Academy 2016/2017

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Academy 2016/2017

Post by hugonaut »

riocard911 wrote:
The Experiment seems to going well - courtesy of the42.ie: "... It got even better for Andy Skehan’s charges on the half hour mark, Leinster prop Andrew Porter winning a scrum penalty and a quick tap saw number 8 Timmins barge over for a converted try. ..."
Good news, not too surprising through. As I have written before [and apologies for repeating myself], he has the physical size, the build, the massive strength and the competitive mindset to make an outstanding tighthead. There are far fewer props who have the tools to play professionally at tighthead than there are at loosehead; Porter is one of them. He ticks so many boxes already, the only major one that remains is technique. Difficult to imagine a better mentor than Mike Ross in that regard.

Guys like John Ryan and Finlay Bealham have converted from left to right and played test rugby, and with due respect to them, neither of them was anything like the physical specimen [or all round prop, for that matter] that Porter is at a comparable age, i.e. whatever age he is now.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Xanthippe wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:Anybody hear about an Ireland U-19's squad being named? Just got a text regarding one of the players but can't find an announcement!
Tweet this morning from @BHHooker suggested team would be announced in 'a few days' - he's generally very well up on underage rugby info
pretty hit and miss.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

goreyguy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:Porter to Tighthead confirmed then?

Finish off the season at 3 with UCD, get some B&I exposure there at the start of next season and throw him into it during the 6 nations window next year? Maybe spend a summer picking Rossys brains

I did think it was strange he was put straight to a senior contract, I assume moving to 3 was the conditions for it.

Hopefully he can replicate Furlongs meteoric rise
He played in school as a 3, it was only a year ago or so that he switched - think that was to accommodate Loughman.
Porter played loosehead in 6th year at Andrews.. which was 3 years ago and hasnt played TH since to the best of my knowledge..

So unless he played TH pre 6th year...
Yep, he played SCT at TH in 2013.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Yep, he played SCT at TH in 2013.
Ah right. Good to know.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Flash Gordon wrote:Anybody hear about an Ireland U-19's squad being named? Just got a text regarding one of the players but can't find an announcement!
It wont be announced until after the SC final on Friday to give those guys playing a chance. There is an under 19 test against Japan on the 25th
http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/39209.php#.WMf2jm-LTcs
Then a couple of under 19 tests in France during April I hear.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Speaking of IQ tightheads, Oli Jager made his crusaders debut last weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfEc6sqbCw8

There's scrum at 1.33 of him and the pack destroying the reds.

Surely the IRFU will be doing their utmost to get him back to these shores?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Leinster u20's in Irish team:

2. Tadgh McElroy(Leinster)
3. Charlie Connolly(Leinster)
5. Oisin Dowling(Leinster)
7. Paul Boyle(Leinster)
8. Caelan Doris(Leinster)
12. Ciaran Frawley(Leinster)
13. Gavin Mullin(Leinster)
14. Tommy O'Brien(Leinster)
15. Jordan Larmour(Leinster)
16. Ronan Kelleher(Leinster)
17. Greg McGrath(Leinster)
19. Jack Regan(Leinster)
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Greg McGrath(LH Prop) - unlikely to get an academy position at this time.
Rory Mulvihill(LH Prop) - unlikely to get an academy position at this time.
Charlie Connolly(TH Prop) - likely to get an academy position at this time.
Tadgh McElroy(Hooker) - likely to get an academy position at this time.
Oisin Dowling(Lock) - likely to get an academy position at this time.
Jack Regan(Lock) - hard to call, leaning toward likely at this time.
Paul Boyle(Backrow) - unlikely to get an academy position at this time.
Ciaran Frawley(Centre/Outhalf) - likely to get an academy position at this time.
Gavin Mullin(Centre) - hard to call, leaning toward likely at this time.
Jordan Larmour(Wing/Fullback) - in academy.
Jack Kelly(Fullback/Centre) - unclear if already in academy or not, will join if not.
Ronan Kelleher(Hooker) - will probably have to wait.
Caelan Doris(Backrow) - likely to get an academy position at this time.
Conor Dean(Outhalf) - will probably have to wait.
Tommy O'Brien(Centre/Wing) - likely to get an academy position at this time.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

anyone care to share an opinion on how the u20's have gotten on? who impressed you etc.?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Larmour and Dorris looked great. Future stars. Had not seen Larmor previously and was expecting a Shane Williamslike figure. Tough lad though and a lot chunkier than I expected. Dorris looked pure class and so young. Can play 20s again next year. Nash from Munster looked class too.

Didn't see the Scotland or Italy games.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Tommy O'Brien seems to be a bit of a wonderkid.

I know he missed the SCT with injury (broken leg?) but he seems the full package. 6' and 87kgs according to UR so I assume he can pack another 5kgs on to help him out.

Very good feet, very good hands, and a good knack for scoring tries.

His cover tackle against the French was a thing of beauty
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Doris is youngest player in squad if I remember right.. obviously an excellent prospect as either a 6 or an 8.
Both hookers are very good prospects and the best that leinster have produced in the position in a long time.
Didn't see enough of Mulvihill or McGrath.
Connolly was a big surprise and has been very impressive.
Last edited by goreyguy on March 20th, 2017, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Gavin Mullins had a particularly good second half I thought
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

johng wrote:Larmour and Dorris looked great. Future stars. Had not seen Larmor previously and was expecting a Shane Williamslike figure. Tough lad though and a lot chunkier than I expected. Dorris looked pure class and so young. Can play 20s again next year. Nash from Munster looked class too.

Didn't see the Scotland or Italy games.
Larmour's bulked up alright. He played SCT on the Andrew's semi final team when he was in Transition Year (and also won an All Ireland hockey title) but was injured through 5th - think he did his cruciate and did a lot of gym work while in rehab. He's small but very strong and has incredible gas.
Last edited by Flash Gordon on March 20th, 2017, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Larmour is quality. He's got serious pace, but you can see he has a rugby brain too, takes some very good lines that he accelerates into.
I'd love to see him get a Pro12 game or two at the start of next year.

Tommy O'Brien was the other stand out for me in the backs, although he looks a wee bit further off first team action from the naked eye. Great talent though. The tackle he put in during the French game was brilliant.

Dorris is an impressive specimen too. Looks more of a 6 than 8 to me.

And McElroy was the other guy to impress from a Leinster POV I think. Didn't know much about him at all before tournament but he looks to have a lot about him, and a bit of madness too which is always good for a hooker.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Any thoughts on Frawley at 12?

Seeing he has primarly been a 10 upto this point, I thought he did well and improved game by game.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

There's lots that impresses me about Larmour, but what stands out the most is his ability to get out of trouble and turn a potentially bad situation into a good one. On a good few occasions he goes across the field looking for a gap and you think he's going down a blind alley and going to get smashed, but he just steps off either foot and bursts through the would be tacklers and gains a couple of yards that enables his support players to help him out. It's the single biggest reason I think he's ready for Pro12 rugby already.

It also means he's a constant threat because he knows that he can get out of trouble if it doesn't work out.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

goreyguy wrote:anyone care to share an opinion on how the u20's have gotten on? who impressed you etc.?
I thought that they were the better team against England and should have won that game. Against Wales they were second best on both sides - attack [marginally] and defense [massively]. With regards to the English game, we should clearly have been the beneficiaries of a yellow card for – that foot-trip off the scrum close to the English goal-line was a cast-iron yellow and I believe it would have made a significant difference to the game. We were so close to taking that one despite conceding a really soft second try.

From a Leinster perspective, the standouts for me were the obvious ones – Larmour, Doris, Connelly and Tommy O'Brien.

To me, Larmour looks like a pro already. He hasn't matched the try-scoring exploits of Andrew Conway back in 2010 and 2011, but he's as good a runner, has better handling skills and is more powerful. He's a hugely exciting player and looks ready to make the step up to Pro12 as required – the sooner the better in my point of view.

Connelly looks like a natural-born tighthead to me – a big strong man! Very good around the pitch for a big heavy guy as well. I understand that he wasn't a big star at schoolboy level, which makes his performances that little bit more surprising and impressive.

The other two lads are U19s and were really impressive, especially so for guys playing a year above their grade.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

hugonaut wrote:
goreyguy wrote:anyone care to share an opinion on how the u20's have gotten on? who impressed you etc.?
I thought that they were the better team against England and should have won that game. Against Wales they were second best on both sides - attack [marginally] and defense [massively]. With regards to the English game, we should clearly have been the beneficiaries of a yellow card for – that foot-trip off the scrum close to the English goal-line was a cast-iron yellow and I believe it would have made a significant difference to the game. We were so close to taking that one despite conceding a really soft second try.

From a Leinster perspective, the standouts for me were the obvious ones – Larmour, Doris, Connelly and Tommy O'Brien.

To me, Larmour looks like a pro already. He hasn't matched the try-scoring exploits of Andrew Conway back in 2010 and 2011, but he's as good a runner, has better handling skills and is more powerful. He's a hugely exciting player and looks ready to make the step up to Pro12 as required – the sooner the better in my point of view.

Connelly looks like a natural-born tighthead to me – a big strong man! Very good around the pitch for a big heavy guy as well. I understand that he wasn't a big star at schoolboy level, which makes his performances that little bit more surprising and impressive.

The other two lads are U19s and were really impressive, especially so for guys playing a year above their grade.
Wondering your opinion on Dowling/Regan, Frawley & McElroy?
wwed
Learner

Post by wwed »

Larmour is obvious stand-out.
Doris got size, strength and workrate, although suspect end-up as a 6.
McElroy strong, decent darts and good attitude. Think he'll come through at pro level.
Connolly good at set piece - not sure how well he can operate around pitch but we'll see
Boyle did well at 7 and got better as tournament went on, although may not be dynamic enough
Dowling and Regan both good workrate and skills, just not sure they've size for pro level, but time will tell
Frawley a bit disappointing for me, but accept that he was new to 12
Mullin had good game versus England, but maybe a bit one-dimensional
Kelly didn't do much in time on pitch, but has obviously earned respect of coaches already
Kelleher looks dynamic with ball, another serious hooker prospet