Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
kermischocolate
Mullet

Re: European Rugby Champions Cup

Post by kermischocolate »

simonokeeffe wrote:
aside from being dab handy for one poster on here I dont get Newcastle
Not sure anyone does.

Although, new venues are a good thing. She says. Cautiously.
Mind you, unless by some miracle Glasgow make a final, not a chance am I going to Newcastle. I've never quite got over a traumatic enciunter with the Toon Army on a boat from Cherbourg in the last century!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Newcastle hosted thee sell out games in the World Cup. It had the largest fan zone outside of London (or so I hear). We regularly host the rugby league happy weekend (or however they call it). It's easy to get to from the heartlands - either jump a train from down south or the M1. It has an international airport. We have a five guys...and a couple of nandos. We also have other places to eat and a shite load of boozers. It's small enough to walk around and has lots of hotel rooms at reasonable prices. I'm sure lost of other places have all this so I think it came down to a pretty good bid.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

I'd say Conor O'Shea isn't defending the takeover anymore. Has there ever been a final in Italy?
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Why are England getting to host again so soon after London had it. I'd have thought Italy well overdue or if you looking at the likes of Bilbao then why not anyone of several German cities to help build the profile of the game.
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

domhnallj wrote:Newcastle hosted thee sell out games in the World Cup. It had the largest fan zone outside of London (or so I hear). We regularly host the rugby league happy weekend (or however they call it). It's easy to get to from the heartlands - either jump a train from down south or the M1. It has an international airport. We have a five guys...and a couple of nandos. We also have other places to eat and a shite load of boozers. It's small enough to walk around and has lots of hotel rooms at reasonable prices. I'm sure lost of other places have all this so I think it came down to a pretty good bid.
Where does direct flights to Newcastle? Bit of a pain in the arse to get to from outside the UK. And while I'm partial to the odd burger, having a Five Guys and a few boozers doesn't exactly top, say, Milan or Rome or even Dublin.

Strange decision and they'd better hope there's an Irish side in the final or they'll have a half empty stadium on their hands. Unlike Bilbao, neutrals won't be planning to go to Newcastle for the food, the scenery or the weather.
We're all red on the inside.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Munsterboy wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Newcastle hosted thee sell out games in the World Cup. It had the largest fan zone outside of London (or so I hear). We regularly host the rugby league happy weekend (or however they call it). It's easy to get to from the heartlands - either jump a train from down south or the M1. It has an international airport. We have a five guys...and a couple of nandos. We also have other places to eat and a shite load of boozers. It's small enough to walk around and has lots of hotel rooms at reasonable prices. I'm sure lost of other places have all this so I think it came down to a pretty good bid.
Where does direct flights to Newcastle? Bit of a pain in the arse to get to from outside the UK. And while I'm partial to the odd burger, having a Five Guys and a few boozers doesn't exactly top, say, Milan or Rome or even Dublin.

Strange decision and they'd better hope there's an Irish side in the final or they'll have a half empty stadium on their hands. Unlike Bilbao, neutrals won't be planning to go to Newcastle for the food, the scenery or the weather.
Was at a world cup game there. In fairness the fan zone was easily the best from about 4 or 5 cities I was at. The stadium is pretty decent for crowds as well... Bit of an old school concrete block but decent.

City has some OK restaurants ... Not exactly Rome. But the waterside is OK. The airport has quite a few connections... Decent rather than great. Train connections to everywhere though.

But it is a dark dank granite city. Just felt like the 1970's... Lots of Burtons type shops. And the pubs are sort of OK as long as it isn't student night... In which case you get the puking and falling down on the street by 10pm
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Munsterboy wrote:

I was kind of joking about the five guys etc. Direct flights to Cork as far as I know. I think most places would suffer if an Irish side doesn't get through, the last few finals spring to mind crowd wise. It's a regional city so comparing it to capitals is a bit unfair. It is what it is, reminds me of Dublin to be honest which is why I probably stayed here.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

TerenureJim wrote:Why are England getting to host again so soon after London had it. I'd have thought Italy well overdue or if you looking at the likes of Bilbao then why not anyone of several German cities to help build the profile of the game.
I upgrade my assessment to dab handy for 2 posters on here

Old policy was rotate it between competing countries that arent Italy. New policy is rotate it between competing leagues

@DJ have only been there for one weekend but is the accomm not on a fairly high occupancy rate from stags and hens etc?

Not sure if the locals will come out en masse given Newcastles league attendences, world cup a much different story but hopefully they would.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

TerenureJim wrote:Why are England getting to host again so soon after London had it. I'd have thought Italy well overdue or if you looking at the likes of Bilbao then why not anyone of several German cities to help build the profile of the game.

It suits the Nigels to grow the game in the north of England. More money for them.

I'd say it's no coincidence that since the Nigels took over the running of it, the finals have been in England, France and the next 3 will be in Scotland, Spain and England. That's 1 final in pro12 countries in 5 years and again, no coincidence that it's in Scotland. It's most likely part of their BT reward for siding with the Nigels in the standoff a few years back. That also explains why Italy has not been given any finals.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

simonokeeffe wrote:

Old policy was rotate it between competing countries that arent Italy. New policy is rotate it between competing leagues

@DJ have only been there for one weekend but is the accomm not on a fairly high occupancy rate from stags and hens etc?

Not sure if the locals will come out en masse given Newcastles league attendences, world cup a much different story but hopefully they would.
Yes but since you visited we've had two or three large hotels added (sleeperz down near the waterside, premier inn at the gate where I imagine the Doc met his students, another place near the station) and there is another due to open in 2018. I'd still book early though as the stags and hens do seem to target the town.

You're right about the locals but I think having the final here is to allow easy access from the rest of the country (except maybe the Welsh).

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

domhnallj wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Yes but since you visited we've had two or three large hotels added (sleeperz down near the waterside, premier inn at the gate where I imagine the Doc met his students, another place near the station) and there is another due to open in 2018. I'd still book early though as the stags and hens do seem to target the town.

You're right about the locals but I think having the final here is to allow easy access from the rest of the country (except maybe the Welsh).
well thats only the challenge cup :D

cheers, takes accomm off the worry list, wonder what prices will be like though as theyre down 30k tickets on what they could have gotten in Twickenham? Unless thats semi deliberate hedging of bets in case they dont get either of the Irish big two or 2 English teams playing each other
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

The Doc wrote: Was at a world cup game there. In fairness the fan zone was easily the best from about 4 or 5 cities I was at. The stadium is pretty decent for crowds as well... Bit of an old school concrete block but decent.

City has some OK restaurants ... Not exactly Rome. But the waterside is OK. The airport has quite a few connections... Decent rather than great. Train connections to everywhere though.

But it is a dark dank granite city. Just felt like the 1970's... Lots of Burtons type shops. And the pubs are sort of OK as long as it isn't student night... In which case you get the puking and falling down on the street by 10pm
Damned with faint praise :D

We are not Rome but nowhere is really when you think about it (except Rome maybe). We have two universities here and a higher ed college - every night is student night. Fortunately you can avoid them by moving over a street or two to the decent boozers.

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

domhnallj wrote:
...premier inn at the gate where I imagine the Doc met his students...
Had to check - close - but actually stayed at Premier Inn City Centre (New Bridge Street) - wasn't for the views
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

dropkick wrote:

It suits the Nigels to grow the game in the north of England. More money for them.

I'd say it's no coincidence that since the Nigels took over the running of it, the finals have been in England, France and the next 3 will be in Scotland, Spain and England. That's 1 final in pro12 countries in 5 years and again, no coincidence that it's in Scotland. It's most likely part of their BT reward for siding with the Nigels in the standoff a few years back. That also explains why Italy has not been given any finals.
I'm sure Paddy, Jock, Taff, Luigi, Kurt, Francois could have, (or did) tender for the finals if they had wanted to. Just that Miguel and Nigel put the best offers. The rest didn't. End of.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

I dont care where its held, as long as we are in it!
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

If we are now in the realms of allocating non traditional RU cities to host the final can I propose Tijuana for 2020? Feckin' love the place.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Hornet wrote:
dropkick wrote:

I'm sure Paddy, Jock, Taff, Luigi, Kurt, Francois could have, (or did) tender for the finals if they had wanted to. Just that Miguel and Nigel put the best offers. The rest didn't. End of.
Only problem is it wasn't put out to tender. It was appointment by approach, with the inherent bias that is caused by such procedure.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Only problem is it wasn't put out to tender. It was appointment by approach, with the inherent bias that is caused by such procedure.
Source?
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Hornet wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Only problem is it wasn't put out to tender. It was appointment by approach, with the inherent bias that is caused by such procedure.
Source?
Paul Rees in yesterday's Guardian:
"... the organisers European Professional Club Rugby see the occasion as a chance to expand the game rather than keep it in strongholds."

Rees was and remains a noted shill for the Oligarchs of the new regime. He's close to the pulse. No mention of any tender process there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"