinster Rugby have this morning confirmed the details of the three pre-season friendlies to be played ahead of the 2016/17 Guinness PRO12 and Champions Cup campaigns.

All three games will be played at home but venues will also include Tallaght Stadium and Navan RFC, as well as the RDS Arena.

The fixture list in full:
  • Leinster Rugby v Ulster Rugby, Saturday 13th August 2016, Navan RFC (Kick Off: 3.00pm)
    Leinster Rugby v Gloucester Rugby, Saturday 20th August 2016, Tallaght Stadium (Kick Off: 3.00pm)
    Leinster Rugby v Bath Rugby, Friday 26th August 2016, RDS Arena (Kick Off: 7.30pm)
It has also been confirmed that after the game against Ulster Rugby in Navan RFC, the Leinster Rugby squad will hold a post-match signing session for those in attendance.

Ulster Rugby finished in the Play-Offs for the Guinness PRO12 last season in Les Kiss' first season in charge and lost out in the Play-Offs to Leinster in the RDS. They have eight players on the Irish squad currently in South Africa including captain Rory Best.

Gloucester Rugby, with former Irish outhalf David Humphreys in place as Director of Rugby, play in the Aviva Premiership and won the European Rugby Challenge Cup as recently as 2014/15. They have international players of the caliber of James Hook, Richard Hibbard, Greig Laidlaw, Jonny May and Billy Twelvetrees in their squad and have also recently announced the signing of Leinster Head of Fitness Dan Tobin as well as second row Tom Denton.

Bath Rugby also play in the Aviva Premiership and were in Leinster's Champions Cup Pool last season beating Leinster in the game at the Recreation Ground, before Leinster got the upper hand in the return fixture after Christmas. Bath also have a host of household names in their squad including George Ford, Francois Louw, Jonathan Joseph and Anthony Watson.

With the Champions Cup draw taking place next Wednesday 29th June and with the Guinness PRO12 fixtures to be announced a few weeks later, the 2016/17 season is taking shape.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/15030.php#.V2p3mhJF9EE
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Pre Season Fixtures

Post by simonokeeffe »

who was asking for higher calibre pre season games? they got their wish :D
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

simonokeeffe wrote:who was asking for higher calibre pre season games? they got their wish :D
Graham Henry?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:who was asking for higher calibre pre season games? they got their wish :D
Graham Henry?
:lol:

his impact is being felt already
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Wonder if the game in the RDS will have free admission for STH's?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The Navan announcement is great news, good way to spread the love other than training sessions.
Wonder why did they choose Navan particularly? What are the facilities like up there?
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

cormac wrote:Wonder if the game in the RDS will have free admission for STH's?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

I reckon it's quite the opposite. An additional home game with a big attendance to try and boost the coffers.

Exciting pre-season fixture list.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I don't see there being a big attendance - to see one of Englands worst top level teams in a pre-season game? We found it hard enough to draw a crowd to see them in a European Cup game.

What it might do is free up a fixture that can be moved to the Aviva.
I have Bumbleflex
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Wonder why did they choose Navan particularly? What are the facilities like up there?
I'd imagine that it was chosen as it is an easy enough commute for the Ulster fan's as well as us.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Game against Bath has been moved to Donnybrook.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

wixfjord wrote:The Navan announcement is great news, good way to spread the love other than training sessions.
Facilities are ok. Will have to be temporary stands I imagine.

Navan announcement is fantastic. All provinces should try every few years to play a pre season game in new location as can help attract new people to games. Same reasoning behind playing A games in different locations...
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

ormond lad wrote:
wixfjord wrote:The Navan announcement is great news, good way to spread the love other than training sessions.

Navan announcement is fantastic. All provinces should try every few years to play a pre season game in new location as can help attract new people to games. Same reasoning behind playing A games in different locations...
Yeah, if we play Connacht then Longfords excellent facilities would be perfect!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

ormond lad wrote:

I'll be at the game in Navan for sure. I've been calling for Leinster to bring a game down here for years.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

COYBIB wrote:
I reckon it's quite the opposite. An additional home game with a big attendance to try and boost the coffers.

Exciting pre-season fixture list.
Boost the coffers? Err I'd say they barely cover their costs of hosting (security etc).
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

One thing that worries me about moving the game to Navan is that despite coming under pressure from the Branch, Cheika, Schmidt and O'Connor all refused to move games like this as they thought they were a complete waste of time with no benefit.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:One thing that worries me about moving the game to Navan is that despite coming under pressure from the Branch, Cheika, Schmidt and O'Connor all refused to move games like this as they thought they were a complete waste of time with no benefit.
Why does that worry you?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:One thing that worries me about moving the game to Navan is that despite coming under pressure from the Branch, Cheika, Schmidt and O'Connor all refused to move games like this as they thought they were a complete waste of time with no benefit.
Why does that worry you?
Because it could indicate that the current coach isn't strong or secure enough in his position to resist

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Why does that worry you?
Because it could indicate that the current coach isn't strong or secure enough in his position to resist

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
It could, or it could indicate that Leo/others within the branch believe that there's value to a game like this. Why jump to being worried about a hypothetical scenario straight away? Confirmation bias at its finest surely?

Do you think there's value to it?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:
It could, or it could indicate that Leo/others within the branch believe that there's value to a game like this. Why jump to being worried about a hypothetical scenario straight away? Confirmation bias at its finest surely?

Do you think there's value to it?
I think (actually to be accurate, I know...) that people who know far more than me, and who are far more successful as coaches than Leo, think there is no value to it, that its a total waste of time and effort and money, that it is detrimental to the teams chances and only serves to stroke local egos.

I'm not jumping to being worried about it straight away, for me its the latest in a series of worrying indications.
I have Bumbleflex