Academy 2016/2017

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

tones
Shane Jennings

Re: Academy 2016/2017

Post by tones »

The academy has been very good at responding to problems in senior ranks.
We had a paucity with props so the academy went to work...with an incredibly superior response.
The 2nd row caused problems. Route 6'6 was launched. We're starting to see the positive results form that. Its a pity that we couldn't maintain the outside back conveyor belt though, although you have to recognise Luukes retirement, Kelliher's defection as well. I maintain a lot of hope for Adam Byrne but the salaries on offer from AP clubs for Academy and post-academy contracts will cause issues,
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Tough to convince guys to put in that much effort when the possibility of success is so low. Might be good to make it a turn you into a professional bootcamp. Train them for the summer to get conditioned and build on the skills so that they might reach a level where they could play pro somewhere while we still take the cream from the top. That way they are getting a shot at more than just the academy spots.
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

I think there is too much expectation on here that the academy can produce the players.
The talent is either there or it isn't, right now it isn't. But things can change very quickly and hopefully so.
In the short to medium term we are going to have to replace Kirchner/Nacewa with somebody decent and hope some players appear.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

think there is too much expectation on here that the academy can produce the players.
The talent is either there or it isn't, right now it isn't. But things can change very quickly and hopefully so.
In the short to medium term we are going to have to replace Kirchner/Nacewa with somebody decent and hope some players appear.
I as always am optimistic. 8) I think we have a serious crop of players coming in to join us in year 1 and with the right nurturing could be serious contenders for first XV places sooner rather than later.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

sunshiner1 wrote:
think there is too much expectation on here that the academy can produce the players.
I as always am optimistic. 8) I think we have a serious crop of players coming in to join us in year 1 and with the right nurturing could be serious contenders for first XV places sooner rather than later.
Minis rugby exploded about 10 years ago on the back of HEC success, Triple Crowns and the cult of BOD/ROG/POC/Wally/Darce/ Shaggy, Ferris

Those extra numbers feeding in the top are now going to start paying big dividends at the pointy end. We'd have to be very unlucky not to see an extra infusion of 20 year old talent every year for at least the next 10. Enough to find one pro ready talent every year who belongs at Leinster level from the start. The conveyor belt got a lot bigger.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

sunshiner1 wrote:
I as always am optimistic. 8) I think we have a serious crop of forwards coming in to join us in year 1 and with the right nurturing could be serious contenders for first XV places sooner rather than later.
Fixed that.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Interesting to see both Thornbury and Brewer have gone down to NZ for the year. Brewer has been changed back into a loose forward with the Manawatu Turbos, a very decent club team....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/prov ... se-forward

Be interesting to see how he develops over the coming year or two as a flanker/ no.8 like his father!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

erskinechilders wrote:Interesting to see both Thornbury and Brewer have gone down to NZ for the year. Brewer has been changed back into a loose forward with the Manawatu Turbos, a very decent club team....

Be interesting to see how he develops over the coming year or two as a flanker/ no.8 like his father!
Think Brewer gone for good

Makes sense for Thornbury & Leinster, big queue in front this season, following season at least four really good locks in front of him
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

simonokeeffe wrote:
erskinechilders wrote:Interesting to see both Thornbury and Brewer have gone down to NZ for the year. Brewer has been changed back into a loose forward with the Manawatu Turbos, a very decent club team....

Think Brewer gone for good

Makes sense for Thornbury & Leinster, big queue in front this season, following season at least four really good locks in front of him
Thornbury back with UCD in September
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Connacht have announced there academy with a very small intake this year. (Only 5). What caught my eye is this though
20-year-old wing Adam Leavy joins the Connacht Academy from Dublin. The former St Michaels College student was brought into the sub Academy at the beginning of last season and featured for the Connacht Eagles in the British & Irish Cup.

• Adam Leavy Wing Galwegians RFC
Anyone know anything about this Leavy chap? With us needing pacey wingers I'd be pretty depressed if Connacht nabbed another prospect from under our noses. :( :(
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

sunshiner1 wrote:Connacht have announced there academy with a very small intake this year. (Only 5). What caught my eye is this though
20-year-old wing Adam Leavy joins the Connacht Academy from Dublin. The former St Michaels College student was brought into the sub Academy at the beginning of last season and featured for the Connacht Eagles in the British & Irish Cup.

• Adam Leavy Wing Galwegians RFC
Anyone know anything about this Leavy chap? With us needing pacey wingers I'd be pretty depressed if Connacht nabbed another prospect from under our noses. :( :(
younger brother of Dan Leavy, starting wing for Leinster u20 in 2014.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I dont know a whole heap but we picked the guys ahead of him at Ireland u20 level who are selected by the head of Connacht's academy so I wouldnt wet the bed over this one
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

simonokeeffe wrote:I dont know a whole heap but we picked the guys ahead of him at Ireland u20 level who are selected by the head of Connacht's academy so I wouldnt wet the bed over this one
he wasn't eligible for Ireland u20 this year so Keenan wasn't picked ahead of him.

he was eligible last year, and we didn't take a wing into the academy from the 1995 age group.

leinster didn't offer him an academy place, he went to Galway as he had a sub academy place and after a year he earned a full academy place.. it wouldn't surprise me if he was a success, Connacht have a good recent record in their evaluation of back three talent and have shown the ability to develop players in the back three.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

he wasn't eligible for Ireland u20 this year so Keenan wasn't picked ahead of him.

he was eligible last year, and we didn't take a wing into the academy from the 1995 age group.

leinster didn't offer him an academy place, he went to Galway as he had a sub academy place and after a year he earned a full academy place.. it wouldn't surprise me if he was a success, Connacht have a good recent record in their evaluation of back three talent and have shown the ability to develop players in the back three.
Oh good I'm even more depressed now. :( Time will tell I suppose but Connacht only bringing in five players and deeming him worthy of one of them makes me think we've missed another rough diamond.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:

Oh good I'm even more depressed now. :( Time will tell I suppose but Connacht only bringing in five players and deeming him worthy of one of them makes me think we've missed another rough diamond.
Well he still didnt make Ireland u20s under Carolan and thats easier to get into than Leinster academy so thats a cause for less pessimism. Carolan picked Dardis ahead of him in the back 3 whom we already have on our books
Interesting if Leavy wasnt even offered a Leinster sub academy place

Plus theyre reduced to signing 27 year old kiwis from Ireland 7s set up too :-p

Also worth remembering Connacht have lost their backs coach too
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Well he still didnt make Ireland u20s under Carolan and thats easier to get into than Leinster academy so thats a cause for less pessimism. Carolan picked Dardis ahead of him in the back 3 whom we already have on our books.

Interesting if Leavy wasn't even offered a Leinster sub academy place

Plus they're reduced to signing 27 year old kiwis from Ireland 7s set up too :-p

Also worth remembering Connacht have lost their backs coach too
All good points. We'll have to see. 8)
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

sunshiner1 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that as a middle aged, borderline obese ex Andrews prop if I moved to Galway goreyguy would bemoan the talent drain and talk up the coaching of young backs.
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

I've just realized being an exAndrews prop is in the process of being made less embarrassing! Still not sure how that happened!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

neilinboston wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that as a middle aged, borderline obese ex Andrews prop if I moved to Galway goreyguy would bemoan the talent drain and talk up the coaching of young backs.
Good school Neil....what year?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

neilinboston wrote:I've just realized being an exAndrews prop is in the process of being made less embarrassing! Still not sure how that happened!
As an Ex Andrews scrumhalf from the 90's I never realised we even had props. :D
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup