European Rugby Champions Cup

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

COYBIB
Enlightened

Re: European Rugby Champions Cup

Post by COYBIB »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Given the importance of the back-to-back Christmas fixture in the Aviva to our finances, I'd expect us to lobby broadcasters hard for N'hampton as December fixtures, commencing only a fortnight after the 4th and final weekend of Autumn internationals (which terrestial broadcasters have).
Agree 100%. There's a good bit of history there, their players are better known over here, their fans will travel, it's the big money game for sure.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The re-signing of a Niall Morris has panicked Montpellier into reacting by signing Joe Tomane.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:The re-signing of a Niall Morris has panicked Montpellier into reacting by signing Joe Tomane.
Did you mean: Joe Ptomaine?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

?
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:The re-signing of a Niall Morris has panicked Montpellier into reacting by signing Joe Tomane.
:)

Heres hoping the defrancification of their team leads to fan revolt and turmoil

The release/general spurning of academy players has been highly unpopular there according to French press, academy was a source of (fan) pride
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:?
He's poison!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

this may be in another thread (as well as twitter) but following on from Virgin stopping offering BT/Eir sports on their platform it looks like Sky doing the same thing, cant find a mention of Eir/BT as an ad on on their site

Eir will do sky tv but depending where you live (even close to city centre) their BB is pants, 5 mb, so looks like going to be harder and harder to follow the games and arguments for single broadcaster increases

but basically f BT & PRL
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:this may be in another thread (as well as twitter) but following on from Virgin stopping offering BT/Eir sports on their platform it looks like Sky doing the same thing, cant find a mention of Eir/BT as an ad on on their site
There never was, you always had to go through Setanta to get Setanta on sky

https://subscribe.eirsport.ie
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:this may be in another thread (as well as twitter) but following on from Virgin stopping offering BT/Eir sports on their platform it looks like Sky doing the same thing, cant find a mention of Eir/BT as an ad on on their site
There never was, you always had to go through Setanta to get Setanta on sky

https://subscribe.eirsport.ie
Ahhhhh

Never had to look before

Last few times I checked broadband & sky sports bundle on sky more expensive than virgin because you have to get a landlinr for the bb
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

It's worth looking at keeping the UPC BB and phone and getting sky just for telly.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Or just getting on of those (semi) dodgey boxes for TV
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:It's worth looking at keeping the UPC BB and phone and getting sky just for telly.
Cheers, will investigate that further
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

johng wrote:Or just getting on of those (semi) dodgey boxes for TV
Have these not gone the way of the dodo or is there a new lot of them doing the rounds?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:It's worth looking at keeping the UPC BB and phone and getting sky just for telly.
E150 a year extra for the privelege of paying for BT

Think vodafone for sky sports, bt, and bt comes in at e125 a month if you can get it
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

johng wrote:Or just getting on of those (semi) dodgey boxes for TV
I thought the day of dodgy boxes was well and truly over? My god I got serious millage out of mine, god bless analogue, however I'm acutely aware that I am part of the problem by not paying for subscriptions to watch Irish provinces and thus not putting value on TV deals, so if I was going to subscribe, it would be to Sky Sports for the Pro12 games and not BT for the Champions Cup games. I couldn't justify it to myself, under any circumstances, to support the Nigel Wray Project.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Jeez lads. Get with the now. There are a stack of set top boxes now that give you all of the channels for either free or v cheap

Basically they are running android or raspberry pi or some such and are "front ends" for streaming and various semi legal practices.

So if you are used to Sky HD quality you will likely be disappointed. But if you can put up with this and "Quirky" (Read sh1t) interfaces then they are fine. (And you get ALL the sports channels etc.)

Thinking about changing to Sky Q myself. According to the website it will give me all the same stuff I have (Multiroom, HD, Sky Sports) plus all the new fangled stuff (fluid viewing, pause and resume in different rooms, record 5 programs while watching a 6th, etc. etc.) and cost me 2 bucks a month less if I sign up for 18 months.

Admittedly that's 2 bucks less than a fortune...... And there is a 149 setup charge.

They have switched to the upc model where you "rent" the kit and have to give it back if you cancel. This is actually a good thing as if it breaks they have to replace it.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:Jeez lads. Get with the now. There are a stack of set top boxes now that give you all of the channels for either free or v cheap

Basically they are running android or raspberry pi or some such and are "front ends" for streaming and various semi legal practices.

So if you are used to Sky HD quality you will likely be disappointed. But if you can put up with this and "Quirky" (Read sh1t) interfaces then they are fine. (And you get ALL the sports channels etc.)

Thinking about changing to Sky Q myself. According to the website it will give me all the same stuff I have (Multiroom, HD, Sky Sports) plus all the new fangled stuff (fluid viewing, pause and resume in different rooms, record 5 programs while watching a 6th, etc. etc.) and cost me 2 bucks a month less if I sign up for 18 months.

Admittedly that's 2 bucks less than a fortune...... And there is a 149 setup charge.

They have switched to the upc model where you "rent" the kit and have to give it back if you cancel. This is actually a good thing as if it breaks they have to replace it.
Just to correct one thing there, they're not semi-legal, they're fully illegal.

Switched to Sky Q myself recently, its an impressive collection of technology - whether that makes for a better product, its too early to tell.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote: Just to correct one thing there, they're not semi-legal, they're fully illegal.

Switched to Sky Q myself recently, its an impressive collection of technology - whether that makes for a better product, its too early to tell.
I haven't looked too deeply into it but there are subscription services that you can get with your dodgey box whose legality seems (to me) to be a grey area.

Personally I'd just rather pay through the snotter for the top quality. It's a lot of money relative to a dodgey box but currently I am lucky enough to be not broke.

You would spend the monthly fee for all services on a night or 2 in the boozer watching the game.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Its not a grey area - its an entirely black and white area. Its illegal. In the UK the courts have taken the view that custodial sentences are appropriate for the suppliers, in Ireland we use the CAB and asset seizure.
I have Bumbleflex
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

johng wrote:Jeez lads. Get with the now. There are a stack of set top boxes now that give you all of the channels for either free or v cheap

There's fantastic boxes and apps available for very cheap that will give you any channel you want in beautiful HD. Paying for SKY and BT to get to us play in Europe and the league is simply not an option for some of us. I feel especially sorry for boxing fans buying all these ppv's on SKY when there is a much better alternative.