chapeau
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: European Rugby Champions Cup

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm hearing we've got Nigel for the QF, could be a helluva game.
I'd be worried about Nigel benefiting Wasps. The good news is he should be influenceable in Landsdowne.
It also means we have to change the ballboys...the guy from last time is a yellow card waiting to happen.
Different competition.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

44,000 tickets sold for the QF
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote:44,000 tickets sold for the QF
Ka-ching!!! :green clap:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Must get it to a minimum of 48,000 to give the impact of a full stadium. Players last weekend noted the impact of a "noisy" stadium. Every good Irish action was greeted with encouragement. English attempts were ignored and 'Chariots' was run off the road after the first 4 bars. We need the remaining 6,000 'referees' to pitch up, so that Nigel knows what decisions to make.
bargepole
Beginner

Post by bargepole »

Nigel Owens has refereed Leinster 16 times in HC/ERCC games, with Leinster winning 12, drawing one and losing 3.

He has refereed Wasps 6 times, with Wasps winning 3 and losing 3.

He has refereed two previous clashes between the two sides, with Wasps winning 35-13 in 2007, and Leinster winning 41-11 in 2009.

So we're going to not only have to play well enough to beat Leinster, but also establish enough superiority to take refereeing decisions out of the equation. No pressure, then.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

bargepole wrote:Nigel Owens has refereed Leinster 16 times in HC/ERCC games, with Leinster winning 12, drawing one and losing 3.

He has refereed Wasps 6 times, with Wasps winning 3 and losing 3.

He has refereed two previous clashes between the two sides, with Wasps winning 35-13 in 2007, and Leinster winning 41-11 in 2009.

So we're going to not only have to play well enough to beat Leinster, but also establish enough superiority to take refereeing decisions out of the equation. No pressure, then.
No telling with Nigel these days, he tends to like a good theme to a match - so i think whoever sets the initial tempo is likely enough to get the run of the green tbh
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

Wasps won 40-33, they will now be a huge challenge as they will be confident after being able to grind out a win in a tight game despite being favourites. We will be lower on confidence after only narrowly beating a team we should have hammered. Right now i make Wasps massive favourites.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Yep they'll be buzzin after that.
We have no chance.
Need a miracle.
We had a good run but the parties over.
and so on.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Cathalsmart wrote:Wasps won 40-33, they will now be a huge challenge as they will be confident after being able to grind out a win in a tight game despite being favourites. We will be lower on confidence after only narrowly beating a team we should have hammered. Right now i make Wasps massive favourites.
I wouldn't overrate that performance. Worcester were well in it at half-time 19-19. Bryce Heem's red card in the 45th minute was the decider, as it created the space for Wasps to score tries. Even against 14 men though they fell off at the end and let Worcester in for two tries and a bonus point. One thing for sure, if we give Wasps the type of chances we gave Cardiff yesterday, they will rip us to shreds. Their scrum was under serious pressure vs Worcester. Play territory, starve them of possession and choke the life out of them is the way to go, IMO. Hell, if we were to eke out scrum penos and knock them over a la our last ERCC quarter final vs Bath I'd be more than happy!!!!
Last edited by riocard911 on March 26th, 2017, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Cathalsmart wrote:Wasps won 40-33, they will now be a huge challenge as they will be confident after being able to grind out a win in a tight game despite being favourites. We will be lower on confidence after only narrowly beating a team we should have hammered. Right now i make Wasps massive favourites.
Don't think they'll be too confident. It was 19-19 at ht and then Worcester had a player red carded for tackling in the air. That doesn't seem all that convinving to me. And it was a fairly strong Wasps team. They've still Launchbury Hughes and Daly to comeback and I think they benched some of next weeks starters but they'd expect to be comfortably better at home than 2nd from bottom.

They're very good going forward but seem quite permeable too (conceded 49 tries in the AP). They really struggled against Toulouse in both games (but just about got results) when there set piece was under pressure. I think we will have an advantage in the scrum at least. I don't think you could call them massive favorites at all.

EDIT Ah Ricaord saw the game.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

In the event of a Leinster win on Saturday:

http://www.epcrugby.com/news/35293.php#.WNpV8en6tkg
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

and best of luck to Glasgow against Cobra Kai
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Do we know what day our semi will be on? I will have to do it in one night, so want to book asap.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

curates_egg wrote:Do we know what day our semi will be on? I will have to do it in one night, so want to book asap.
My guess would be the Sunday. The French love their Sunday matches
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Almost certainly Sunday just checking on Broadcasters. BT appear to have first option each weekend and they will always choose the English option, or possibly British option. So Sunday for us in France somewhere.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

The two potential stadiums are both fairly big,

Allianz Stadium in Nice ( 35,000 ) if Toulon win and Matmut Stade de Gerland, which used to Olympique Lyons home ground before they moved to a brand new stadium. that capacity is 43,000 if Clermont win.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Russell had 2 missed penos to touch. The 2nd was fatal, Saracems went back up the pitch amd scored almost immediately.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Munster v Sarries, aaaargh! This is gonna strain my anti-Munsterness.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

I feel a bit ill typing this, but, the whole Saracens set up is something to marvel at. On pitch and off. And I say that while currently drinking a 4 pint bag of cider on their pitch, watching the 4th semi.

Glasgow simply weren't good enough.

Looks like I'm supporting Leinster for a double this year.