Congratulations to Max Deegan - WORLD RUGBY PLAYER OF THE TO

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Congratulations to Max Deegan - WORLD RUGBY PLAYER OF THE TO

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Congrats to Max Deegan on the excellent achievement of being nominated and selected as Player of the Tournament in the Junior World Championship. He deserved the accolade for his performances in the Pool games and Semi-final and, in particular from an Irish perspective, for his development and hard work since the 6N championship.

As a Schools player, he was an occasional superstar. Since those days he has added consistency and bravery to his armoury and now works hard throughout the game for team and team-mates.

Irish players have been nominated previously, but none have been selected. All Leinster should be delighted for his success.

Well done Max.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Re: Congratulations to Max Deegan - WORLD RUGBY PLAYER OF TH

Post by COYBIB »

He has had a stunning competition, but sometimes these open vote things make it less about the achievement and more about online polls, which us Irish have a knack of influencing.

I thought Malindar was head and shoulders deserving of the award for what it's worth, but Deegan certainly looked like a level above all else in nearly all the games.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
MrSensible
Learner

Post by MrSensible »

A fantastic achievement for him. Well done.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

COYBIB wrote:He has had a stunning competition, but sometimes these open vote things make it less about the achievement and more about online polls, which us Irish have a knack of influencing.

I thought Malindar was head and shoulders deserving of the award for what it's worth, but Deegan certainly looked like a level above all else in nearly all the games.
Well they shouldn't have voted to exit the EU.

Happy for Max

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Congratulations to Max Deegan - WORLD RUGBY PLAYER OF THE TO

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

OK,

I’m sure I’m not the only one who recognises just how good Max Deegan is but with Doris and Conan being exceptional at both 8 and 6, Baird being an exceptional potential 6 and Culhane looking to climb the ranks could Max be reinvented as a 7?

I never played to a high level in the back row so my question is what is the obvious reason for Max not to convert to 7? He’s fast about the pitch, he can link well, he’s a decent jackeller and he can definitely read a game. On top off that he’s also an excellent lineout option on both throws.

I know I’ve not name checked RR, but I think he’s probably on his last season or two and I’d have Deegan higher in the pecking order…
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 28th, 2023, 1:26 pm OK,

I’m sure I’m not the only one who recognises just how good Max Deegan is but with Doris and Conan being exceptional at both 8 and 6, Baird being an exceptional potential 6 and Culhane looking to climb the ranks could Max be reinvented as a 7?

I never played to a high level in the back row so my question is what is the obvious reason for Max not to convert to 7? He’s fast about the pitch, he can link well, he’s a decent jackeller and he can definitely read a game. On top off that he’s also an excellent lineout option on both throws.

I know I’ve not name checked RR, but I think he’s probably on his last season or two and I’d have Deegan higher in the pecking order…
I was thinking Baird should have a go at 7, he's taller than a typical 7 but he has the speed and jackalling game and covers the ground well. The way we use our 7 in the lineout as a passer might be the only problem with it but I think its something we should consider.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Longtime fan. My mates are still pulling the mick because I predicted he would be a bolter for the World Cup. In 2019.

Would moving to 7 improve the situation for him? We've VDF, Penny and Connors. He's not really a jackaller or a link-man. He also looks to have lost some pace, which is not surprising after all the injuries he's had.

There's a lot of traffic everywhere in the back row unfortunately. Blindside is the only place where there is no out-and-out expert in possession - Ruddock is the only established expert blindside - and where the pecking order still seems open. We're picking out of position 8s in our biggest games; people are convinced Baird is the long-term option there, but I'm not convinced. If he was going to reinvent himself and focus on a position other than 8, it would be there I would look at.

I think there is a fairly large risk we lose him to Ulster though.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

My recollection is that he made a pretty good fist of it when he started three games in a row at 7 in '18/'19 (against Zebre, Kings and Cheetahs).

I was thinking during the Munster match who do you want coming off the bench as a backrower in a really big match and it's Deegan. He has the right mix of rugby IQ, athleticism/dynamism and skill to see how a game's going and identify how he can make an impact. Twice in three seasons Baird has come on as a backrower against La Rochelle and made little impression. I'd like to see Deegan get the #20 jersey (assuming a 5/3 split) for the biggest games.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

curates_egg wrote: November 28th, 2023, 1:51 pm

Longtime fan. My mates are still pulling the mick because I predicted he would be a bolter for the World Cup. In 2019.

Would moving to 7 improve the situation for him? We've VDF, Penny and Connors. He's not really a jackaller or a link-man. He also looks to have lost some pace, which is not surprising after all the injuries he's had.

There's a lot of traffic everywhere in the back row unfortunately. Blindside is the only place where there is no out-and-out expert in possession - Ruddock is the only established expert blindside - and where the pecking order still seems open. We're picking out of position 8s in our biggest games; people are convinced Baird is the long-term option there, but I'm not convinced. If he was going to reinvent himself and focus on a position other than 8, it would be there I would look at.

You weren't that far off he played in the 2020 6N which was disrupted by Covid and had a season ender in the first game of the following season.

He's been an important player for Leinster, looked good on the Emerging Ireland tour and was capped last season. He's doing well, there are a ot of good backrows who should be getting more gametime, not only at Leinster.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

He got capped as recently as the Fiji game a year ago. He's a quality player, one who I would have zero concerns about him starting big European games for Leinster.

For me, he's the third best 8 in the country, he's just really unlucky the top two are both ahead of him at Leinster.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

FtD wrote: November 28th, 2023, 2:46 pm He got capped as recently as the Fiji game a year ago. He's a quality player, one who I would have zero concerns about him starting big European games for Leinster.

For me, he's the third best 8 in the country, he's just really unlucky the top two are both ahead of him at Leinster.
I suspect he'll get plenty of chances to impress again this year.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

curates_egg wrote: November 28th, 2023, 1:51 pm

Yeah, we’re stacked at 7 too.

What’s his passing from the base like?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

It has looked to me since the start of this season, that the management are in the process of replacing Ruddock with Deegan, and that the latter is gonna be the number one choice at 6 for the foreseeable future. Good luck to him.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

riocard911 wrote: November 28th, 2023, 3:18 pm It has looked to me since the start of this season, that the management are in the process of replacing Ruddock with Deegan, and that the latter is gonna be the number one choice at 6 for the foreseeable future. Good luck to him.
Good call I think.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

riocard911 wrote: November 28th, 2023, 3:18 pm It has looked to me since the start of this season, that the management are in the process of replacing Ruddock with Deegan, and that the latter is gonna be the number one choice at 6 for the foreseeable future. Good luck to him.
Ahead of whichever one of Conan and Doris gets shifted to blindside?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Deegan had 10 starts at 8 last season, 3 at 6. He's still mostly an 8.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Well, wherever he plays he’s f%~king deadly 💀
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 28th, 2023, 11:44 pm Well, wherever he plays he’s f%~king deadly 💀
:happy clapper:
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

offshorerules wrote: November 29th, 2023, 7:26 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 28th, 2023, 11:44 pm Well, wherever he plays he’s f%~king deadly 💀
:happy clapper:
+1
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

The chianti moonboot of rugby players.