European Rugby Champions Cup

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: European Rugby Champions Cup

Post by curates_egg »

Made Of Ale wrote:Struggling to find this online - if both we and La Rochelle win this weekend, the semi-final would be in France. But where? All I can see on the EPCR site is that La Rochelle would have home country advantage, at an EPCR-approved venue.

You'd guess it would be in Bordeaux, but I can't find this anywhere online. I have no recollection of seeing it being announced, as usually happens. Can anyone enlighten me, please? Thinking of whether I need to consider being in France on the weekend of 21st-22nd April...
As La Rochelle has never hosted such a game, there is no precedent, so it is not 100% clear to me.
Nantes is a town, with a big stadium, that is far more relevant and accessible for people living in La Rochelle. I would guess it also has some La Rochelle supporters. So, you could easily imagine them choosing that as their "neutral" French venue. There is a football game there on 21 April but not 22 April.
It was never really clear why Clermont chose Bordeaux in 2012, although it was a super venue, and a super weekend. There is no Top14 in the stade that weekend, so it would be logistically more easy to organise.
I'm sure there are people in La Rochelle who know already. But, as I understand it, the only scenario in which they would host a game is if both we and they win. As such, they will presumably announce it only next week.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

La Rochelle can't choose the venue. Neither did Clermont chose Bordeaux. EPCR chose it (or ERC as it was). We're just lucky that Lansdowne Road happens to be in Dublin. Remember, Munster's home semis have been in Dublin.

Rule 2.4 knockout stages:
..... The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, but the following clubs will have home country advantage in their respective semi-final matches....... etc
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

desperado wrote:La Rochelle can't choose the venue. Neither did Clermont chose Bordeaux. EPCR chose it (or ERC as it was). We're just lucky that Lansdowne Road happens to be in Dublin. Remember, Munster's home semis have been in Dublin.

Rule 2.4 knockout stages:
..... The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, but the following clubs will have home country advantage in their respective semi-final matches....... etc
But you would imagine they certainly negotiate with the clubs, as the goal of ERC/EPCR is bums on seats, so they need to choose the venue most likely to deliver that.
Chaban Delmas is a 33k stadium and would be logistically more easy for them to organise. The new (football) stadium in Bordeaux is 40k. Nantes is 44k.
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

That’s all fine, but the possible semi-final venues are usually announced in advance. I don’t think this has happened this year. I presume we’ll hear in the event that La Rochelle win on Friday.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Made Of Ale wrote:That’s all fine, but the possible semi-final venues are usually announced in advance. I don’t think this has happened this year. I presume we’ll hear in the event that La Rochelle win on Friday.
I'm pretty sure Lyon was announced only after the quarters last year. Google shows articles with the announcement from Sunday 2 April.
It was an educated guess of all fans that it was the likely venue, but - as far as I remember - it was announced after the QF.
By definition, they can't be announced in advance, as they are not known. Presumably options have already been negotiated though.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

C_E. You're correct; Lyon was only announced after as I recall hedging my bets with flights to Lyon

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... 12&t=24759
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

OK. I have a memory of the venues being announced in advance in previous years, but maybe this was before the new EPCR overlords took over. Fingers crossed any semi will be in Dublin.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

curates_egg wrote:
Made Of Ale wrote:That’s all fine, but the possible semi-final venues are usually announced in advance. I don’t think this has happened this year. I presume we’ll hear in the event that La Rochelle win on Friday.
I'm pretty sure Lyon was announced only after the quarters last year. Google shows articles with the announcement from Sunday 2 April.
It was an educated guess of all fans that it was the likely venue, but - as far as I remember - it was announced after the QF.
By definition, they can't be announced in advance, as they are not known. Presumably options have already been negotiated though.
I remember same. Announced venue after quarters. I Snagged two tickets for lyon from clermont site. I still remember the first fifteen minutes ofvthat game. Jayziz. .
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

I could be wrong (I frequently am!!!) but I thought the quarter finalists were asked to nominate a suitable venue for a potential semi final and this was then approved (or selected if you like) by EPCR
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Xanthippe wrote:I could be wrong (I frequently am!!!) but I thought the quarter finalists were asked to nominate a suitable venue for a potential semi final and this was then approved (or selected if you like) by EPCR
They do but I'm not sure it's made public until after the quarters have taken place unlike previously when everyone knew where the potential semi finals would be.

I think :shock: :?.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

kermischocolate wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:I could be wrong (I frequently am!!!) but I thought the quarter finalists were asked to nominate a suitable venue for a potential semi final and this was then approved (or selected if you like) by EPCR
They do but I'm not sure it's made public until after the quarters have taken place unlike previously when everyone knew where the potential semi finals would be.

Made two provisional bookings in Nantes and Bordeaux just in case, never been to Nantes make a change, positive and negative experiences of Bordeaux Namibia and Georgia enough said in the World Cup on the plus side anyone fancy another march from the Irish pub ?, loved that day !.
Flying wedge
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

footrush wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:

Made two provisional bookings in Nantes and Bordeaux just in case, never been to Nantes make a change, positive and negative experiences of Bordeaux Namibia and Georgia enough said in the World Cup on the plus side anyone fancy another march from the Irish pub ?, loved that day !.
I have - when I was there last we were in a nightclub where at certain times every night the DJ plays a piece of music and everyone in the place climbs up on the tables and starts dancing. We only found out when we got home hat the piece of music is called Les Lacs du Connemara!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Made two provisional bookings in Nantes and Bordeaux just in case, never been to Nantes make a change, positive and negative experiences of Bordeaux Namibia and Georgia enough said in the World Cup on the plus side anyone fancy another march from the Irish pub ?, loved that day !.[/quote]

I have - when I was there last we were in a nightclub where at certain times every night the DJ plays a piece of music and everyone in the place climbs up on the tables and starts dancing. We only found out when we got home hat the piece of music is called Les Lacs du Connemara!!![/quote]
What better reason to go !.
Flying wedge
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

A La Rochelle Leinster SF will be in Bordeaux. Possible double header if Racing 92 and Munster win their QFs.

https://twitter.com/RuaidhriOC/status/9 ... 8749516800

SF 1: if Leinster Rugby v Scarlets - Aviva Stadium (Dublin)
SF 1: if Saracens v Scarlets - Ricoh Arena (Coventry)
SF 1: if La Rochelle v Leinster Rugby - Stade Chaban-Delmas (Bordeaux)
SF 1: if La Rochelle v Saracens - Stade Chaban-Delmas (Bordeaux)

SF 2: if ASM Clermont Auvergne v Munster Rugby - Stade Geoffroy Guichard (Saint-Etienne)
SF 2: if Racing 92 v Munster Rugby - Stade Chaban-Delmas (Bordeaux)
SF 2: if RC Toulon v ASM Clermont Auvergne - Alllianz Riviera Stadium (Nice)
SF 2: if RC Toulon v Racing 92 - Allianz Riviera Stadium (Nice)
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

neill_m wrote:A La Rochelle Leinster SF will be in Bordeaux. Possible double header if Racing 92 and Munster win their QFs.

SF 2: if ASM Clermont Auvergne v Munster Rugby - Stade Geoffroy Guichard (Saint-Etienne)
In that case COME ON Scarlets! (and Leinster, of course)
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

olaf the fat wrote:
neill_m wrote:A La Rochelle Leinster SF will be in Bordeaux. Possible double header if Racing 92 and Munster win their QFs.

Some interesting choices....Lack of (Available) Stadiums in Ireland clearly plays to our advantage.

Sarries been shipped up to Coventry in the hopefully unlikely event seams a bit of a Sh1t as with Racing going down to Bordeaux after building their lovely new arena
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Pity was looking forward to the bar in Nantes that Xan had suggested, Bordeaux is a bit staid for me, still anyone fancy a march from the Irish pub to Chaban Delmas again ?. Hotel De La Opera is only €68 sale or return for the Saturday night if anyone is interested don’t fancy being surrounded by crunchers much as I love them in moderation !.
Flying wedge
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Not strictly the Champions Cup, but anyway here goes. Looking at the Challenge QFs, would fancy Newcastle and Pau progress with Stade and Brive in big relegation trouble in the T14. Newcastle and Pau well placed to qualify for the Heiny via their leagues. Edinburgh and Cardiff both basically into the Heiny for next season via the league, both in form should be a cracker. A win for Connacht could see them earn the 20th spot in the Heiny without having to worry about the league.

We also have the 1st legs of the Continental Shield semi-finals this weekend. The 2 sides who make the final will be in the Challenge Cup next season. We have the Krasnoyarsk derby between Enisei-STM and Krasny Yar and then Romanian Sarries v Heidelberg.
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

olaf the fat wrote:

You may not agree, but I’d genuinely feel more confident playing La Rochelle away from home than playing Scarlets at the Aviva.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

A16 wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:

You may not agree, but I’d genuinely feel more confident playing La Rochelle away from home than playing Scarlets at the Aviva.
About 95% of Leinster supporters may not agree with that especially if La Rochelle had Vito, eaton, Kerr Barlow etc back