Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: European Rugby Champions Cup

Post by blockhead »

Latest EPRC Stats
http://www.epcrugby.com/statistics/36219.php
Leinster players hardly feature at all.
However Leinster are the only team to have as yet qualified for QFs, and a home one too.
Only team still unbeaten.
Most points scored.
Least conceded.
Most tries scored.
We must really spread the load.
Well done boys.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

The full 42 quotes on Boudjellal are baffling to say the least, hes basically trying to say Basteraud shouldnt be banned because there was this episode of South Park once. Boudjellal often claims at the very least to regularly be a victim of discrimination so hes looking very foolish here

@leinsterforever not to split hairs but I think if Negri was gay it would be far worse, rather than him not being gay making it better
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

leinsterforever wrote:
Yeah but unless Negri is actually gay and this is known to Bastareaud, he's not calling him faggot as a sort of homophobic thing. He's more just trying to insult him generally.

It's a bit like calling someone a b$&%@#d. If the person in question was actually born illegitimately, and this was being used against him, it would be more of a nasty thing than just calling someone 'b$&%@#d' as an insult.

It's unsavoury all the same
By using the word as an insult, he's saying that to suggest someone is gay should be considered an insult.

Whether or not he thinks the player is actually gay is irrelevant.

The fact that he thinks calling anyone gay IS an insult is the issue.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

leinsterforever wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:The thousands of gay rugby players in EPCR countries would see it as being that bad. The tens of thousands of gay rugby fans in the same countries would agree. Anti gay bullying is still a huge issue in schools. People in this country still get beaten up, bullied, kicked out of their homes for being gay.

The days of any on field transgression from verbal to collapsing a maul being dealt with via a few digs is well past us
Yeah but unless Negri is actually gay and this is known to Bastareaud, he's not calling him faggot as a sort of homophobic thing. He's more just trying to insult him generally.

It's a bit like calling someone a b$&%@#d. If the person in question was actually born illegitimately, and this was being used against him, it would be more of a nasty thing than just calling someone 'b$&%@#d' as an insult.

It’s the fact that the term is used as an insult that matters. That denigrates any person’s gay orientation and casts it as being worthy of abuse.

So it doesn’t really have to be well aimed or appropriate to the player. Not a nice thing to do in any case- at the very least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

artaneboy wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:The thousands of gay rugby players in EPCR countries would see it as being that bad. The tens of thousands of gay rugby fans in the same countries would agree. Anti gay bullying is still a huge issue in schools. People in this country still get beaten up, bullied, kicked out of their homes for being gay.

The days of any on field transgression from verbal to collapsing a maul being dealt with via a few digs is well past us

It’s the fact that the term is used as an insult that matters. That denigrates any person’s gay orientation and casts it as being worthy of abuse.

So it doesn’t really have to be well aimed or appropriate to the player. Not a nice thing to do in any case- at the very least.

Limecat said it better.

leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I just don't like to jump to conclusions without knowing the full facts. I don't use the term myself, so I dunno. But it could be something as simple as reaching for a word that society considers an insult to try to get back at the other lad. Like calling someone a fat b$&%@#d or that sort of thing. Bastareaud, in the spur of the moment, could have just opted for the thing he thought the other guy would least like to get called.

I'm sure there are lots of words out there that would fit into the same bracket. It doesn't necessarily mean that the user of the word thinks to fit the strict definition of the word is a bad thing
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

artaneboy wrote:Limecat said it better.
And I only rewrote it five times before posting.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'm struggling to see what other 'facts' could put a different slant on this. He used a homophobic slur. That's the only fact needed.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

5 years ago, it wouldn't have been a big deal. But times have changed (thankfully), and Basta must know that.
Healy had something similar on Twitter a few years back. Even then, we had already passed to the time when he should have known better.

That said, if he wasn't trying to homophobically slur a player he knew to be gay, and just using the word in a derogatory way (which is thankfully no longer acceptable), I personally don't believe it is as big a deal as some are making it out to be. In that scenario, it reflects badly on him...but it is nowhere near actually homophobically or racially abusing a player, or verbally abusing a ref, in my view.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:I'm struggling to see what other 'facts' could put a different slant on this. He used a homophobic slur. That's the only fact needed.
You’re right, of course.

But that doesn’t mean that LFs analysis of the rationale is wrong. Unfortunately- that makes it no better for Basteraud. Whether he believes the person was gay or not is beside the point- and the final analysis- irrelevant.

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

European Rugby Champions Cup

Post by artaneboy »

blockhead wrote:Latest EPRC Stats
However Leinster are the only team to have as yet qualified for QFs, and a home one too.
Most points scored.
Least conceded.
Most tries scored.
Well done boys.
Think that’s bad, The ‘Irish edition” of the London Times managed to select a team of the week yesterday comprised only of Scarlets (fair enough there), Exeter, Harlequins and Northampton players.

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Most points scored.
Least conceded.
Most tries scored.
Well done boys.
Thats exactly what we do. The really big stats are from players the team is built around.

Few Exeter lads there on tackle count, reckon we caused that too.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Most points scored.
Least conceded.
Most tries scored.
Well done boys.
Thats exactly what we do. The really big stats are from players the team is built around.

Few Exeter lads there on tackle count, reckon we caused that too.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

#1 TACKLE COUNT......99 tackles over 5 matches......sure Van Der Flier made 34 against Connacht!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

brotheroffrank wrote:#1 TACKLE COUNT......99 tackles over 5 matches......sure Van Der Flier made 34 against Connacht!
Yeah- but you know that philosophical question- “if a tree falls in the forest does anyone know?”

The Pro14 generally- and the Irish Inter-Pros specifically, might as well be on the dark side of the moon as far as the English media is concerned.

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

simonokeeffe wrote:The full 42 quotes on Boudjellal are baffling to say the least, hes basically trying to say Basteraud shouldnt be banned because there was this episode of South Park once. Boudjellal often claims at the very least to regularly be a victim of discrimination so hes looking very foolish here

@leinsterforever not to split hairs but I think if Negri was gay it would be far worse, rather than him not being gay making it better
Boudjellal himself now the subject of an EPCR investigation because of him comments on Basteraud issue
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Xanthippe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:The full 42 quotes on Boudjellal are baffling to say the least, hes basically trying to say Basteraud shouldnt be banned because there was this episode of South Park once. Boudjellal often claims at the very least to regularly be a victim of discrimination so hes looking very foolish here

Boudjellal himself now the subject of an EPCR investigation because of him comments on Basteraud issue
Rightly so. He will cry conspiracy too

@Peg Jordi Murphy got into trouble for same F word. Healy used the phrase 'backs against the wall' over a Keisha concert in America IIRC
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Martin Johnson called Flannery a "Pikey" and nothing was done about it.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

blockhead wrote:Martin Johnson called Flannery a "Pikey" and nothing was done about it.
The world wasn't as PC mad back then.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

blockhead wrote:
EPCR have already opened an investigation into the alleged comments by Bastareaud, but Boudjellal was quoted by rugbyrama.fr as saying: "At no point did Mathieu Bastareaud make a judgement on the sexual orientation of the player in question.
"I am worried. What I fear is the Mormon side of EPCR with the Welsh and the Irish."
Hey, how come the Jocks get off scot-free (PTP). :lol:
I'm starting to warm to Boudjellal.
More from that quote by himself. Speaking of us and the Welsh.
“These are people who sell morality when they do not have it. The same people who have ministers who are whipped in private but are considered ‘clean’ guys in public.”
The Welsh will be disgusted.