European Rugby Champions Cup

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

COYBIB
Enlightened

Re: European Rugby Champions Cup

Post by COYBIB »

blockhead wrote: Oh Yeah, 3 Pro14 home QFs.
Up yours Nigels!!!
Ah you have to feel sorry for Nige, if only there was relegation in the Pro14, England would have 9 teams in the quarter finals.

Better change the rules again.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

COYBIB wrote:
Up yours Nigels!!!
Ah you have to feel sorry for Nige, if only there was relegation in the Pro14, England would have 9 teams in the quarter finals.

The B&I Q/Fs?
I presume you mean that there would have to be a pre Qualifying Q/F between two teams.
Or at least an eliminator Q/F.
Last edited by Oldschool on January 21st, 2018, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

COYBIB wrote:
Up yours Nigels!!!

And next year there will no Italian teams.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
papachino
Graduate

Post by papachino »

Munster should have stopped after the third try... they just threw away their advantage.

They would have had a home QF, and a possible SF in the Aviva or London... now they'll have to go to France!
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Good idea to merge Ulster and Connacht and get three strong provinces while saving a packet of money. This would re-energise Ulster and bring a good end to the Connacht experiment.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Raydollard wrote:Good idea to merge Ulster and Connacht and get three strong provinces while saving a packet of money. This would re-energise Ulster and bring a good end to the Connacht experiment.
Nonsense we need Connacht as our junior academy.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

It's not ideal, makes the route to the final that bit harder, but if we cant beat them at home we won't beat them on the road.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Not a huge reward for finishing top of the pile but that's the way it goes

I'm not a fan of the new arrangements for the SF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Raydollard wrote:Good idea to merge Ulster and Connacht and get three strong provinces while saving a packet of money. This would re-energise Ulster and bring a good end to the Connacht experiment.
Saving money? You'd begin the death of rugby in Ireland by 1,000 cuts. Connacht are going places, Ulster are down but have the player base to come good again. Both are providing young and experienced players to the national team and have growing fan bases and are beginning in Connacht's case to be a TV draw in Euro comps.

You cut one pro team in five years revenues will fall, fans will fall away from the provincial game, players will more and more go to France/England. The national side and by extension the whole six nations would suffer. At best we'd be back to the 90's/early 00's, at worse it'd be the beginning of the end of the international game being sidelined by club in England/France. You'd give PRL everything they want.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

TerenureJim wrote:
Saving money? You'd begin the death of rugby in Ireland by 1,000 cuts. Connacht are going places, Ulster are down but have the player base to come good again. Both are providing young and experienced players to the national team and have growing fan bases and are beginning in Connacht's case to be a TV draw in Euro comps.

You cut one pro team in five years revenues will fall, fans will fall away from the provincial game, players will more and more go to France/England. The national side and by extension the whole six nations would suffer. At best we'd be back to the 90's/early 00's, at worse it'd be the beginning of the end of the international game being sidelined by club in England/France. You'd give PRL everything they want.
Quite. One of the more silly ideas raised here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Only the strong survive. Connacht is a basket case. Ulster is getting there. What’s so wrong about having three top European clubs? It will come.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

TerenureJim wrote:

TJ.
Seriously, nobody takes that yoke seriously.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

There's something very wrong in a system where you qualify as top seeds with a 100% record, but you're relying on 2 results to go your way to get a home semi. Your game and an entirely different game. The situation is compounded by having Saracens but let's put that down to an unfortunate draw. Next year it could be Quins etc. The top seeds should not be relying on results elsewhere to get a home semi (should they win their QF)
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Raydollard wrote:Only the strong survive. Connacht is a basket case. Ulster is getting there. What’s so wrong about having three top European clubs? It will come.
To be honest you're probably right we should just bite the bullet and start supporting English teams it's inevitable. Something tells me you'll pick Bristol?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Scarlets have an awful lot of players involved with Wales, playing the week after 6n could be very disruptive for them

At least our opposition will also be discommoded
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

[quote="simonokeeffe"]Scarlets have an awful lot of players involved with Wales, playing the week after 6n could be very disruptive for them

At least our opposition will also be discommoded[/quote
Do Saracens and La Rochelle have many involved ?.
Flying wedge
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

I heard that Sarries have 11 involved, 8 english, 2 welsh and 1 scot
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

The completion of the group stage has left us with a mouth watering vista: Saracen's for starters in Dublin; Scarlets - the greatest hurdle in our quest for a fourth star, IMO, as I can't see La Rochelle getting a win in Llanelli - as the main course also - luckily - in Dublin; followed by hopefully our provincial rivals Munster for dessert in Bilbao. Am feeling confident. BRING! IT!! ON!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Raydollard wrote:Only the strong survive. Connacht is a basket case. Ulster is getting there. What’s so wrong about having three top European clubs? It will come.
We can have our cake and eat.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

riocard911 wrote:The completion of the group stage has left us with a mouth watering vista: Saracen's for starters in Dublin; Scarlets - the greatest hurdle in our quest for a fourth star, IMO, as I can't see La Rochelle getting a win in Llanelli - as the main course also - luckily - in Dublin; followed by hopefully our provincial rivals Munster for dessert in Bilbao. Am feeling confident. BRING! IT!! ON!!!!
Whatever about our run to the final, I can't see Munster overcoming Clermont away in France. If we manage to get to Bilbao, then I expect it to be a classic against our favourite enemy from the tire factory.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”