European Rugby Champions Cup

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: European Rugby Champions Cup

Post by simonokeeffe »

The Ospreys have been getting whipped in the league all season, would hardly call that private
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:The full 42 quotes on Boudjellal are baffling to say the least, hes basically trying to say Basteraud shouldnt be banned because there was this episode of South Park once. Boudjellal often claims at the very least to regularly be a victim of discrimination so hes looking very foolish here

@leinsterforever not to split hairs but I think if Negri was gay it would be far worse, rather than him not being gay making it better
Boudjellal himself now the subject of an EPCR investigation because of him comments on Basteraud issue
Rightly so. He will cry conspiracy too

@Peg Jordi Murphy got into trouble for same F word. Healy used the phrase 'backs against the wall' over a Keisha concert in America IIRC
What Boudjellal has done there is silly-funny, but it's also disgraceful- and he doesn't have Basteraud's explanation of 'heat of the moment' reaction. That's a targeted slight on an unnamed person, and I wouldn't dignify it by devoting time to buy into his obvious distraction technique. If he doesn't get a ban and fine there's no justice in the EPRC. But would that be a surprise?
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Oh for a Lenny Bruce but then they’d be no Micks Spicks Polacks Scmucks Spades etc around to slag off. Free the innocent Basta I say.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

3 weeks for Basteraud
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

artaneboy wrote:
blockhead wrote:Latest EPRC Stats
http://www.epcrugby.com/statistics/36219.php
Leinster players hardly feature at all.
However Leinster are the only team to have as yet qualified for QFs, and a home one too.
Only team still unbeaten.
Most points scored.
Least conceded.
Most tries scored.
We must really spread the load.
Well done boys.
Think that’s bad, The ‘Irish edition” of the London Times managed to select a team of the week yesterday comprised only of Scarlets (fair enough there), Exeter, Harlequins and Northampton players.
Whatdya expect? It's the Times of London for God's sake, the same anti-Irish rag that toppled Parnell, currently owned by that slimebag Murdoch.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

blockhead wrote:3 weeks for Basteraud
That's absurd. The guiding range for 'vile and abusive language' (paraphrasing) is 6-12 weeks depending on the severity of the offence. Even if we take into account his relatively ok disciplinary record, I can't see how the end ban could be anything less than 5-6 weeks.

So if the ban is backdated to the day of the game, it conveniently expires on the very day of the Ireland game?
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

neiliog93 wrote:
That's absurd. The guiding range for 'vile and abusive language' (paraphrasing) is 6-12 weeks depending on the severity of the offence. Even if we take into account his relatively ok disciplinary record, I can't see how the end ban could be anything less than 5-6 weeks.

So if the ban is backdated to the day of the game, it conveniently expires on the very day of the Ireland game?
No, he's banned for the Ireland game.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

At least there's that consolation. He's a guy who I honestly think is world class. I don't think he's rated highly enough in Irish circles; there's regular complaints of fitness, mobility and defensive issues, which honestly there's rarely evidence of on the field. He gets at least 3 penalties a game at the ruck, he's destructive in defence and attack, and he can pass and offload. You rarely see him making silly mistakes or knocking the ball on. And he's (somehow) pretty fast, and lasts the full match. Phenomenal player.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Very soft ban

Unless he got extra extra points for not eating the biscuits

He hasnt offered much in attack for quite sometime IMO
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

cormac wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:

No, he's banned for the Ireland game.
Well that's something at least - have felt the last few times we played France he was sent out deliberately to target Sexton. His tackles on Sexton always seemed to involve head on head contact.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think he's a different animal depending on how well his team is playing, still almost unstoppable if his team have plenty of possession and are on the front foot.

That ban sounds very lenient to me. I can't think of any other examples of it happening like this so maybe there's a precedent I'm not aware of but I would have thought that a stronger message was required. A three week ban will sort of slip under the radar IMO.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

I heard he got 6 weeks but because he pled guilty :shock: it was halved to 3.
youngco
Beginner

Post by youngco »

The fact that Haskell got four weeks makes the 3 weeks for Basteraud look even worse!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

kermischocolate wrote:I heard he got 6 weeks but because he pled guilty :shock: it was halved to 3.
Yeah that's a complete joke.

As a matter of interest, can you plead guilty to reckless behaviour and have your sentence reduced? In other words, can you plead guilty to doing something that you didn't mean to do...and even though the charge actually acknowledges that you didn't do it intentionally, you admit it happened and they go easy on you?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

youngco wrote:The fact that Haskell got four weeks makes the 3 weeks for Basteraud look even worse!
I would rather someone call me a F*g, mick, paddy, croppy or whatever than commit a violent act upon me. EPRC got it dead right.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:
youngco wrote:The fact that Haskell got four weeks makes the 3 weeks for Basteraud look even worse!
I would rather someone call me a F*g, mick, paddy, croppy or whatever than commit a violent act upon me. EPRC got it dead right.
I'd be a "sticks and stones" man myself too.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Okay so Basteraud has got off very lightly, what’s the process and timeline on the EPRC adjudicating on Boudjellal? He’s the really cynical party here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

3 weeks spot on. Sends the message that it is not the 1990s anymore, and players need to use appropriate language on the field, but recognises that it was a potetially hurtful and thoughtless outburst by Basta, rather than a targeted verbal attack on a gay rugby player.

Here is a fact: if it wasn't picked up on the mic, there is no problem, because the player he was shouting at (who supposedly isn't gay) wouldn't have cared, so it wouldn't have been reported.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

curates_egg wrote:3 weeks spot on. Sends the message that it is not the 1990s anymore, and players need to use appropriate language on the field, but recognises that it was a potetially hurtful and thoughtless outburst by Basta, rather than a targeted verbal attack on a gay rugby player.

Here is a fact: if it wasn't picked up on the mic, there is no problem, because the player he was shouting at (who supposedly isn't gay) wouldn't have cared, so it wouldn't have been reported.
A lot of suppositions there. Anyway- he was caught and that’s good.

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

artaneboy wrote:
curates_egg wrote:3 weeks spot on. Sends the message that it is not the 1990s anymore, and players need to use appropriate language on the field, but recognises that it was a potetially hurtful and thoughtless outburst by Basta, rather than a targeted verbal attack on a gay rugby player.

A lot of suppositions there. Anyway- he was caught and that’s good.

I'm not sure we should be using the rugby ref mic to police hate speech (or whatever his outburst would be characterised as) and rugby governing bodies to act as a judiciary. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that. It is a potentially slippery slope for society.

I am certain that I would prefer players not to use language like that. Once it is picked up, therefore, I believe he has to face the consequences.
If anyone was genuinely offended by his use of the word, and then felt that the sanction was not sufficient, I would hope they would use the proper legal avenues to deal with it (France has some pretty ancient hate speech legislation).